Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you expect anything different?

As usual our shelves are picked clean for Christmas. What I don't get is why someone coming in on the day before Christmas, five minutes before close, expects to find the average family size turkey (the most popular kind). He wouldn't accept a bigger one or two smaller ones (despite knocking the prices down because whose is going to buy them after anyway?) oh no, he had to have THAT particular size... Then he complained that we didn't have a very big selection of carrots and potatoes left. I say again, why are you shopping 5min to close the day before your Christmas dinner? At that point you're lucky we even have any potatoes or carrots left. (We recently just broke the Canada wide record for our chain in sales this week) We had three pallets of spuds delivered (compared to our regular 1/4 pallet) and more throughout the day because we anticipated that the popular food item would sell well. (We were the only store in the city that had any left over)

Sorry had to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by AkaiKitsune; 12-25-2017, 03:49 PM.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Vent away! I don't get this kind of thing either! If he was just unable to buy before now, he'd have accepted the larger or two smaller ones - especially at a discount - and been happy about it!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Agreed, if you are shopping at the last minute, you have to expect that things will be picked over and you need to be flexible.

I am ashamed to admit that my sweetie just cannot seem to remember that Christmas comes on the same day every year. I knew he was an idiot when I married him, but he was such a good kisser...

So, he had to go shopping yesterday. He couldn't find a turkey the size that he wanted, so bought 2 slightly smaller ones on BOGO and came home happy. He might be an idiot at times, but he's rarely a SC.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        I am ashamed to admit that my sweetie just cannot seem to remember that Christmas comes on the same day every year. I knew he was an idiot when I married him, but he was such a good kisser...
        Sometimes Christmas sneaks up and bonks you on the head with a club and screams 'remember me?' In your ear. Besides if he's a great kisser then it averages out anyway.

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        So, he had to go shopping yesterday. He couldn't find a turkey the size that he wanted, so bought 2 slightly smaller ones on BOGO and came home happy. He might be an idiot at times, but he's rarely a SC.
        BOGO turkeys, yay! And smaller turkeys cook faster anyway
        Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
          As usual our shelves are picked clean for Christmas.
          When one lives in a two-person household, Christmas dinner is leftover Thanksgiving turkey, thawed and made into turkey pot pie.

Two choices: take it or leave it.

Comment

Sometimes Christmas sneaks up and bonks you on the head with a club and screams 'remember me?'
            When Mrs. TGK & I don't get significant cold snaps, it just doesn't seem like Christmastime. That said, we have the the gifts ready to ship in plenty of time.
            FWIW, our Christmas menu was appetizers (and popcorn when we caught The Last Jedi).
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My sister and I avoid this problem by having something different for Christmas dinner every year. When we were kids, our family always had ham for Christmas, but the two of us can't use up even a half ham very easily (we get sick of it after 3 or 4 times), and it gets boring having the same dish every Christmas.

A couple of times we had lasagna for Christmas, other times we look for something Polish or German to honor our ancestors. It's more fun to change it up.

Comment

While its kind of everyone to make "excuses" for my sweetie being an idiot, they aren't working because he's 65 years old and for every one of those 65 years, Christmas has come on the very same day! Besides, he doesn't live under a rock, he's the one who does all of the shopping because he's retired and I'm still working. How anyone could possibly spend any time shopping in stores or online and not know when the major gift buying days are impending is beyond me.

Its a good thing that he's still a great kisser!

We like turkey, it makes great left overs. Thanksgiving and Christmas are pretty much the only time you can find sale prices and a nice selection. Besides, one of our cats would happily die if his last meal was as much smoked turkey as he could eat. You can't make ham or Italian when one of your overlords demands turkey!

Comment

See that's the great thing about having a freakishly huge family that likes to invite themselves over when they know full well it means booking half a hotel to fit them all. It means I get to borrow my neighbour's kitchens (since try always go elsewhere for the holidays) and make food from literally all over the world. Oh and dinner's in the backyard because my house doesn't even have that much room. (Put it this way, between parents/grandparents/great grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins/half siblings... Etc. This year about 130 something odd people could get in and that's not all of them that exist. We have a standing rule that you can only buy 5 presents otherwise we'd all be broke and swamped with shit... There's even a system set up so that everyone gets exactly the same amount of presents.

We can't have family dinners in restaurants anymore since the last time. (If you really must know, an Irish navel engineer, a scot in the airforce, and little Russian Yoda should never be allowed in the same city. In fact it's probably best if they remain in separate countries all together but I can't control that. Oh and then there's the grudge match between the Spanish and Italian sides. The French and the English sides have to switch years showing up at family functions because the last time they were together they got into a brawl in the middle of the street (over what I do not know or care to know). Between county rivalries, military rivalries, old family grudges, occupational grudges (ever see what happens when German army reg turned cop meets Irish navel engineer turned paramedic, then throw in someone who left their military career to become a firefighter? It's not pretty. Put it this way some people in my family are so stereotypical of their country/military/retirement choices that it's like the stereotype was made to describe them personally. (While others are their own unique brand of nuts). It really doesn't help when some idiot brings up religion and little Russian Yoda *enjoys* starting drama.

Comment

AkaiKitsune, I'm sure it does drive you nuts at times, but man it sounds like fun to me!

I have two sisters, a very elderly aunt I can't get to easily, and a handful of cousins I haven't seen in years (some in another country, others I wouldn't know if I fell over them...and they haven't so much as called for years). A large, goofy, diverse family kinda sounds like a fun time.

Comment

My clan is just swelling past 20 (mostly descendants of my maternal grandparents and spouses), but our pride is that everybody's still talking to each other.

Comment

As usual our shelves are picked clean for Christmas.
                        Same happened at the main store over the road from the petrol station. Partly due to the fact that Christmas Eve fell on a Sunday this year and partly due to the usual snow panic, the shelves were stripped bare by lunchtime on Christmas Eve. There were no turkeys, no vegetables cept for frozen, and hardly anything else left. Cue mega tantrums from SCs who couldn't understand why 3pm on Sunday Christmas Eve is not the best time to come and do your full shop.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          Cue mega tantrums from SCs who couldn't understand why 3pm on Sunday Christmas Eve is not the best time to come and do your full shop.
                          I'm sure they were bitching about the traffic too Holidays tend to turn certain local roads into parking lots, especially if they pass by shopping districts. Route 51 wasn't too bad, but I'm sure 19, with its 85 traffic lights in Uppity St. Clair, was a zoo! Little wonder that I stay far away from said areas until well after New Year's
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I used to ask the same thing while working at the booze store. Really, people have had all year to buy alcohol, why do they wait until the 3 days before xmas to come in and buy their cartons?

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                              I used to ask the same thing while working at the booze store. Really, people have had all year to buy alcohol, why do they wait until the 3 days before Xmas to come in and buy their cartons?
                              Because they drank up all of the booze they bought before then.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X