• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Whatever' Customers . . .

A Little Background . . .
    I work in a Pawn Shop . . . nuff said.

- - -

I am certain you have probably come across a "Whatever" customer. When you ask what they want and they reply with "whatever" and then they're not happy with the "whatever" you produce . . .

Here's my tale of two separate "Whatever" customers I had this week.

We figured we'd come here first -
    A young couple came in the pawn room and wanted to sell (or pawn - another of those "whatever" instances) a diamond Wedding ring (we buy as well as pawn things). Well, my co-worker who was working in the pawn room asked me if I could come down and take care of them as he doesn't really deal with jewelry. Our manager, as well as the owner, was dealing with another fellow employee in the back (she stole some things and was getting the axe - which is another story). So, me and my co-worker were basically left to run the store for a few.

Anyways, I don't normally deal with jewelry anyway, let alone something that has never been pawned at our shop before. But I figured I'd give it a go anyway. I ask them with the same ol' question we always ask - "What are you trying to come up with?"

Can you guess the answer? Good, you get a cookie.

"Whatever," they reply. Fine, this should be an easy one. "10 bucks" I promptly reply. They kinda laugh at me, hey, I was being serious. Fine. I, being a complete novice at dealing with new jewelry, take a look at the ring.

It was 14K Gold, marquis center diamond surrounded by quite a few little diamonds. The center diamond wasn't all that big and the little diamonds weren't big enough to do anything about. I acid tested the gold and tested the diamonds with the tester. I figure, with our costs, there's about 17 dollars worth of gold on that ring. I go over the diamonds really quick and come up with "50 bucks."

Apparently that wasn't good enough. So they started going on about how they can take it back to the place and get $998 (yes, almost one thousand dollars) trade-in value for it. That's fine by me, but I told them they certainly were going to get anything close to a grand for it (it seems to me they were gilding the lilly a little, that ring certainly didn't look like a $1000 ring). We could resale at $150 . . . at best.

So, after hemming and hawing and trying to come up with a number (it took me a good 10 minutes or so - when I have other important things to do). If they would have simply told me what they were looking for, I could either aim for that price or tell them "no way." Fine, take it back to the place and get your trade in value - stop wasting my time.

- - -

The CD lady
    Lady comes into the store, just about right at closing time. She's come to pick up a firearm off of layaway. Since she's picking it up, we required to do a NICS background check, those can take up some time, especially with all the paperwork that goes along with it. My co-worker (a different one this time) is taking care of her, I'm standing right next to her, counting out the front till. CD Lady is nearby as well. The doors are locked and there are no other customers in the store.

I haven't physically pulled the till out of the register yet, I'm just working on the paperwork when CD lady asks if we have any of the "NOW" CDs (co-worker, I believe, is doing the NICS background check on the phone). I'm in a generous mood, since the store was closed and she was almost done. "Yeah, I we did have one, I saw it a few weeks ago though and it might have been sold."

"Well, I'm just looking for one of those CDs with all the songs on it, something they can dance to."

Thinkin' we still had the "NOW" CD, I hurry over to the CD section and scan for it (we have a couple hundred CDs, but I had a general idea of where it was). She kinda half follows me to the CD section, not bothering to help me look.

"No . . . looks like we sold it."

"Well, 'whatever' you can find then. It doesn't matter - as long as you can dance to it."

Me, still scanning the discs, "well do you have a preference? Rock, rap, country, 70's?"

"Just whatever, they won't notice the difference." I was under the impression she was having a party or somethin.

I grab three CDs (3 for $9.99 deal). I plucked out two compilation albums and a disco album. The compilation albums, I was think she'd turn her nose up at because I saw artists like Britney Spears and Ricky Martin on the covers.

Nope. It was the disco one she didn't like. Throughout the whole gun transaction, she kept bitching about the disco disc, saying "how nobody could dance to it" (yes, she said that). I even offered to find her another disc (we don't have much in the way of compilation albums), but was willing to find another one.

