This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TopSpot1313 View Post
    This WAS Blockbuster of all places...seemingly benign and supposedly the top of its game. And no, they did nothing to the customer. Again, their first thought was that I should do something for him.
    I'm glad I didn't work at your BBV all those years. At mine we'd have called the cops, pressed charges, had a Trespass Warrant issued and never let him step foot in our store, on front walk or even in our parking lot ever again.

I love doing Trespass Warrants. It's actually one of my favorite things.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

I feel better now about turning down that job offer from Blockbuster, went with a $11/hr factory summer job instead.

And yes, size discrimination is perfectly legal and does happen. As a small statured person myself, I know it all too well.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        Once, while applying for a VERY sweet job, I was told that I was nearly perfect for the position I was applying for, but he couldn't hire me because the Big Boss made the final call and SHE didn't want to risk a huge guy intimidating customers.

And yes, I checked, since the objection was my SIZE that was the issue, not my status as a male of the species, it doesn't fall under prohibited discrimination.
        Um, yes it is. That's in the same ballpark as not hiring someone because they're fat.

Comment

I've done some research on what can be done here in California.

The only protected statuses are (if I recall correctly): Race, Religion, and Gender.

Any any smart hiring team can find all manner of things that are not any of the above to keep from hiring someone if they take any effort at it.

Other states have more robust anti-discrimination laws. I know that one state in particular has a law on the books that states that a company cannot refuse to hire and cannot fire a person because of any recrational activity or substance that they may or may not choose to participate in unless it has a demonstrably negative impact on their job performance.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It appeared that he had a whopping $15.00 in late fees that he admitted were his, but because he TOLD us they would be late, he felt he should not have to pay any late fees!
            My stepson tried that same excuse. My husband had told him that as long as it didn't affect his grades, we wouldn't give him a set bedtime (within reason). Consequences of violating this would result in him losing his cellphone for a while.

So when we were having a discussion about other issues, he told us that he was failing one of his classes (normally an A/B honor roll student) because he just hadn't felt like doing a major project. Okay, we said. When the report card came in, we confiscated the cell phone. His response? "But I TOLD you guys I was failing!"

And we said yup, good for you for being honest. Still lose the phone until you bring proof that you've brought up your grade.

Geez, I guess Tavish never grew out of trying to use that excuse.
            Last edited by Noelegy; 05-14-2007, 09:39 PM.
            He loves the world...except for all the people.
            --Men at Work

Comment

Certain jobs being too small or too tall would be determinental to the job performance. It could be quite fatal in some occupations to be too tall or too short as well.

Example Jet Pilots they have to be a certain height requirement do the cockpit dimensions. Too small and they cannot operate the controls, too tall they cannot fit in the cockpit without hunching which renders operation of the controls at not optimum efficancy along with the medical risks that would result when the jet was taking off or going at top speed. Cockpits are a standard size they cannot be refitted easily it's easier to build a different size cockpit but they still have to be tested and designed with the different size in mind.

Comment

Quoth infavorofnaturalselection View Post
                Certain jobs being too small or too tall would be determinental to the job performance. It could be quite fatal in some occupations to be too tall or too short as well.
                Not the case here, I assure you.

It was a consultation position where, basically, I would've been getting paid serious bank to hand-hold clients while they figure out how they want things customized once they've made their (usually VERY expensive) purchase and arrange for delivery/pickup... and by serious I mean salaried at $30k/yr starting, regular raises, profit sharing, nice hours, med/dent/vis, and a private office. I'd have been making nearly as much as my mother was at the time, and all within a year of being able to drink.

Yeah, if I'd known then what I know now I'd have pushed more about it, but at the time I was still at home, and I didn't appreciate just exactly how much crap you have to go through at most jobs. Really, REALLY makes me wish life had do-overs.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

If you value your sanity, I beg you not to work for a video store...ever!!!
                  One word for you, bud:

CLERKS
                  Last edited by NightAngel; 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM. Reason: Too large of text.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Yeah, if I'd known then what I know now I'd have pushed more about it, but at the time I was still at home, and I didn't appreciate just exactly how much crap you have to go through at most jobs. Really, REALLY makes me wish life had do-overs.
                    Yeah, no kidding.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think nearly everyone here agrees with that. I certainly do.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
                        A good friend of mine used to be an SM for a video store. She once told me that she loved dealing with sucky customers. Every time she banned someone from the store she was high for the rest of the day!

She is now a DM for the company.
                        Now THAT'S the kind of boss I'd want. Someone who doesn't kiss the ass of asses who verbally/physically hurt other employees or customers (and don't forget freeloaders too).

The dishonest and/or jerk customer is always wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X