This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, and a bit of a fraud....

Long time lurker, and I don't work retail (marine science actually) But I get a lot of sucky clients/colleagues in my job. So I finally decided to sign up

Oooooooh, marine science!

I'm fascinated. Tell us about where you work---not the name, I mean what kind of place---a public aquarium? A research facility? There's lots of animal lovers on here, we'd be tickled to hear all about it!

Oh yes, and welcome to CS. I'm not an official greeter or anything, but I'm fascinated by your job and would love to hear about it. And we here at CS know better than anybody, that sucky people can be found everywhere. They don't have to be customers to be idiots---co-irkers can be just as rage-inducing.

Share some stories of sucky colleagues with us!
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
      Oh yes, and welcome to CS. I'm not an official greeter or anything, but I'm fascinated by your job and would love to hear about it.
      You don't have to be an official greeter to welcome new members.

On that note, to CS, Seawolfe.

I look forward to reading.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Animal-lover? <raises hand>

Though I really prefer mine warm, dry and furry.

to the gang.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You have to dish more about your work! *squeal*

Oh, and welcome
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes I'm a big fan of you guys.

Uh, I was trained as a fish biologist, but now I'm working more in oceanography. I work at a university research and education kinda place. I used to have more time to play with our "pets" (hint - none of them have eyelashes or lungs), but unfortunately thats not where the $$ is.

Basically my institute pimps me out to several agencies and I work as the interface between scientific agencies and commercial ships who agree to help us collect oceanographic data (think El Nino, climate, and greenhouse gas studies). The good part is that I get to work on some of these ships as they cross the oceans to very neat places, and the people can be really cool. The bad part is that I get (sometimes) idiot agencies and scientists who want to place unreasonable demands upon the volunteer fleet. So I get to play diplomat/ technician/ scientist/ sailor /software and hardware tester/beeyotch and mommy to all these people, and the suckage can be spectacular.

Oh - and I'm in charge of education at our institute as well (in my free time ) so I get to deal with students, teachers and administrators which can be a whole lotta special too

Comment

Wow, sounds like you'll have lots to share with us! In your free time, of course, which sounds quite abundant...
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
              X