This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Property

We get a lot of lost property at our bar, everything gets left behind, coats, shoes, umbreallas, bags ect ect. This was becoming a fast problem because no one was coming back to claim all this stuff, and we had a storage problem. So, we introduced a policy. If it is not claimed TWO WEEKS after it is lost, we either put it in the bin, or donate it to charity, depending what it is.

So, we get a sucky business man. He's a regular customer, extremelly annoying, always flashing wads of cash around, showing off how much he has.

SC: Hey, I left some VERY important documents in here. I was wondering if I could have them back?
    Me: Documents? Could you describe them to me?
    SC: Well, there was a blue leather diary, a folder, a box file and a lot of paper. It also has the title of my business, <business name> in gold writing on each folder. They are VERY important.
    Me: Ok, I'll go speak to the manager.
    SC: HURRY! They are very important to my business!
    Me: Can I just ask how long ago you left them here?
    SC: Hmmm, I don't know...a month, maybe six weeks ago.
    Me:

I go out the back and speak to the manager.

Manager: Yeah, I remember all that crap. It had phone numbers, but every time we rang there was no answer, we left voicemails saying we were going to get rid of it if it was not claimed in two weeks, but that was about two months ago. They're long gone.
    Me: What the hell am I going to say to him?
    Manager: I'll deal with him.

The manager walks out.

Manager: Sorry mate, haven't seen them.
    SC: What? What is my business going to do? I need them for my business! There are a lot of important details in there!
    Manager: Maybe you left them somewhere else.
    SC: Impossible! Where are they? What is my business going to do?
    Manager: Well, they're not here.
    SC: My business is going to go under and its all your fault!

He storms out.

It took him TWO MONTHS to realise how important they were to his business? And he expected us to hold onto his crap for that long?

Take THAT, stupid man!!!!!!!!!

Check your voicemail once in a while!!
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

lol maybe it wasnt really for his business, maybe it was something much more fun. Proff of fraud? Affair? oh oh oh how about the dead to his house! lol

Comment

What an idiot. I mean he left some very "important" things and he didn't realize it until two months. I'm probably thinking it wasn't anything he needed if he waited so long to come back and ask about them.
        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
        My space
        Facebook

Comment

Idiot Alert Aisle One!

Nothings that important if you leave it for 2 months. If it was, you would have come back that night or the next day you forgot them there.
          Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Perhaps a case of last-minutitis? Two months ago they weren't due tomorrow.
            ludo ergo sum

Comment

That sounds like quite a large pack of stuff...how the hell do you forget all that?

My boss managed to lose his bag with all of our reviews in it. He had to reprint them and we had to sign them again.

We got some interesting stuff in our lost and found. I got a Fossil watch that was probably worth around $65-85 new. It had sat in the drawer for 2 months at least so I finally took it. The clasp was loose (I'm guessing that's how they lost it in the first place) so I took it to the jewelry store. They fixed it, took out a few links from the band, and voila! a new watch for me for only $7.95 plus tax . We also got a lot of keys...and not just single keys, but large bunches of car and house and who-knows-what-else keys. I could never figure out how the heck these people got home from the store...

I also have a small menagerie that lives in my car: a yellow duck on the dashboard, and others that live in various little cubby holes in the car: a little elephant named Skinny, a Happy Meal toy dog, and the deadly poisonous rattle dog (a little pink dog named Puddles, according to its tag, with a rattle in its butt) . All of my lost and found animals live in my car, along with a beanbag chihuahua my mom found in Gettysburg and a much-faded crab an ex got me in Ocean City, Maryland.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We still have 3 canes hanging behind the front counter from when I started working at this store 4 years ago. How the hell do you leave something behind if you need it to walk. We also have several sets of keys, at least 6 gloves, only one complete pair, and a note with a phone number to call if we find some womans garage door remote.
                "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Hotels, naturally, get the best selection of stuff left behind. Off the top of my head, here's what I can remember guests forgetting:

Clothing -- shirts, shoes, jackets, jeans, slacks, bathrobes, slippers, bras, boxer shorts, t-shirts, caps, shorts, bathing suits, etc. ad nauseum
                  Stuffed toys
                  Dvd's
                  Video games
                  A set of barbells
                  Drugs
                  Medication
                  Eyeglasses
                  Cell phones
                  Cell phone chargers -- at one time we had more than sixty in a box in the back
                  Sex toys
                  Books
                  A large box of cd's
                  Photographs

Weirdest thing someone left behind was a very large and elaborate, and very well-filled photo album.

