Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Tales of Suckitude brought to you by the letters "F" and "U" (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Tales of Suckitude brought to you by the letters "F" and "U" (long)

The Library is NOT a dating service
    I got hit on a lot when I first started working at the library 2.5 years ago. And then it tapered off for awhile, and then started back up again. Usually it had an inverse relationship with my dating status. Single and looking? No one cared. Taken and happy? Every yahoo that walked through the door was trying to get in my pants (Ok, maybe that's a bit of an eggageration).

So anywho, I'm closing the lab for a class and one of the regulars starts muttering in my general direction.

Him: *mumble*
    Me: *making the mistake of thinking he actually has a computer-related question* Pardon?
    Him: You got a boyfriend?

We've got a winner here, folks! Second time this week I've been asked the very same question. Now, I don't particulary think I'm that much to look at, but apparently to the homeless drunks, wannabe pimps, and general twatwaffles, I'm hawt stuff.

Me: *flashes left hand* Married. *ignore* Seriously, dude. What gave you the impression I was remotely interested in your measly existance. Our interaction consists of you saying "good morning" and me giving a non-committal grunt while I desparately click away at Collapse. Gotta collapse all the pretty boxes. Oooh, lookie, Bejeweled!

Not you again
    So we had a Microsoft Access class this morning. Anyone who's ever used Access should know it's pretty involved. Even people who have a pretty good handle on computers and other Office programs have trouble with Access. Not something you can jump into the middle of without going through all the steps.

In walks Sucky Job Seeker--20 minutes late--wanting to take the class. She looks familar, but for the moment, I can't place her. I get her caught up with the instructor, and then have to hold her hand the ENTIRE time. I kept having to tell her to double-click to open stuff. Logic should dictate that if a single-click doesn't make the computer do what you want, try a double-click. Not SJS. Single-click didn't work and she'd sit staring stupidly at the screen, willing the computer fairy to make it work.

Fast forward to the end of class. She wants to stay and apply for a job. Ah HA! Now I remember you. I held your hand yesterday when you applied for a different job. Now there is a lot to take care of when a class is over. Evaluations need to be gathered, computers need to be switched to the public log-in, handouts need to be replenished (I'm looking at you, fellow cowirkers), and the screen and projector put away. I'm busy; can't help right now. I finally finish all my chores and sit down for what I hope will be a little Internet play time. My Bejeweled game isn't going to play itself, yunno.

No such luck. No sooner had I sat down than I hear her muffled cell phone conversation get louder and then:

SJS: Miss! Come here!
    Me: What now? Yes?
    SJS: *thrusts her cell phone at me* He's gonna tell you how to get to this job application.
    Me: Not again!

The HR guy talks me through finding the job posting Her Highness wants to apply for. Not that I couldn't find it on my own, but hey, I felt bad for the guy having to deal with her. By this time, I'm starting to get a killer headache. Dealing with the stupids can set one off, but this one came from the stupid and also her perfume. This woman marinated, basted, bathed and showered herself in old lady perfume. You know the kind. The kind that seeps into every pore and will not leave your nose once it has attached itself. I know she knows how to type her name in a box--we went over that last time--so I'm just trying to get her to that point so I can give my sinuses a break.

The job site itself had some issues. Namely the security certificate wasn't kosher with Windows, so SJS assumed it was broken. Seeing as how it's no skin off my teeth if the network goes down due to a virus, I click the option to go to the site anyway. Finally, we have found the Holy Grail--erm, application.

SJS: *holds up a flash drive* My resume is on here. How do I get it off?
    Me: *puts drive in the USB port and starts scrolling through the app* Doesn't look like they have a place to upload it. Looks like you'll have to fill all this out.
    SJS: I have to fill out the whole thing?! I've only got two hours! What if I don't finish?!
    Me: When you get to between 10 and 5 minutes left, go out to the reference desk and tell them you're working on a job application and you need more time.
    SJS: *dejected* Oh. Ok.

I retreat to my desk thinking it's over. Unfortunately, I was very, very wrong. Not five minutes later:

SJS: Miss!
    Me: What?
    SJS: *hands me her cell phone again* He's gonna tell you how to do this.
    Me: Haven't we been through this before?

I sigh and take the phone. A different guy is on the other end this time and the poor soul sounds just as annoyed and ready to strangle something as I feel. Of course, since SJS is sitting right next to me, I can't tell the HR guy that I feel his pain and wish the lady would be sucked into a parallel dimension (or advertise the site). I'm pretty frazzled myself now, so he's annoyed that I'm not understanding what he's telling me. He's talking about printing out the job requirements so she can tailor her resume, I'm asking if there's a place to just upload it. And of course, I've got her in my other ear demanding I get him to tell me where the upload button is so I can tell her.

Me: You.Can.Not.Do.That.On.This.Site. You.Have.To.Fill.It.All.Out.
    SJS: Oh

I get the info printed out and explain to her (again) what she needs to do to fill it out.

SJS: Well, I'm hungry, so I'll come back later and do this.
    Me: Praise Yoda!

Yeah, it didn't get much better when I left work and got to class. Turns out new regulations are in the process of being passed that are really going to screw over Nuclear Techs, but that's a rant for another day.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

If she's too stupid to fill out the fracking application, what makes her think she'll even get the job? I'm thinking the two men she spoke to on the phone we're making a mental note of "for the love of rice crispies do not hire!!!!"
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Aren't you supposed to put your best foot forward with HR? Sounds like that bridge burned a ways back. Also, what is your job description really? For the short moment the computer wasn't working with the job website, I could understand. Other than that, what this yahoo did with the website and what she wanted to upload was of no concern of yours. Never ever take someone's cell phone unless it directly relates to your job. Then again, I have less patience for people who seriously refuse to help themselves.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Whyyyyyy do people use the library/supermarket/department store as a free dating service? Seriously, do they think that the 16-year-old chick behind the counter will date a 40-something pervert?
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

she can't understand simple computer concepts like clicking a mouse twice
          can't even use a web page without help

please tell me she wasn't applying for any kid of office position. i mean sure, there's a lot of jobs where computer skills aren't required but... hopefully she's applying to one of those jobs... or she's going to find herself sol for a long time

Comment

Maybe she should stick to paper applications?
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Put her cell phone through the paper shredder and when she is screaming about that, push her in too.
              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                I'm thinking the two men she spoke to on the phone we're making a mental note of "for the love of rice crispies do not hire!!!!"
                It wouldn't surprise me. We get some real winner applicants where I work. And yes, all of them don't realize that first impressions are everything. In other words, if there's stuff spilled on your resume or words get misspelled (bonus points if talking about your "excellent" computer skillz ), it's going right in the trash.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Also, what is your job description really? For the short moment the computer wasn't working with the job website, I could understand. Other than that, what this yahoo did with the website and what she wanted to upload was of no concern of yours. Never ever take someone's cell phone unless it directly relates to your job. Then again, I have less patience for people who seriously refuse to help themselves.
                  I'm a "Computer Lab Assistant" which really is a fancy name for a babysitter. But it is part of my job description to help people with computer difficulties--user caused or equipment caused. Sadly, this is not an unusual occurance. Most people just need a little guideance getting started, which I'm fine with. I don't usually mind those who are really trying, they just haven't quite grasped it yet. It's the ones who refuse to take the initiative and try that make me want to send them through a woodchipper.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                  X