This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was a first...

So, basically, when there's nothing else to do at the Convenience store I roll up my sleeves, grab some chemicals, and begin scrubbing the hell out of anything that looks like it hasn't been touched in months.

This means that I am constantly cleaning (with the other person on shift hanging out at the registers which I don't mind.) The reason? The store gets REALLY dusty and dirty with people constantly running through it, especially when a good number of them are public worker/construction/painter people.

It's constant catch up!

So, I was cleaning out the vents on one of the small freezers we have to keep the grill food chilled. Really dusty, and kind of sticky being right near the soda/slushee machine and being where the condiments are stored.

I hear someone at the register.

SC: You know, I always see her cleaning when I come in here. Is the store really that dirty? Doesn't she have something better to do? Should I not come in here because of the filth?
    Me: *lifts eyebrow but refuses to break from cleaning the dinglehopper.*
    CW: What else could she be doing? You're the only person in the store.
    SC: Well maybe someone could fill in all those lottery tickets your missing!
    Me: *head slams against the dinglehopper.*

There are so many things wrong with this, but ugh. -.-
    Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 02-22-2013, 01:07 AM.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Would he prefer that you never clean anything, and actually allow the store to get so dirty that you lose business? Some people just like to complain.

Also, I don't know how your store does things, but at my store only the managers have the keys to the lotto ticket dispenser thing, and they only refill it once a day to make inventory easier.
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

The tickets are kept in the back room which only a certain number of people have keys to. Said people are also the only ones to know how to record which books are going up into the case. (We just leave the keys to the case in there because some tickets get stuck and we need to be able to open them.)

However, what makes it even better is that we've been out of a few specific tickets (the really popular ones, of course) for nearly a week, and this is because we didn't get a delivery of tickets until today. (Hooray for Monday holiday!)

I was just sitting there, scrubbing, thinking, "Really?! They'd complain about the place being dirty, they complain about me cleaning it! Sorry for being willing to upset my dust allergy so that our customers don't have to deal with mold getting in their soda?"
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I think the Health Department would disagree with his opinion on the matter. Guess whose opinion would win in a contest of gives a damn?
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I wish all stores had employees so conscientious.

When to Leone de Foode last night to pick up some OTC meds. What I needed was on the top shelf.

It was covered in dust. Expiration date was good. It's just something that doesn't move much, and apparently nobody bothers to dust.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I was in one of the aisles in the grocery part of the store I work in straightening the shelves (pulling things forward, etc.) and overheard this gem, " They're always cleaning and straightening in this store. I think they should wait until an hour before they close." I so wanted to say to her, that, of course, we should do that. I mean, it's not like we ever want to go home or anything.
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

tell him the store motto is "if you have time to lean, you have time to clean"?

or that "i like cleaning. don't you?"

Comment

Person came back, and guess what?

I was cleaning again! This time I was cleaning the shelves that the fresh sandwiches are kept chilly in, as well as the burners for the coffee machines. Both things had honestly not been cleaned in a very long time, to the point where I did in fact find sticky mold stuck in some crevices that I was very, very determined to completely obliterate. I think someone had accidentally spilled soda in there and then didn't bother to tell us. You didn't see it until you actually pulled the shelf fully out of its place.

Oh man, this time though he shot his mouth off to the person on the register... who is my boss... who is the OWNER OF THE STORE. You should've seen him go off on this guy. Boss does not take crap from anyone, and it's funny because he's usually very soft spoken.

I don't think that guy is going to complain about me cleaning the store again.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                  Oh man, this time though he shot his mouth off to the person on the register... who is my boss... who is the OWNER OF THE STORE. You should've seen him go off on this guy.
                  I wish I could've. I love seeing good bosses give it to SCs with both barrels. And we all love seeing SCs get what they have coming.

Do you remember what all your boss said to the jerk?
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

You are actively cleaning the store, and this customer believes that indicates the store is unhealthily dirty?

Holy crap that is a lapse in logic that would even disable Wheatley. Yes, I am being totally serious. It's even more confounding than "This statement is FALSE."
                    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                    Fiancee: What?!
                    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

The general gist of my boss' rant went as follows.

"Do you want to clean the store instead?"
                      "So, you're really upset that she is willing to get elbow deep in dirt and grim to make sure you don't have to deal with it?"
                      "We never close. We are a 24-7 operation, when do you think we have time to clean?"
                      "So what you're basically telling me is that you want her to magically become invisible so that you don't have to have your delicate constitution upset that someone is taking an active interest and role in your health and assurance that our store is clean?"
                      *This was my favorite part*
                      SC: Well her hands are dirty now!
                      Boss: ..... *takes a five second pause to really let the idiocy of that statement sink in* You honestly think that she doesn't wash her hands after cleaning something? For the love of God she's already washed her hands four times just in the course of cleaning those shelves! Get the hell out! I'm tired of hearing your voice. Don't bother coming back either. I don't need people like you encouraging my employees to not clean.

Comment

That...that was beautiful. I am totally in awe. Your boss kicks ass, and that is the understatement of the year!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

You should see him when someone tries to harass us after not having their ID on them when they are trying to buy cigarettes.

Both he and his daughter are very much papa/mama bears when it comes to the employees.

Comment

I wish we could clean the store I woork in like that.

But with only one person working most of the time it is almost impossible. I may clean a shelf or two a night but anything more? No way. I am not going to be down on the floor in the store alone at night.

Our shifts are 7am to 4pm, noon to 9pm, and 9pm to 7am. I work the 9 to 7.
                            Morning and afternoon are too busy (so they say) to clean.

Night shift is weird. I can stand there and wait for people to come in for hours. No one shows. The minute I pick up the cleaning supplies 5 people walk in. Same way if I want to step outside for a smoke. As soon as I light up people pull into the lot.

The owner always complains about the dust. So do our customers. I tell him and them I clean what I can when I can. I tell the customers THEY are the reason I can't get anything done.

I see the SAME people 3 to 5 times a night. They buy a cigar to roll their weed in, drive around and smoke it, then back to buy another.

Buy a 5 pack and stay away for a few hours and maybe I can clean most of the shelves. I already told the owner that I will NEVER get down on the floor at night by myself to clean the bottom ones. Either HE cleans them or when he has two workers between noon and 4pm he can have one of THEM do it.

Comment

what an awesome boss.

but yes, there are some people who really DO want the employees to be invisible when they clean. I dunno why but it just... offends them.

Comment

Working...
                              X