Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And it all comes down to the conclusion that "You don't understand what I'm saying?"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And it all comes down to the conclusion that "You don't understand what I'm saying?"

I think it's very rude for SC's to indirectly called you stupid by saying" You don't understand what I am saying". It sounds bad for people with..

bad communication skills (aspergers or autism)
    no excellent english speaking skills

Maybe we don't clue in on what you are saying but you really show how angry you are by speaking these 7 words or anything similar to that. Some lady wanted me to do a separate transaction on 2 peices of fabrics that was all made up into one barcode. I thought she knew that it wasn't possible so I didn't understand her but you don't have to give me a big long pause of silence and then say that I don't understand what you are saying like you are oh so dramatic to consider me stupid with your stupidity! People who are very well at english but as a second language try their best to explain things but indirectly saying that they need to understand better english by saying these seven words makes you sound racist as well! Frickin damn customers, If I'm wrong I think "You don't understand what I am saying" Implies the receiver of the conversation to become more attentive and listen much better. I dunno
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

I get that a lot too, when people are explaining their recent exploits/life story to me as to why they can't pay their bill. Either they repeat the entire story two or three times after everything I say, if it's not what they want to hear, thinking -maybe- I just didn't -hear- them right, or they say "You're not understanding me!" I just assure them (or try to!) that I DO understand but what I can offer them is... blah, etc, not what they want in the end. Usually those calls end up being the circus ones. Either a freakshow or a merry-go-round.
    Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Communication requires effort on the part of both the speaker and the listener. I think it's pointless to assign (or feel) blame when both parties are trying.

I suggest instead of feeling like they're blaming you or calling you stupid, you could simply say 'No, I don't. Would you mind trying to explain it a different way?' or 'I think I do. I believe you're saying (what they're saying, rephrased into your own words). Am I right?'

It's not a problem specific to either your aspergers, nor to english being your second language. It's not even a problem specific to being human! I've seen cats misunderstand other cats and dogs misunderstand other dogs.

If you go through life expecting that you will, or 'should', usually understand other people, you're just setting yourself up for a lot of pain. Instead, go through life expecting that from time to time, you'll need to ask other people to clarify what they mean. And be prepared to repeat yourself, or rephrase what you say, as well.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
      X