Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, for a good chunk of the US 20-40 centimeters of snow in February means the world is going to end and it's time to stock up for the long haul should emergency rescue dogs not get to them before they freeze to death.

For me it means the sun rose so I could see the shit I have to shovel.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
      I can sympathize. I live in FL, and we deal with this mass hysteria every time there is a hurricane projected to hit. And again with people buying epic shittons of perishable goods, like steak and ice cream.
      Same back in the New Orleans area. Granted, water and batteries are the first thing to sell out (despite the fact that grocery stores will literally bring in 18-wheelers carrying nothing BUT water because of this)...Tho my now ex-roomie (thank goodness) seemed to be honestly amazed that batteries were in short supply five days after Hurricane Isaac this past summer x.x

As for meats...well, we had really good coolers and a freezer that we *gasp* actually kept SHUT except when we really had to grab something out of it...plus a couple of grills and an outdoor fireplace that doubled as a makeshift grill, thanks to the miracle of cast-iron cookware ^_^ So it worked out. Wouldn't wanna do it again, tho.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        I could easily - with a bit of thought for balanced nutrition - buy all the necessary food for several months of off-the-grid camping at my local grocery store, and provide a varied diet.
        Or a couple cases of MREs, a case is 12 meals, with all the calories and nutrients needed for an adult for one day(most MREs are 1200-1400 calories), with a 10 year shelf life, some are ok, some are awful, but it's food, and in an emergency, flavor isn't a top priority.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth TattooedMommie View Post
          Y'all here at cs.com may not realize how much just knowing this site's here does help in the midst of a rough shift.

Can't think of how many times I've thought in the very back of my head "You don't know it, you nasty little SC, but there is a quirky guy in England that you pretty much owe your life to right about now." It brings a smile to my face.

Glad you made it through TM. We've had 'OMG911tyBBQ it's a hurricane/blizzard/alien invasion' threads before, but I don't know that anyone's pointed out people like the Tuna Lady; smug about being so on-the-ball prepared. I imagine you probably DID see some prepared people in your lines, only you wouldn't notice, because they were the ones with fairly normal purchases topping off the stuff they already have at home. Stuff they have because, you know, they live in New England. And it's Winter.

And love the idea about donating emergency stock to a food pantry afterwards. You should call it in to the local news (or tip the pantry to do so). It'd make a good fluff piece: "Wondering what to do with all the (news euphemism for 'crap we scared you into buying')? Darlene Saneperson of the local Food Pantry says they can always put it to good use..."

Comment

sms -- Don't be silly. We all know the stores will be all too HAPPY to give full cash refunds without question for those food items that nobody kept the receipts for. Ditto the used gas-powered generators (people try to return these waaaaay too often despite the nice clear signs saying you can't...)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

In re MREs - I am stuck, some of them have mushrooms or palm products in the ingredients. Mushrooms cause anaphylactic shock in me, and palm products cause gastric dumping, and as an aside, shellfish [clams and oysters mainly] cause violent reverse projectile gastic dumping.] I have to be very circumspect about food content.

Quoth sirwired View Post
              In the interest of cross-cultural education...
              Canned beef exists, but for whatever reason is not popular. (Which is odd, given that beef is probably the most common meat in the US.)
              tinned beef has a rather bad reception in the US from the WW1 era - 'bully beef' was a really nasty original tinned beef that frequently was rotten or otherwise inedible. Sort of how spam and chipped beef got a bad rap in WW2. I will point out that my dad, as with others in the same area as he was in [3d Army] pretty much refuse to eat certain foods - specifically chipped beef on toast, scrambled eggs, french toast and anything that could be conceivably made with a slice or more of bread, powdered milk, flour, powdered eggs and chipped beef. See, the army provided bread trucks, so frequently the only 'hot food' they would see for weeks on end that didn't come out of a 'C' ration can was made of those ingredients.
              Quoth Seshat View Post
              Vast snippages.

