X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back in the barrel

Please pray for me!

I like my primary job, which is to hide back in my cube and do food stamp interviews. I do these over the phone with clients who are in kiosks in the lobby. The only time I have to actually interact with a person is if I need to get documents from them. Then I copy everything and flee back to my cave while continuing on the phone.

Every 3 or 4 months I, like everyone else, have to work intake. Everyone has to take their turn in the barrel, and this month its mine.

Intake is horrible. Its a constant stream of people face to face. Lines out the door all day.

Its speaking to a confused widow who is having problems paying her bills now and buying food on her small amount of widow's benefits and checking her in to moving on to someone who is angry because his worker was incompetent and now he doesn't have food, to someone who just got fired, then to someone reporting that her son had died a week ago and she wanted to do the right thing and have his benefits shut off.

Over and over and over. Then when the wait times get over 2 hours, then everyone waiting gets mad. Unreasonable and ridiculous and something should be done, over and over and over.

When I'm checking someone in and they ask how long the wait is, I just tell them that they will be here all day. That way, when they come back to complain, I can remind them what I told them the last time. Over and over and over.

Today's winner was someone who came in at 4 to drop off documentation. That is fine, I can do that. I held my hand out for the papers to copy and she opened a large file and started going through the contents 1 by 1 and sorting them. I gave her a minute to find what she wanted, but it became pretty obvious that she was intending on going through 4 inches of receipts to find what was needed.

I asked her to move back to the lobby and sort her stuff so I could help the people behind her and she called me rude for rushing her. I told her that I would be happy to scan everything for her, but she was being rude to everyone standing line behind her.

Her response? She knew that it was busy but those people behind her should just learn some patience. My response? We close at 5, please go sort out what you need before 5 while I help the people in line.

Welp, I am not only rude, I am mean.
    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 01-06-2018, 01:17 AM.

So at this rodeo, are you in the barrel for the barrel racers or the bull riders?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

While I was referring to the old and very NSFW sailor/logging/oil field joke, yours works just as well. And its all THREE when we are working intake!!!

Yesterday's winner was the working guy who came in at 4:45 and said that he didn't want to use his vacation time to come in during the day for his interview then threw a fit making the security guy come running when I told him that nobody would stay late for him.

Comment

Working...
      X