This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Customers ...

1) If you are trying to talk to me (especially if you are wearing a mask) PLEASE SPEAK UP. Between the plexiglass in front of me and your mask (if you're wearing one), I can't hear much. Especially if you have a low and/or soft voice.

Or, if it's a yes/no question ("Do you have your points card?") it doesn't hurt to also nod or shake your head.

2) Telling me "I've got a case of [pop] or [energy drink]" on the bottom of your buggy and then saying "Do you need to scan it?" ... um, yeah. Neither the Vulcan mind-meld nor Jedi mind influence affects barcodes. If you don't lift it onto the belt, I need to come around with my scan gun (AND WHEN WILL THEY GET US SOME WIRELESS EQUIPMENT, DAMMIT) and scan it.

No, I don't snark at them. Unless someone's been a grocery store cashier, it's understandable that they don't know how things work. I just hear this more often than I'd like to.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    1) If you are trying to talk to me (especially if you are wearing a mask) PLEASE SPEAK UP. Between the plexiglass in front of me and your mask (if you're wearing one), I can't hear much. Especially if you have a low and/or soft voice.

Or, if it's a yes/no question ("Do you have your points card?") it doesn't hurt to also nod or shake your head.
    Guilty as charged. I try my best to never raise my voice during business transactions because it can come across as yelling. I do a WHOLE bunch of nodding and shaking head, though.

Would it be helpful if I started by greeting the person and then asking if they can hear me OK before raising my voice? I really do not want to get into the habit of yelling at everyone needlessly.

Comment

Back when there was still such a thing as a restaurant, I used to write what I wanted down on a note, because my orders are unusual and it helps them understand (and getting it fixed should they get it wrong beyond what I can tolerate.)
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        Would it be helpful if I started by greeting the person and then asking if they can hear me OK before raising my voice? I really do not want to get into the habit of yelling at everyone needlessly.
        Yes, but also remember that a raised voice is not automatically yelling.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          Yes. There's a fair gap between speaking loudly and actually yelling. But I've run into numerous customers (mostly but not always women) who have voices that are both light and low. It's gotta be a bit annoying for them when I have to keep asking them to repeat themselves ...
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

It's the tone. I only speak to customers on the phone from home so I wonder what it'll be like when the store opens up and the Karens try negotiate down our liquidation prices. I should tell manager I'm not coming back but I can't afford to.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Sadly, 40 years of tobacco use has made my raised voice sound like I'm screaming "I hate you and want you to step on a lego" when actually I'm yelling "OMG, I love you forever!!!"

We are still limiting social excursions, so I haven't actually talked to anyone but hubs and the cats since my first post, but I do plan to keep this thread in mind for the next I do have real life interaction with someone.

Comment

This.

Had an argument with Ol' Scarface Herself back at the wholesale club once, over something stupid (as it almost inevitably was when she and I butted heads), and I raised my voice as I made my point. I've got a voice that carries and is pretty loud in any case.

Herself played the victim, muttering, "Why is he yelling at me? Who does he think he is, yelling at me?"

I shut her down, telling her, "I'm not yelling at you. Trust me, YOU'LL KNOW when I'm yelling at you."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  With the majority of customers and Grocery Store employees wearing masks now, it does make me have to ask almost everyone to speak up a little bit more because of my hearing problems. And I'm not the only person who's had to ask customers to speak up, even my coworkers who have much better hearing can't always understand what the other person is saying.

Thankfully I haven't had anyone complain about it.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    It's the tone.
                    It's always the tone, yes. I've had various CWs at my current job tell me that I "yelled at them" when I certainly never raised my voice even a little. But I didn't use a chirpy sweet voice and start with bunch of platitudes "oh, I know you didn't mean to do it, and it's not a big deal, but..." I just start with "don't do that please." Yes I say please because I'm not trying to be rude but I also don't have all flipping day to make you "feel" okay that I pointed out something you did wrong. It's funny how to most people I'm nice and quiet, and to a few I'm horrible and rude.

...okay that rant went somewhere else but you see my point. Tone.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      I shut her down, telling her, "I'm not yelling at you. Trust me, YOU'LL KNOW when I'm yelling at you."
                      Precisely. I'm generally soft-spoken, but can raise my voice in a neutral tone. If I'm actually yelling, everyone in a 5-meter radius will know. D3 once tried to claim (in front of the entire warehouse) that I "yelled at" him when I was simply correcting him and talking over the pallet jack...no. If I was yelling at him the way he claimed, I would not have lowered my voice the instant the jack stopped.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've got a couple of 8"x10" dry erase boards that I've been considering taking with me.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Now that's a good idea...I have a dry-erase notebook somewhere. Should pull that out.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Back when I had mouth surgery I couldn't talk for several weeks. I used a Magic Slate Paper Saver to communicate.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Could you use a dry-erase pen on the new clear dividers?
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                              X