No. She would rather stand there and bitch about it. She keeps saying how she's spent so much money here and stuff (she bought an expensive ring, but that doesn't give her the right to be a whiny brat) and how she wants a discount (come on, it's 3 discs for $10, how much more of a discount do you want? We don't really offer discounts on CDs - because if you don't buy it, someone else will). Honestly, if you would have told me that you wanted just rock, then I would have found just rock music.

I'm still trying to count out the till and eventually pull the till out of the register (basically, I'm not going anywhere now). She *does* buy the discs, my co-worker rings her up . . . full price too. She pays for the firearm and she's on her merry-bitchy way.
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Gee, I thought disco was all about The Dance...I hate people who expected me to find them a book with some vague criteria of what they liked, and then would follow me to a section and not even bother to look with me. Sorry, not your personal shopper! Bye bye!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Never take whatever as be all end all. If a customer says whatever, that means that they are waiting for you to screw it up so they can moan to you that its not what they wanted! Not that it happened to me but sometimes I wouldn't take whatever as an answer.

Comment

You should have dusted off something really terrible and handed it to her. Something like Kris Kross or Vanilla Ice. I'm sure someone could dance to it.
        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Time to whip out the old Milli Vanilli.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Hehehe we could sing to the SC's

"Whatever you do, Don't put the blame on you!!"

because we all know it's never the customer's fault.
            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Good Lord! And a woman with THAT attitude is buying a GUN?

I think it might be time to leave town....
              Total surrender
              Your touch is so tender
              Your skin is like water on a burning beach
              And it brings me relief
              "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Gee, I thought disco was all about The Dance...I hate people who expected me to find them a book with some vague criteria of what they liked, and then would follow me to a section and not even bother to look with me. Sorry, not your personal shopper! Bye bye!
                Thank god I haven't had one of those yet... All the people who have given me vague criteria have been happy to look through the section themselves once I show them where it is.

I must admit though, that I am a kind of 'whatever' person... But only at home. If I'm having or organising dinner with someone, and they ask what I'd like, unless I have a craving that day I will usually respond with, "Food?"
                Re: Quiche.
                Pie is manly.
                Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                  I must admit though, that I am a kind of 'whatever' person... But only at home. If I'm having or organising dinner with someone, and they ask what I'd like, unless I have a craving that day I will usually respond with, "Food?"
                  Heh. I'm the same way. I only do that with my boyfriend, though. With strangers, however, I will be as specific as I reasonably can. I don't have the time to waste it annoying someone else by wasting theirs.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                    I grab three CDs (3 for $9.99 deal). I plucked out two compilation albums and a disco album. The compilation albums, I was think she'd turn her nose up at because I saw artists like Britney Spears and Ricky Martin on the covers.
                    <snip>
                    Honestly, if you would have told me that you wanted just rock, then I would have found just rock music.
                    I must say that I do NOT consider albums that like THAT to be ROCK music.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Wasn't Disco all about dancing?? That's why they had the disco-techs? I wasn't alive then, so I'm not sure - but from what I've seen/heard/read - it was all about dance.

And it's one of the styles of dances on "So you think you can dance" that the contestants have to learn. Hmm but NOBODY could dance to it at her party I guess.....

Comment

Your store sells firearms, music and jewelry?

What? No slurpies? LOL

Comment

It's a pawn shop. By trade, they tend to carry a wide variety of stuff.
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            I must say that I do NOT consider albums that like THAT to be ROCK music.
                            Yeah, I suppose you're right . . . but in that general genre of poppy-rocky kinda music . . . We did have a large variety of Backstreet Boys and Hansen, I shoulda started picking through those . . .
                            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                              but in that general genre of poppy-rocky kinda music . . .
                              I think that's what the definition of 'Pop' music is, really. I'm jealous, too. I love the atmosphere in a good pawn shop... not the ones that smell like failure, but the ones that have all sorts of cool stuff scattered around like a pachinko machine, a stuffed bear, a '79 Gibson 'Flying V2' guitar, a nice collection of antique swords, and more cool, weird bits and pieces than you can shake a stick at. The place is just down the street, and I really think the owner opened the shop mostly as a place to keep his stuff and the pawning just pays the bills.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I'm talking about 'taxidermist got his hand on a grizzly' type stuffed bear, not a plush toy.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X