X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from the Dairy Industry

Hey, just a little introduction.

I work in the dairy industry, my company repairs/builds/maintains milking equipment I'm the "Computer Guy" as i'm usually introduced. Luckily this generally keeps me away from the customers, but not always.

Usually i sit around all day making the computers at the office work and build software to keep the paperwork to a minimum. But often times i have to answer the phones when it gets busy... it's not as easy as it sounds

To get things off right, here is a short story from yesterday:

I answer the phone. "Hello DS, how can i help you.",
    "Yeah the route guy hasent been here in a while and i need some supplies, today, I'm almost out"
    I ask what they need... he does not know exactly... I wait a min while he goes and checks *sigh*. "Yeah I need tit dip, inflations and circlepower".
    "Do you know what kind of dip you use? or Inflations?", "No.", "alright I'll look it up on the computer. When do you need this by, would tomorrow be fine or possibly friday?" (NOW! from the farmers can be a relative term, you learn to make sure to ask again later) "no, if you cant get it here before tomorrow I'll have to get it from someone else".

So now I'm thinking i have to find someone who is going to be in that area today AND will be near the warehouse beforehand (the tucks don't stock 200L barrels of chemicals) for a customer that is a 45 min away or we might lose him (route sales are a couple hundred a month for most of our customers). great! so as i get prepared to call around to our service guys I look up the type of dip and inflations he uses on the computer (hey thats what i built the system for) so I can get that ready too.... hmmmmm last time he bought dip was in November... 11 months ago.... and he hasent bought ANYTHING since then. but he wants it NOW, or we'll lose his $300/year sale.

Luckily I did not have to call him back and tell him he would not be getting anything till friday.

Now I could go on about the other things wrong with that order of supplies (inflations are only good for X number of milkings etc.), but I have much better stories that I will be able to post later.

Well thats it for now. And BTW I love this forum. seems like a great place to vent.

Welcome

Sound like you've got some interesting tales, looking forward to them.

Stay Safe
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Hey, there, to
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
      X