Wow. I would consider that a severe paucity of necessary and/or sensible groceries, especially in an area which is prone to bad weather. Being unable to get five kinds of dehydrated grains and seven of legumes at my local grocery store - not to mention the specialty deli which handles dried stuff, nuts, etc - would confuse me.

How do you guys make nutritous and tasty soups without a selection of pulses and grains to soak and put in them?

... never mind.

So yeah, I guess I was making assumptions about what types of foodstuffs are readily available in the USA.
              It does make some things easier to understand.
              It is actually *much* better now, though we actually have a very small 'small town IGA' type grocery in my town.

Historically 75% or so of the US population did not live in cities, or really suburbs up until the 50s, and until the late 60s early 70s the average home town grocery had: speaking as small town Western NY state.]
              Beef, Pork, Chicken, Ham, Bacon, hot dogs, 'breakfast sausage' and 'cold cuts' - typically bologna, sliced ham, sliced beef, liverwurst, sliced turkey. Turkey was a Thanksgiving and Christmas item, Lamb was an Easter item. If you wanted goose or duck, you better hunt or know a hunter. Fish was found typically as frozen fish sticks, canned tuna, canned salmon and canned oysters.

Greengrocery fresh
              potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, green beans, corn on the cob in season, lettuce [iceberg] radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, and in season apples, oranges, bananas, pumpkins, grapes, watermelon, canteloup, button mushrooms [forgot those]

Veggies frozen - corn, peas, spinach, lima beans, succotash, green beans, and I honestly can not remember any frozen fruit from that era, it tended to be canned.

There was a fair amount of canned fruit and veggies, but we actually had a half acre garden and canned our own. Seasoning was salt, pepper, paprika and parsley. You might find chili powder and curry powder. Sweet spices were cinnamon, cloves, 'pumpkin pie spice' and nutmeg. Condiments were worchestershire sauce, catsup, mustard and a variety of homemade relishes made from other ingredients [like pickle relish, which is its own condiment now.]

Honestly, when you go over to Lilleks and see the horrible food ideas, those cookbooks were from companies trying to get people to cook something other than the same 10 or 12 set meals every week from birth to death. The food situation was *dire* - think of how the British government tried to ditch people out of the whole WW2 food restriction menus with education programs, and how all the womens magazines started shoving out all the recipes, and pushing trying new foods. If you were whitebread normal caucasion WASP [white anglosaxon protestant] US, with no 'ethnic' tossed into the blend, you didn't think of all the fun and odd foods available. At least I had an Amish mom, so I had some good stodgy Germanic food to dig into, along with the stuff my dad tried in Europe and brought home. Back in the 60s, I actually was probably the only kid in my school other than my brother to actually eat a fresh artichoke boiled up and with drawn butter in 1967. [Thanks to Dad being stationed at the Presidio at one time ]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Never been a fan of MRE's. Getting them during Katrina and Isaac did nothing to alter my opinion of them.

I would think that WW2 vets, in particular, would shy away from peanut butter and bubble gum (or was that chocolate?)

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                chipped beef on toast
                ...aka, "Sh** on a Shingle", as I recall

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Never been a fan of MRE's. Getting them during Katrina and Isaac did nothing to alter my opinion of them.

I would think that WW2 vets, in particular, would shy away from peanut butter and bubble gum (or was that chocolate?)
                  Had to have been chocolate; that was one of the main things included in WWII field rations, IIRC.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  chipped beef on toast
                  Exactly what we called it in the Navy. First time, not bad... five hundredth time? Not so much.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Yep, that's what my father called it. He was familiar with that from his Army days.

In some stores it's now possible to get things that weren't around when I was a kid. You can buy canned shrimp, mackerel (that was a trend back in the 70's I think), Vienna sausauge (tiny little hotdogs), and chicken. Sardines, too, but those have been around forever.

Last time we lost power from a storm (2006), we bought a couple bags of ice and dumped them into a styrofoam cooler, and put cold cuts, butter and half & half in there. We tried not to open the fridge or freezer, and because we had a lot of stuff in there, we lost almost none of it. Turns out that when you have a packed freezer, the frozen items last longer than they do if you have a lot of empty space in there.