Funniest thing someone left behind was a cockring, and the man who left it tried his hardest (*snerk*) to convince us that it was anything other than what it was when he came to pick it up, by calling it a bracelet loudly and often. As in:

"Oh, you have my bracelet! Thanks for holding my bracelet for me until I could come today to pick up my bracelet, which I left in the room! I'll just pick up my bracelet here and be on my way now! I'll certainly try not to leave my bracelet behind when I travel again. Thanks so much!"
                  Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Our cell phone charger collection fills two copier paper boxes. One lady insisted we FedEx'd hers to her when it would have been cheaper for her to go to the Alltel store.

The neatest thing anyone has left behind recently is a puppet dragon that says "Bleah!" when you open his mouth.

"Bleah!"

Our hotel has a time limit on unclaimed items so the Bleah Dragon is mine in a week.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                      We get a lot of lost property at our bar, everything gets left behind, coats, shoes, umbreallas, bags ect ect.
                      Hi, Customersruinmylife.

In some states there is a law requiring that found property over a certain value be surrendered to the police. In my state the value is $25.00 or more.

Just figured I'd mention this as a CYA comment.

Be safe...

Comment

I left one of my favouritest hats at a Pizza Hut, one night. I could fold it up and put it in my pocket, and it glowed (glew?) in the dark.

...I can't count the number of Transformers and Go-Bots I've lost in supermarkets. >.<
                        "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I once 'lost' my favorite stuffed toy at the age of 16.

I had taken her to colorguard camp with me at this somewhat ritzy hotel and had left her on THE CHAIR next to the bed. When we came back from practice and I found her missing, I freaked -- I called up the front desk and begged them, in TEARS, for them to look for her. I cannot sleep/live/breathe without that Snoopy.

I missed two hours of practice, arguing with the maid because she swore it wasn't there. My roomates and I, swore up and down that I did, in fact, leave her on the chair.

Long story short, one of the maids found my snoopy in the laundry room, wrapped up in TOWELS and the manager tried to explain that I must have left her on the bed. That it was all an honest mistake or something.

To be quite honest, I didn't give a damn about how it got there once she was safely back on her chair.

In fact, I would not have even managed to leave the hotel to go home until she was found. I absolutely ADORE that animal.

When my mother jokes that I am going to take her in my honeymoon, I very seriously say 'damn right.' My fiancee just smiles and says he'll have a little cradle set up in the room for her. -- yeah, I do believe I need psychological help.--

Well, my point is: when something is THAT important to you, how could you not notice its gone within minutes?
                          "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

I have mother (old ratty teddy bear that i have sewn clothign for, preformed life saving surgery on and apparantly had a stroke around age 16 as she only has half a smile). I always pack her when i go place. I sleep with her next to my bed along with grey beard (I collect teddy bears) and hotaru. If i lost her or my copy of Annie on my Mind i would be in tears, on the floor of the establishment where i lost them, and would eventually have to be hospitalized from the shock. So i agree with AnqeiicDemise.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                              I have mother (old ratty teddy bear that i have sewn clothign for, preformed life saving surgery on and apparantly had a stroke around age 16 as she only has half a smile). I always pack her when i go place. I sleep with her next to my bed along with grey beard (I collect teddy bears) and hotaru. If i lost her or my copy of Annie on my Mind i would be in tears, on the floor of the establishment where i lost them, and would eventually have to be hospitalized from the shock. So i agree with AnqeiicDemise.

OFF Topic: Snoopy is so old and tattered, I know she's had a few strokes too. She's missing an eyebrow and the claws on that same side are all but torn off. She had rhinoplasty two years ago -- I had made her nose threadbare from so many eskimo kisses that a friend of mine who specializes in costume making fixed that for me. [/end tangent. ]
                              "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Working...
                              X