This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Th SC Season Has Begun (long)

Last week we were pounded with catering jobs that had to go out to various Bingo/Cash Bashes/Weddings. I think we had over 2500 pieces of chicken go out, not to mention all of the other food.

When we order our supplies for the week, we do order extra just in case someone calls needing food for a funeral. We hate to turn someone away at a time like that, they have enough to deal with.

I get a call on Thursday.

*Chicken Woes*
    Me-Hello, catering place.
    SC-My name is "dickhead", I want 30 pieces of chicken and I will pick them up tomorrow at 11:00.
    Me-Sir (dickead), I am sorry, we will not be able to fulfill that or...
    SC-Why not?
    Me-we currently have 3 cash bashes and 3 weddings for the weekend. I am sorry, but we don't have the supplies to do that. Our supplier will not be able to restock us until Tuesday.
    SC-well, then, can I get it for today?

Now, if I won't have it tomorrow, why would I have it today?

*Wedding Woes*
    SC-I need to book you for a wedding on July 7, 2007.
    Me-Ma'am, I would be able to supply the food, but I won't be able to send any workers to serve. We are currently booked for 4 weddings that night.
    SC-Well, I tried to call you last week.
    Me- <blink>

Anyone that is getting married this summer is getting married on 07/07/07. People knew this was coming up. The current booked weddings were booked back in December. Last week wasn't going to change things. (she didn't leave a message, so she wasn't that worried about it)

*I Need Food Woes"

Today. Walk in.

SC-I need 30 pieces of chicken, 2 lbs of rigatoni and a small salad.
    Me- OK, and what date do you need this on?
    SC-about an hour
    Me-I am sorry, our fryer is down (we were changing them) and I am not able to have the chicken today. I can do the salad and rigs for you.
    SC-well, if you can't do the chicken, I don't want anything.

We are a catering business. We can do some things on short notice, but not all. We are not a restaurant where you can just come in and order something.

*Cabbage Roll Woes*

SC-I need 14 cabbage rolls.
    Me-I am sorry, we sell them in a pan with a minimum of 16 rolls.
    SC-I don't want 16! I want 14! Why can't I have 14?
    Me-Ma'am, if we were making them today, I could give you 14, however, we are not prepping cabbage rolls today. I will have to give you a pan of 16.

She hung up on me.

Our rolls are prepared ahead of time, frozen, then baked when they are about to go out. We have trays and trays of cabbage rolls in the freezer, ready to go out within the hour, or you can take them home and cook them yourself.

Would 2 extra cabbage rolls have really made a difference.

More to come, I am sure. The catering season has officially begun!

Quoth notthecook View Post
    *Cabbage Roll Woes*

Me-Ma'am, if we were making them today, I could give you 14, however, we are not prepping cabbage rolls today. I will have to give you a pan of 16.

She hung up on me.
    I get the same deal for anything I put in a transparent box. "Yeah but I want 4/6/8 of those." well, deal with what you have here. You got a freezer at home, do the math there.

We can't do fancy packs because our prices are set to the formats you see here. I can't punch a random price for a random format cuz you don't want 2 extra croissants than you need.
    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

So if it's SC season, does that mean we can shoot them?
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Anyone that is getting married this summer is getting married on 07/07/07.
        A friend of mine is getting married at the local Renaissance Festival on that date. I'm making her wedding dress, her fiance's Musketeer garb, and apparantly she told her family that I can make their costumes as well!

I'm making her costume for free. No labor cost. When she told me that she told family I could make four more costumes for them, we went and bought materials and then I told her roughly how long I thought I would have to spend on the additional costumes, then reminded her that I charge $15 an hour. Which is a bargain. Most custom costumers will charge $20 and up. She flipped out and went all Bridezilla on me.

I hate having to remind my friends that I have a life away from my sewing machine (especially since any sewing is done ON MY OWN TIME).

Comment

SC Season?
          I thought it was Wabbit Season.
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

No, its Duck Season.
            "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
            James from Pokémon.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
              A friend of mine is getting married at the local Renaissance Festival on that date. I'm making her wedding dress, her fiance's Musketeer garb, and apparantly she told her family that I can make their costumes as well!
              Rest of post also relevant
              Give them an inch and they'll take a foot.

That's why I refuse to do any art for free. Even my boss at the Grocery store pays me extra for his cardboard fruits he makes me paint.

I got fsckxx0red enough already.
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

There are places that will rent out those costumes. It would most likely cost less for four people then having the costumes made for them.

Comment

FenigDurak - tell the bride the costume you're making for her is your wedding present to her. Unless the others are willing to pay you for your work, you will not do any of it. Why give her something she obviously won't appreciate?

Back O/T
                  I can't believe that people can't plan ahead. I'm a compulsive list maker. I shudder to think of what the house will look like when I have to plan my wedding! I'd rather have everything done early and be able to fuss about the small details than wake up 2 weeks before the wedding screaming "OMG I forgot to get a caterer!"
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm not doing any of that stressful, formal wedding stuff for mine. I am having the backyard BBQ to end all BBQ's. A casual, all day event for people to come and go as they please, we are going to have 3 grills and 2 turkey fryers going, volleyball, horseshoes and LOTSA alcohol. My daddy and Eric's daddy are going to be grillmasters for the whole day. EVERYONE including me and Eric will get to actually relax and enjoy the celebration rather than stressing over caterers, dj's, bridesmaids, flower girls etc.
                    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

What gets me is why aren't half of these people going to a restaurant? You want a tub of chicken in half an hour? Go to KFC!
                      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

*shakes head*

What the hell is up with people who don't understand that catering must be set up ahead of time. The earlier the better!

My ex and I had a "masquerade" wedding. It was held in a park with all of the arrangements and stuff handled by us or friends (he worked with a couple that also did catering and wedding cakes, and we were close friends with someone who could officiate). I was in full middle class Renaissance garb, he was in his full kit (kilt, sporran, etc) and the guests were requested to come in costume. It didn't hurt that we held it on Halloween. We had masks for those who came in street clothing.

*Cabbage Roll Woes*

Heh. I would have made a batch of 16, taken 2 out, charged the regular price for 16 and had a snack.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"I can't believe that people can't plan ahead. I'm a compulsive list maker. I shudder to think of what the house will look like when I have to plan my wedding!"

Hehe, I'm the same way. My wedding is still a little more than a year away and we already have the church, hall, band, photographer, florist, music for the ceremony, and I'm going dress shopping next week.

Comment

Quoth Velfarre2001 View Post
                            No, its Duck Season.
                            NO IT'S ELMER SEASON HEHEHEHEHEHE

SHHHHHHHH be very very quiet we're hunting Elmers BHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I cound not resist
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              I was in full middle class Renaissance garb, he was in his full kit (kilt, sporran, etc) and the guests were requested to come in costume.
                              Any chance I could pester you for pictures? I love, love, love men in kilts! Matter of fact, I get to look at them all day on the 19th!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X