Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because I can't afford out of state tuition anywhere... so I can't move out until I've gotten my degree this will take a while
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Whoever it was that commented on US not being over the moons about $1 coins- the minute the vending machines take the dollar coin, the popularity will go up. The vending machine companies usually whine about retrofitting.

Comment

The only way $1 coins will really catch on is if we get rid of the dollar bill cold turkey just like Canada did in the 80s. I mean, like someone else here mentioned, nearly everyone else was able to replace their singles with coins, why can't we?

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Everyone at store level agrees these bags are awful, but we'll see how long it is before the "Powers That Be" agree.
          If these "Powers that be" weren't so out of touch with the people (both associates and consumers) maybe they would. It's sort of like a radio DJ insisting that it's bright and sunny outside but if he ever bothered to stick his head out of his sheltered and protected office, he'd see it's pouring down rain.

Comment

Ah Dollar coins.

I remember when the states got them, and the uproar we heard about them. this little tidbit is with regard to the OP's remark about being like the Canadians.

I was making a trip to Spokane WA coming from Calgary, AB Canada, and chose to go directly south to Interstate 90 and go that route. While still in Montana, I was pulling onto a gas station for some much needed and much cheaper gas. Most all Inland Northwest communities are prepared for Canadian Currency, so I never have to worry much about buying USD before heading down. So I paid for everything, and my bill, converted to CDN$ was $51.43, which I was able to pay for with exact change. That is when I had this exchange with the owner of said establishment.

SO: I hate these Dollar Coins! How can you canucks stand 'em?
            ME: You get used to it.
            SO: Not me! Gimme good ol' paper any day.
            ME: I like having paper too, but singles and 2's get a little cluttered. At least with coins, I can save them to avoid pockets that are too heavy.
            SO: Hey!! Never thought of that. Y'know we have 'em too...?
            ME: What's that?
            SO: Dollar Coins. They call them Sack of Jew aiya coins at the Post office. Dunno how the hell they came up with the name...
            ME: They have a picture of Sacagawea on them. The Native woman that was on the Lewis & Clark Expidition.
            SO: Oh that makes sense. It just feels wrong though, to be using Dollar Coins.
            ME: No Different from a silver dollar, just a lot lighter.
            SO: True, but it just isn't AMERICAN. I mean, no offense, but we are not Canadian.
            ME: Are you sure about that?
            SO: Huh...
            ME: Well since we won the war of 1812, torched your whitehouse, and had a great old time, the treaty stipulates that you will be completely a territory of Canada by 2010, and the dollar coin is just to get you used to the idea. Next year we'll show you what real beer is supposed to be like.
            SO:
            ME:

Turns out, the SO believed it entirely. For 2 months he badgered his politicians, state dept, etc. I saw him again about 6 months ago, and all he could do was laugh.
            Last edited by Qaeria; 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM.
            Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
            I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
              ME: Well since we won the war of 1812, torched your whitehouse, and had a great old time, the treaty stipulates that you will be completely a territory of Canada by 2010, and the dollar coin is just to get you used to the idea. Next year we'll show you what real beer is supposed to be like.
              I really don't know why some Canadians like to bring this up. It's like an older brother bragging to the younger one about how he used to beat him up all time when they were younger, despite the fact that the younger one has a college degree and is CEO of his own company while the older one dropped out and is now working the night shift at 711.

Canada's still a nice country, though.

Oh, and P.S.: German beer owns all.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                The only way $1 coins will really catch on is if we get rid of the dollar bill cold turkey just like Canada did in the 80s. I mean, like someone else here mentioned, nearly everyone else was able to replace their singles with coins, why can't we?
                You wouldn't even have to go cold turkey. Just stop printing the bills, and let them leave circulation as mutilated currency as normal. Within a few years, coins would be the norm. The foolishness af trying to have it both ways is just the usual politics. No one wants to have to be the guy who said "no."
                Last edited by Geek King; 11-14-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: can't spell. bah.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Mordecai View Post
                  I really don't know why some Canadians like to bring this up. It's like an older brother bragging to the younger one about how he used to beat him up all time when they were younger, despite the fact that the younger one has a college degree and is CEO of his own company while the older one dropped out and is now working the night shift at 711.

