This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your point, sir?

Had a guy call the store today looking for the Compaq desktop PC we had on sale for $299. Of course, being the next to last day of the sale, we were out of them. However, they could still be ordered through staples.com. I tell him this. He takes the news better than I thought, but then inquired about having us set up the computer for him and transfer his data from his old PC to the new one. This is good because we need the Tech dollars.

He wanted to know how much that would cost.

Me: Well sir, I don't have the price sheet in front of me, but our Gold setup package includes all the services you wanted, and I believe it is $129.99. Hold on and I'll double check that. *put customer on hold and retrieves pricing chart.*

Me: Yes, it's $129.99.

SC: And what exactly does that get me?

Me: *lists all the services included in the Gold Package*

SC: And how long does that take?

Me: Up to 48 hours, depending on how much data you have to transfer and how many machines are in the queue at the time your computer arrives.

SC: And how much was that again?

Me: $129.99.

SC *suddenly furious* $130?!?!?! THAT'S WAY MORE THAN YOUR COMPETITORS CHARGE!!!!!!! WHERE DO YOU GET OFF CHARGING THAT MUCH!!?!?!?!?

Me: Actually sir, this package represents about $180 in labor, so right away you're saving $50, and I think you'll find that our prices are very competitive compared to--

SC: NO!!!! THEY'RE AT LEAST 30% HIGHER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!

Me: Sir, our primary competitors are Geek Squad and Firedog. If you compare our prices to theirs, I think you'll find them to be quite reasonable.

SC: NO THEY AREN'T!!!!! OPEN THE YELLOW PAGES, CALL 10 PEOPLE, AND THEY'LL ALL BE $75-85!!!!!!

Me: Well sir, you aren't obligated to buy our services. If you feel they are too expensive, then you don't have to get them. That's fine.

SC:...............

Me:..............

SC: OK, this isn't me coming down on you......

Me: (Yes, yes it is, doucherocket........)

SC: But I don't understand where you get off charging $130 just to plug a cable from one computer to the other and let it sit there!!!!!

Me (at least he's not yelling as loud....): Sir, our package is a lot more sophisticated than that.

SC: What, you actually have a guy sitting there working on it?!?!?

My brain: Abort, retry, fail?

Me: Uh..........yeah.

SC: But all you have to do is connect a cable and let them sit!!!!

Me: No sir, it doesn't work that way. The package includes setup, configuration, and customization in addition to the data transfer, and even that is not quite that simple.

SC: But all that just goes over the cable!

Me: No sir, it doesn't. New PC configuration has to be done manually.

SC (yelling again): BUT THE COMPUTER COSTS ONLY $300!!!!!! THE OTHER GUYS CHARGE $75 TO DO THE SAME TO A $1700 COMPUTER!!!!!!

Me: Sir, it doesn't matter what the computer itself costs. The setup package consists entirely of labor, and that costs the same no matter how much you spend on the computer. And as I said, you're getting a $180 worth of services in that package.

SC: WELL WHAT WAS THAT $30 PACKAGE YOU TOLD ME ABOUT?!?!

Me: I'm sorry? There is no $30 setup package.

SC: WAY BACK WHEN YOU FIRST GOT ON THE PHONE, YOU SAID YOU THOUGHT IT WAS $30!!!!!!!!eleventy!!!

Me (finally starting to lose my patience): I said ONE thirty!!!!

SC: WHERE DO YOU GET OFF CHARGING $130 TO SET UP A $300 COMPUTER WHEN THE COMPETITION CHARGES $80 TO SET UP ONE THAT COSTS $70,000!!!?!?!?!?!?

Me *snap*: SIR, THE COST OF THE COMPUTER IS IRRELEVANT!!!! (yes, I told him his argument was irrelevant ) What you are paying for is LABOR, and the about of LABOR involved is the same regardless of how much the computer costs!!!!!!

SC: WHAT'S YOUR NAME?!?!?!

Me: Dave1982.

SC: OK, Dave1982, I'M COMING DOWN THERE RIGHT NOW AND WE'RE GONNA TALK ABOUT THIS FACE-TO-FACE!!!!! *click*

I warned my manager about it, and if anything he was even angrier than me.

MOD: If he's looking for free Tech, he can just keep looking 'cause there's no way I'm giving it to him!!!!!

Me: Yeah well, with any luck he'll come in when I'm on lunch.

MOD: He isn't coming in.

Thankfully, he turned out to be right; the guy never did come in (at least, not as of when I went home).

