Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the number of files I'm looking at right now.

A construction company sent us a request for bid, with links to an ftp site to download drawings. I go to the ftp site and see there are 450 files that I'll have to download and sort through. No way Jose.

I call the company and ask if they can send me a CD with pertinent drawings. "Sure" So the disk comes today.

I pop it in and find 450 pdf's staring at me!

The worst part? They are saved as "FILE00001" and right next to it is "FILE001" all the way up to 225 for both.

This sucks giant assholes.

dude i know EXACTLY how you feel. We do contruction here, but generally its only 4 or 5 plans we need out of the gazillion in a bid package. Such a huge pain in the ass that people cant organize shit better.

Comment

No, I'm sorry, that does not suck giant assholes- that ended when you was teh file naming system.. I think we need to find something more foul.

sucks Superfund sites. Much more appropriate- so much more toxic in different sorts of way.

Comment

Quoth cawaker View Post
        dude i know EXACTLY how you feel. We do contruction here, but generally its only 4 or 5 plans we need out of the gazillion in a bid package. Such a huge pain in the ass that people cant organize shit better.
        Thus far, I've made through 79 files, and found 3 showing our product. There will be more lately, but damn it I do not need 40 files telling me the grade of the dirt, or the temperature of the soil!

Comment

I think that whoever sent those files, gets a hard-on doing those PDF files. I honestly do know how you feel. I got sent something that had about 100 PDF Files and only 10, where actual things that had anything on them. The others where blank.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Speaking of PDFs, I'd like to smack some of the people that use them. Why, why, why do they save *every* page of a report as a new PDF? I don't mind that for single page items, but some of the longer ones...just piss me off. I have better things to do than spend an hour dealing with an idiot's handiwork

Also, if one more idiot sends me a report, but doesn't put the company name somewhere on the file...I'm going to hit them. Calling things "audit 2008" is all good, but not when you get in several dozen similarly-named reports, and can't figure out what goes with what...without opening them.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

If anyone is interested...

I finished going through the 450 files. And printed....

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                If anyone is interested...

I finished going through the 450 files. And printed....

PDFs are a significant part of my working existence these days, and I have a lineup of project managers who would have had unpleasant words with me if I'd tried to shove off my work on some helpless supplier. When I'm asked to send specific documents, I sent those documents only. Because sending every document related to a project is not just time wasting, it could end up being a breach of confidentiality.

I vote for charging the client for your technical assistance, and stringing the specific offender up by the soft and dangly bits.
                What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                X