This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who pissed in your cornflakes?

TWOLF telling us about being deaf reminded me of a SC I had at my last day of my first job.

I was a cashier at a grocery store, and had a co-worker who was deaf. She mostly bagged the groceries, so she didn't really have to communicate with customers too much. (She can read lips) I don't remember her name, but I do remember that her name tag had "I'm DEAF" on it in larger font than her name. You would have to be blind not to see it, even if you weren't looking for it.

My last customer of my last day was a very snobbish hag. As she was placing her items on the belt, she looks up at my CW and tells her she wants her groceries put in paper bags instead of plastic. Apparently CW didn't catch it, and I didn't notice. As I'm ringing through her items, I start hearing a tapping noise, then well..... ( Most of this rendering is accurate, mainly because it still makes my blood boil everytime I think about it.)

SH - ye ol' snobbish hag
    Me - self explanitory

SH - What the HELL are you doing? I told you paper, not plastic!
    SH- Hello!!!!!!!! Hey you!!!! I SAID PAPER!!!!!
    ( At this point, I stop ringing the groceries, walk over to my CW, tap her on the shoulder, and tell her the lady wants the stuff in paper, not plastic. CW thanks me, and starts re bagging.)

Me - Sorry about that ma'am, it won't take very long to get everything re-sacked.
    SH - It better not, I'm in a hurry!
    (At this point, I ring up some household cleaner)
    SH - (directed at CW) I want THAT in plastic
    (CW puts it in paper)
    SH - DAMNIT! I SAID PLASTIC! ARE YOU F'k'n DEAF OR SOMETHING!!!

OK----- I lost it at this point!

Me - As a matter of fact-- ma'am-- and I use that loosely, she IS deaf. Not only does it display that fact boldly on her name tag, but the hearing aids should have clued you in also. You owe her an apology.... and your total comes to XXX.XX.
    SH- I think not! She should use sign language or something.
    Me - Did you wake up and eat a big bowl of bitch flakes or something? Either apologize or get the hell out of my line.
    SH- I'm talking to your manager!!!

To make an already long story from becoming alarmingly long... My manager was so furious with me, that he gave that hag a discount. I promptly got fired and I didn't care, but I stood up for what I believed in.... I hope she choked on her bitch flakes the next day.
    Insanity : a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world. - R.D. Lang

I think that bitch should've been sued for discrimination and creating a hostile work enviroment. Your boss had absoultely no right to fire you. I guarantee you if that had been a racist calling a black bagger the n-bomb, your manager would not have dared fired you. Discrimination based on deafness must be taken as seriously as race based discrimination. I think your district manager or corporate would be a good place to start because you do NOT deserve to have this huge black mark on your employment record.

Comment

Quoth Jade Panurple View Post
      SH - DAMNIT! I SAID PLASTIC! ARE YOU F'k'n DEAF OR SOMETHING!!!
      At this point I would have thrown her out onto the street. And the next place she would have found herself in would be JAIL. For the rest of her life.

You did a great thing there.

And I like the expression, "bitch flakes".

I've had to contend with a lot of U of D Sorostitutes
      who get plenty of their "fiber" from 2 or 3 bowls
      of bitch flakes every morning.
      Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
      mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
        I think that bitch should've been sued for discrimination and creating a hostile work enviroment.
        Uh, they're a customer, so the most you can do is kick them out and ban them from returning. Suing is right out. And even if it was in, there's this little thing called the first amendment (or probably equivalent laws outside the states), so you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Now, if you wanted to pitch a fit to management about the customers actions, and they didn't respond to your complaint, then you might have an issue... though it would be shaky legally if it was only one customer.

Quoth Estil View Post
        Your boss had absoultely no right to fire you.
        While what the customer did was not called for, when an employee, on duty, insults anyone that way in a public area, yeah, they've got a right.

Comment

Either way, the dumb bitch customer deserved a good ass tearing.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Jade Panurple View Post
            To make an already long story from becoming alarmingly long... My manager was so furious with me, that he gave that hag a discount. I promptly got fired and I didn't care, but I stood up for what I believed in.... I hope she choked on her bitch flakes the next day.
            Yet another case of spineless management at work. This ruthless customer verbally abuses an employee with a disability, you stand up for her, all of a sudden poor customer is insulted. Manager doesn't give a crap what she said or did to the employee. They slobber all over her with apologies, give her a discount, and terminate you? Glad it was your last day anyway. I hate it when managers don't get your back and do all they can to save the business of somebody you wish would never come back anyway.

Comment

I like that too - bitch flakes. I have to use that one. Sorry you got fired.
              It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
              -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                I like that too - bitch flakes. I have to use that one.
                Yep, they're on the shelf right next to the Sucky Charms!

Sorry you got fired, Jade. But really, do you want to work for a company like that, that allows customers to verbally stomp all over handicapped employees and bitches out those who stand up for their coworkers?
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                  Uh, they're a customer, so the most you can do is kick them out and ban them from returning. Suing is right out. And even if it was in, there's this little thing called the first amendment (or probably equivalent laws outside the states), so you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on.
                  Not to quibble, but among other things, "fighting words" (written or spoken words, generally expressed to incite hatred or violence and to place the targets of the words in danger of harm. So says Wikipedia) are NOT protected under the first amendment. So - hypothetically speaking - you wouldn't likely not be able to use freedom of speech as a defense in a lawsuit over an issue like this (assuming it even got that far).

Still, the custoemr was squarely in the wrong in this case, although lashing out like that does nothing to help.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

While what the customer did was not called for, when an employee, on duty, insults anyone that way in a public area, yeah, they've got a right.
                    As much as I hate the hag customer, I have to agree that insulting the customer like that was justifiable grounds for termination.

Simply replying to her "DAMNIT! I SAID PLASTIC! ARE YOU F'k'n DEAF OR SOMETHING!!!" with a saintly "As a matter of fact, she is. See how it is stated on her badge? She obviously did not see you speaking to her. Allow me to get her attention." (addressing the SC the voice of someone instructing or speaking to a small child) would have sufficed.

Sinking to the SC's level and giving back attitude never is an acceptable response.
                    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I agree with South Texan. What the OP said was definitely grounds for termination.

With that said, I may have said something similar in that situation, to hell with my job. The SC was a bitch. She found out that the girl was deaf, and instead of apologizing or at the very least shutting her damn trap, she continued to run her mouth.

Its understandable that someone might lose it once in a while and say something they shouldn't to a customer. I think if it ever happened to me, I'd see getting fired as a blessing; it would be a clear sign that I needed a vacation anyway.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

That woman definitely had it coming, the rudeness of people just astounds me!
                        "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                          With that said, I may have said something similar in that situation, to hell with my job. The SC was a bitch.
                          True. But I still want a manager who has a backbone and kicks the idiot out.

Comment

And even if it was in, there's this little thing called the first amendment
                            the first amendment DOES NOT PROTECT HATE SPEECH!!!
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Exactly BK, the first amendment does not protect the use of derogatory terms.
                              Dropping the n-word on a black person, and claiming freedom of speech, will get you nowhere.
                              So why should it in this case?
                              http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                              Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Working...
                              X