But damn.....what a fucktard.

1) I've looked into the prices that Geek Squad and FireDog charge, and our prices ARE competitive. We don't compete with mom-and-pop computer stores or the kid down the street who'll gladly fix your computer for gas money because he thinks it's fun.

2) While not being especially hard, it's a lot more complicated than plugging a cable and hitting a couple buttons.

3) this is a labor charge. It's the same no matter how much the computer costs.

and most importantly

4) Like I told him at the beginning of the call, if you don't like the price of the service, DON'T BUY IT!!! It's not like I was holding a gun to his head and forcing him to buy some over-priced service he didn't want or need. Nor had I offered the service to him. He ASKED for it. So don't act like I'm trying to stuff it down your throat.

Asshole.....
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    Me *snap*: SIR, THE COST OF THE COMPUTER IS IRRELEVANT!!!! (yes, I told him his argument was irrelevant ) What you are paying for is LABOR, and the about of LABOR involved is the same regardless of how much the computer costs!!!!!!

Cost is irrelevant...Your logic is Irrelevant...resistance is futile...

On a side note, I am totally adding "doucherocket" to my vocabulary.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

What a tool.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

What day is your last day again? I want to sit outside the staples store with a yellow lawn chair and a icy cold sweet tea.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'll join you Evil. I'll bring some popcorn!
          My Wajas cave

Comment

You know what? I never understood that either. Why do SC's get so mad at you when you quote them a price they are unwilling to pay? If they want the service, you pay the price someone is asking. If you don't want it, then don't pay it.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Don't forget a camera, I'll bring the camcorder though. This puppy is going on YouTube.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                Don't forget a camera, I'll bring the camcorder though. This puppy is going on YouTube.
                be sure to post the link
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

OP Idiot SC. I have a weird way to make computer self-destruct, or, more accurately, there's something about my personal electric field that makes Windows deconstruct (I never had so many problems with teh Commodores in my life). I *know* what a Windows reinstall looks like. I'm not sure how much of that goes into an original set-up, but I do know the joys of the next week spent finding all the little programs that still need re-install. It would almost be worth 130 not to have to do it m'self.

Happily dh is a techie. No, a Mac is not an option. No, Linux is not an option. Yes, we have had this discussion for 6+ years.

Comment

Linux is the only option; all other options suck old man ass.

We Are Linux. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      Linux is the only option; all other options suck old man ass.

We Are Linux. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile.
                      you know, I know there is a member who used to have the coolest avatar for making fun of the borg
                      "we are the canadian borg, prepare to be assimilated, resistence would be impolite, pour l'assimilation en français, presse deux"

sorry, I know, really OT, but I thought it was funny
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Mmmmmmm Star Trek. *drooooooooool*

Can I bring the brownies and the alcohol???

(Sarcasm Alert)

And Dave, how DARE you charge 130 dollars for that service?! I mean, like, techs only get 5 dollars an hour, right? Blah.

And after all, that idiots 300 purchace should TOTALLY give him the survice for free. I mean, it's not like there are even computers for SALE there that cost more than his pwecious widdle 300 dollar one.
                        "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Worse

I know what is on this idiot's mind.

He has seen a price quote from some fly-by-night operation or someone working out of their basement. Hech, if I was to take on that job I would charge less than a $100 to do it. But then I don't have to pay for a storefront, business rates on telephones etc and all the other taxes that running a full time business creates.

However, with over thirty years of experience in computers I know I can do a good job.

But this guy thinks all you do is hook a cable between two machines and away you go (if it is that easy why not just do it himself?), how is he going to judge the abilities of any CHEAP tech he hires? He be lucky if he get *ALL* his data transfered uncorrupted, much less getting the programs transferred/reinstalled.

Comment

meh. personally i wouldn't have paid 130 for that either

but that's only cos i'm use to setting up my own computers. and in a way... sometimes it's just fun... like a new car smell

heck... i'm at the point now where ... i don't think twice about opening up my macbook and doing my own upgrades. Of course the fact that it was cheaper to upgrade the memory and hard drive myself was cheaper than having it done for me is also a factor.
                            Last edited by PepperElf; 10-18-2008, 04:46 PM.

Comment

If it's so simple, why doesn't he just get a cable and do it himself?

I have my own personal tech support...his name is Dad. I also have my brother who can read a dummies book and then go pass a certification test, so if I need software help...then again, he doesn't use the software I really need help with. Blah.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X