Canada's still a nice country, though.

Oh, and P.S.: German beer owns all.
                  see you in fratching.
                  Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
                  I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

I have had a similar response about the new colored bills that have been released over the years. Normally the only people who have complained about them have been old people. In fact I remember a story when I withdrew some cash for an old man a few months ago. The following conversation ensued right after I gave him his cash, which he had wanted in specific denominations.

OM=Old Customer
                    Me=Me, "Silas"

OM: Excuse me, but can I get one of those plain, old $50 dollar bills instead of these colored ones? I use them in stores and people won't take them because they think they're fake. (No, YOU think they are fake)
                    Me: Sir, these ARE real and I have been handing them out and no one has complained. I've used them in stores and no one has turned them down.
                    OM: Oh, I don't know, but they look funny to me. Just exchange them for the old ones.
                    Me: OK, sir I will. *replaces colored bills for non-colored bills* Here you go, sir.
                    OM: OK, but what about the rest of the other bills? Like my $20s, $10s, and $5s? Exchange them too.
                    Me: All right....*goes replacing every colored bill for non-colored bills being carefully not to go out of balance*

I mean what's up with that? Some of these old people just imagine (as in never happened) that other people are going to reject them and think they are fake like they do. Either that or they go to stores manged and staffed by nothing but old people.

Comment

Dollar coins make me feel like a pirate with loot. Money is money. I know not all machines will accept dollar coins though.

I love the Halloween crap. I just raided Walmart. Got a set of wings for 80 cents, hair spray dye for 10 cents, and some other random stuff including glow in the dark lipstick. My mom now knows never to ask me to swing by Walmart for a couple of things after Halloween.....

Asking for a discount on clearance is like shoplifting the clearance shoes than are $5. Stupid.
                      The worst is not,
                      So long as we can say, 'This is the worst.' (King Lear IV.1)

Comment

In Israel, coins go up to ten [ie, one, five, ten, followed by bills, and of course under one sekel is coinage].... I like dollar coins, tey're pretty

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                          Tell them to check the sides(?) of the coins. If I recall correctly, that's where it's printed.

These people spend too much time believing everything in their emails, but don't bother to check out snopes.com?
                          Yes, "In God We Trust" is on the edges of the non-Sacajawea dollar coins. As well as the date, mint designation, and "E Pluribus Unum." I read the emails suggesting that everyone should boycott the coins, too, but I didn't understand why everyone was all up in arms over an apparent lack of "In God We Trust" and conveniently ignored the lack of a mint year or mark. How are collectors supposed to know the value of their coins without those? You'd think someone would have raised a big fuss over that a long time ago if it were true.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          *makes notes from ThePhoneGoddess's post* now I really want to move to Portland... sadly I'm stuck in utahland for several more years at least
                          Yes, you do want to move to Portland. I interviewed for jobs up there (didn't get one--got sick instead and had to get a new job in SLC) and used TriMet to get around. It's an awesome transit system. UTA is getting close to being as nice as TriMet, but they have a good distance to go yet.

Quoth Fro View Post
                          Dollar coins make me feel like a pirate with loot. Money is money. I know not all machines will accept dollar coins though.
                          Not all stores will accept them, either. When the Sacajawea dollars first came out, I got several as tips for delivering pizza. I tried to pay for a $13 lunch at Arby's with them once, and the cashier first tried to argue with me that they didn't accept "play money," and then, when I told her they were real, asked two co-workers and a manager, who all told her they were real, and finally asked the manager, "But we don't accept these, do we?" I think that was somewhere between honest confusion and arrogant denial.
                          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                          - IPF

Comment

Working...
                          X