We were lucky in that we could light the gas burners on the stove, so we could cook, and we could make coffee (yay for an old-fashioned stove-top percolater!)

We did have a quite a bit of snow over the last couple of days, but then it's supposed to warm up to somewhere in the 40's (F) next week.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I grew up in a valley - when the blizzards would hit, there would be no way in or out except via snowmobile. We'd cook outside on bbq's and camp-stoves, and my parents had a wood-fueled cast iron fireplace insert, so we would cook inside on that - boiled, soups, stews, mac & cheese, spaghetti & sauce - it was easy.
                      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                        For grains; other than rolled and steel-cut oats, none are in common use in unground form. (My store carries a few others, but it's a really nice grocery store; your typical US store would not carry them, except for maybe barley.)
                        Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Vast snippages.

Wow. I would consider that a severe paucity of necessary and/or sensible groceries, especially in an area which is prone to bad weather. Being unable to get five kinds of dehydrated grains and seven of legumes at my local grocery store - not to mention the specialty deli which handles dried stuff, nuts, etc - would confuse me.
                        I don't know what his stores are like, but I have no problem finding dried legumes/grains. Even at Wal-Mart.

Shoot, the grocery store across the store from me has all kinds of dried legumes/grains. In bulk. As a matter of fact, I need to go get some quinoa for a salad I'm making. But not until tomorrow, not really a fan of walking in 30mph wind (That's sustained, we've been getting gusts to 50mph today. Ah, the coming of Spring!).

Even though it's not a legume/grain, they even have regular couscous and Israeli couscous!

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        Ah yes, for a good chunk of the US 20-40 centimeters of snow in February means the world is going to end and it's time to stock up for the long haul should emergency rescue dogs not get to them before they freeze to death.

For me it means the sun rose so I could see the shit I have to shovel.
                        Well, the 2 feet we got at the end of December 2006 did shut down ABQ, including the Sunport. But then, that snowfall also broke 50 year records. That's the most snow I've ever seen and ever want to see. I'm a born-and-bred, cold-blooded, southern NM variety desert rat. I don't do snow or cold.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'm so glad I was off this weekend and got to stay in. We're still expecting a blizzard tonight tho supposedly. It's been nuts at work with people getting propane/butane cook tops, heaters and such. I was telling people that they are for outdoor use only but gave up after a while because people didn't care. "Oh I'll just open the window". One woman had the good sense to not buy the buddy heaters when she saw that it said outside use only. She was going to buy them for her elderly parents but didn't want them to possibly burn the house down.

Patiokitty you must live in the same neighbourhood as I, seeing as how my local grocery store is also under renos, lol. They got some nice spiffy new cash's going in now that I've only ever seen at the Elizabeth Ave location. I'll be quite happy when it's all done tho.

Comment

I never would have guessed that New England gets snow in February! Ever! No, sir. Not even after both trips I took up to Boston to visit my girlfriend for Valentine's Day ended up getting a bit fouled by travel hiccups due to blizzards and ice storms and snow and other weather phenomena! Nope, never would have guessed!
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Snow in New England in February? Inconceivable! The next thing you know they'll be telling us it gets hot in Key West in August.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                Vast snippages.

Oh, certainly, any store here larger than a quickie-mart will have dried beans in vast variety; probably a dozen or so. (But are those edible without cooking? I can't say I've ever tried. I know one, Kidney Beans, are at least slightly toxic without cooking.)

And yes, we do have dry nuts available; again, in decent variety at anything larger than quickie-mart. (Although I can imagine getting tired of trail mix (fruit/nut blends) pretty quickly.)

And when I said "no grains" I was forgetting about rice of course, and the recent entry of Quinoa. Although, again, I wasn't aware you can eat either without cooking. The only grains I would eat without cooking are rolled grains, which are already pretty much pre-cooked.

Comment

Working...
                                X