This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    Snow in New England in February? Inconceivable!
    You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
      Damn, beat me to it.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Pssh. Snow in New England in February? That would be like 99% humidity abd 95 F heat in the deep south in August! How silly -_-

PS as for the MRE thing...I know we've gotta have someone around here who can verify this, even if only indirectly: It's my understanding that the MRE peanut butter back in WW2 was meant to , uhm..."stop one up" so that one could last longer when fighting in the trenches...And that the gum, I believe, reversed the effect. Ewwww.

The chocolate, iirc, was actually loved, as it lasted forever, made great cocoa, and could be used as a melee weapon in a pinch. You didn't so much break bits of it off as hack them off. Preferably with a broadsword.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Replace New England with Minnesota for me here. You'd swear walking into the grocery stores (and Wal-Mart) before some type of blizzard such as the one we just got this last weekend that the store was having some kind of going out of business sale going on given how busy the place is. And as what was written earlier most people are buying stuff that makes no sense to be buying such as frozen foods, microwaveable foods, etc.

And for those who care here's what I purchased:

- A few packs of batteries for flashlights and other devices in case the power goes out. Besides I didn't know off hand if my flashlights had working batteries so I wasn't going to take any risks.
          - An 24 pack of bottled water.
          - A few liquid water enhancers by MiO.
          - Some socks (kinda needed to get some new ones anyways).
          - A few loafs of bread (including my favorite type of bread which is potato bread).
          - A jar of Goober Grape (its peanut butter and jelly in a jar).
          - A bag of Doritos.....

Thankfully I never experienced any power outages here. Seems like it happens at least once a year after a major storm here during winter.
          New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
          New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

We still had a case of water from Sandy and food in the freezer, so we didn't need to buy anything really. Nothing happened to us except for a tree coming down in the courtyard (my favorite tree; it had a mourning dove nest right near my window).

Apparently ASM was getting reamed out yesterday by some old lady about how the scallions didn't look good (as of then, we still hadn't restocked produce), how dare they, blah blah. ASM said the lady wasn't a regular customer and probably didn't even live here.

SSL: Sucky Scallion Lady
            AR: Awesome Regular

SSL: "I'm going to complain! Your produce doesn't look fresh!" Blargle rant rave scream
            AR: *locks eyes with SSL* "Look, lady. In case you haven't noticed, we had a massive blizzard over the weekend. They couldn't get any deliveries. They had to stay open through the storm, and the workers who were here on Saturday risked their asses to get here. I don't want to hear another word from you."
            SSL: *jawdrop, splutter* "How dare you--"
            AR: "No. How dare YOU think you're more important than anyone else, you ungrateful harpy. This is why this town gets a bad rap, because of people like you." *to ASM* "Thank you, man. I know it must have been utter hell, but thank you for staying open. We needed baby food Saturday afternoon, Walgreens was closed so we came here."
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I love it when great customers say the things we're not allowed to
              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Indeed I just wish I had seen that (I was the only cashier on Saturday, so I probably rang up AR).
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

For some reason, the supermarkets around here always seem to stock the dried beans in the ethnic aisle with the products labeled in Spanish. What, do they think only Spanish-speaking people eat beans? Or barley, come to think of it, that's also shelved with the beans. Also split peas, yellow or green, come to think of it.

My kosher grocery, which doesn't have that many Spanish-speaking customers, puts the beans right next to the soup mixes, which kinda makes sense. The rice is right opposite the aisle from the beans, and they do have jars of various oddball grains, but no wheat. (OK, there's one small pack of something labeled "Gruenkern", which may be wheat of some sort. Never bought it, because I've no idea what to do with it.)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    For some reason, the supermarkets around here always seem to stock the dried beans in the ethnic aisle with the products labeled in Spanish. What, do they think only Spanish-speaking people eat beans? Or barley, come to think of it, that's also shelved with the beans. Also split peas, yellow or green, come to think of it.

My kosher grocery, which doesn't have that many Spanish-speaking customers, puts the beans right next to the soup mixes, which kinda makes sense. The rice is right opposite the aisle from the beans, and they do have jars of various oddball grains, but no wheat. (OK, there's one small pack of something labeled "Gruenkern", which may be wheat of some sort. Never bought it, because I've no idea what to do with it.)
                    Yup, a southern German product, cook it like risotto, add it to soups like barley. I think [but am not entirely certain] it is actually made of spelt, though it might also be from einkorn which is a parallel form of wheat [I tend to think spelt = Italian peninsula, Einkorn = Germanies, Emmer = Egypt]
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      For some reason, the supermarkets around here always seem to stock the dried beans in the ethnic aisle with the products labeled in Spanish.
                      Back in NOLA, we had that a little bit, but mainly with the brands actually imported from Mexico -- most of the dried beans and such were either by themselves or in a "Cajun foods" section, as the locals eat a LOT of beans, especially red (kidney) beans (every Monday...) ^_^
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Why are people so dumb?

Had my share of idiots from that storm. My library decided we should be open for 2 hours Friday morning *grumblgrumble*. I had 120 people in 2 hours. I was the only one on the desk for more than half that -_- 90% of them got DVDs. Because that's right up there with bottled water and canned food for emergencies. Gods forbid they actually have to talk to each other or hear themselves think.

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
                          Why are people so dumb? ... hear themselves think.
                          Those crickets are too damn loud!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Grünkern YUM! The litteral translation is greenkernel, because of the light greenish colour. Yep it's made from spelt, in German it's called Dinkel. It's havested early and thus not fully ripe. It's dried and stores just as well as fully ripe spelt. The idea behind it was at first to salvage at least some of the harvest, when weather conditions were bad. But when the farmers found it tastes great they started to do it on purpose.
                            If you can get it milled (or can mill it yourself) it makes a delicious soup. I use the full corn often instead of rice. You can't use it to bake bread, though.
                            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Back in NOLA, we had that a little bit, but mainly with the brands actually imported from Mexico -- most of the dried beans and such were either by themselves or in a "Cajun foods" section, as the locals eat a LOT of beans, especially red (kidney) beans (every Monday...) ^_^
                              mmmm Tujague's Cajun Pot Roast .... and their red beans and rice ... /drool
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

AD -- Heeheehee, yup ^_^ Now, pronounce the name of the place without having to look it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X