Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My now-EX-roommate kind of did the opposite last week. She rented a gigantic truck - and she doesn't even have a driver's license, so don't ask me how she did that - but as it wasn't ready till 4pm, and her friends didn't show up AT ALL, she whined and pleaded until I started flinging her stuff in my car just to get her the hell out. Two trips in a Toyota Matrix and almost all her stuff was moved. The truck ended up getting used for a twin bed matress and frame, two dressers, and maybe ten boxes that had been in her storage locker... pointless really.

It really ticked me off how she assumed my boyfriend and I would help her move - she never actually asked, just sighed and said "oh, I don't know what to do... I cna't drive...". I hate that.

Comment

They are wanting a 10x10 unit and are using a 26ft truck They are probably thinking that since it is 100ft square footage, that it would be more than enough. We get that time from time here also.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I hate moving...so much that I've actually held off on getting a new apartment for 3 years now. That said, when I moved to my current place, I bit the bullet and paid a moving company to help (I still helped them load/arrange stuff, since I didn't want to be the a-hole who just stood there watching).

Single. Best. Move. Ever.

Next time I move, definitely spending that money again, was totally worth it...and they bring their own truck
        "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
        "What IS fun to fight through?"
        "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Most beds are 6-7 feet long, maybe 8 feet for a really big one. Most couches are about the same length. They're designed for a fully-grown man to be able to lie down on.

My computer desk is a shade over 10 feet long - it's *huge*. I have a lot of computers. :-)

But my bed and my desk would probably just-about fit end-to-end in a 17' van. If the couch won't fit, it must be a bloody huge couch.

But then, a lot of people - especially women I'm afraid (clinically proven) - just have no spatial common sense. They don't know the difference between length, area and volume, and they don't know that because the average man is about 6 feet tall, you can estimate the length of a bed or couch as a little more than that, even if you haven't measured it.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Best person to get to help you move? Former or current military with family. They know how to pack a truck.
            or someone who has hand loaded semi's for a living

Quoth protege View Post
            So do people that own small cars. I had a little 2-door Tercel once. The things I got to fit in the back seat was simply mind-boggling (and no comments from the peanut gallery )
            I had a 3 door Tercel and I knew how to stuff thing in AND on top of that car. did a 300 mile run with a full sized dresser tied down on top and the inside stuffed full

people are always amazed at what I can put either in or on top of my cars. I have put big screen TV, washers and dryers, dressers and the like.

heck the last time I major moved from last big city to where I am now I stuffed to the gills a 26ft U-Haul along with a trailer for my car (which was also stuffed full)
            Last edited by Racket_Man; 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

When we moved I reserved a 17' truck. I ended up with a 26' because no one actually wrote down my reservation.

I hated driving that thing. Made me scratch truck driver off the list of careers.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                You tie a sturdy rope between the tow hitch of pick-up truck, and the front of the cars frame. You then get a sorry ass schmuck (i.e. ME), to steer the Porche while it's being dragged at 2mph behind the truck for 5 miles.
                For a short move, that would have been fine, but I was moving 600 miles. I wound up selling the T-bird for $400 just because it was the best offer and I had to leave it behind.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  I had a 3 door Tercel and I knew how to stuff thing in AND on top of that car. did a 300 mile run with a full sized dresser tied down on top and the inside stuffed full
                  I miss my Tercel. Sad day when it went Still, I do know that one of those 'Billy' bookcases from IKEA will fit into an '07 Corolla. Simply tilt the front seat back, drop the back seat, and in it went!
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                    Most beds are 6-7 feet long, maybe 8 feet for a really big one. Most couches are about the same length. They're designed for a fully-grown man to be able to lie down on.

My computer desk is a shade over 10 feet long - it's *huge*. I have a lot of computers. :-)

But my bed and my desk would probably just-about fit end-to-end in a 17' van. If the couch won't fit, it must be a bloody huge couch.

But then, a lot of people - especially women I'm afraid (clinically proven) - just have no spatial common sense. They don't know the difference between length, area and volume, and they don't know that because the average man is about 6 feet tall, you can estimate the length of a bed or couch as a little more than that, even if you haven't measured it.

SOME women have no spatial common sense. Mine is better than my husbands! Years of playing tertis helped

When I lived a uni I could move all my stuff in 2 car loads. In my 2 door festiva. It's amazing how much you can fit in a hatchback...

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                      I hate moving...so much that I've actually held off on getting a new apartment for 3 years now. That said, when I moved to my current place, I bit the bullet and paid a moving company to help (I still helped them load/arrange stuff, since I didn't want to be the a-hole who just stood there watching).

Single. Best. Move. Ever.

Next time I move, definitely spending that money again, was totally worth it...and they bring their own truck
                      Yup. Next time I move (and I hope that's a LONG time from now), I'm paying someone else to do it. Getting too old for this

Also, the last two times I moved, I DID hire someone to do the move-out cleaning. It was $60 and they did a far better job, in half the time, than I could have.

Comment

Working...
                      X