This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least he was honest

Customer: I'm interested in this TV stand here. What do I do to buy it?
    Me: (hands him a pull tag) Okay, you just take this tag up to the cashier and they will call somebody to deliver it to your vehicle.
    Customer: They'll give me the display, right?
    Me: Actually, it will be unassembled in a box
    Customer: Oh. Well...it's not that I can't put it together myself, I'm just feeling lazy today. You sure you can't sell me the display?
    Me: Sorry. Only if it were on clearance and the last one of that item remaining. We have to have displays out here and can't be assembling new ones all the time.
    Customer: Oh. (pointing to a different TV stand) How about this one?
    Me: Sorry, if you want that one it will be unassembled as well.
    Customer: (points to a different TV stand) How about that one.
    Me: Again, we can't sell the displays until they go on clearance and are the last of that item remaining.

Lather, rinse and repeat until customer has asked about every single TV stand we carry, and I tell him if he wants to buy it, he has to put it together himself.

Customer: Oh, well, I'll have to think about this. (walks away)

Since I didn't hear a carryout page, or see anybody carrying out a TV stand for anybody, I'm going to have to assume I turned down ANOTHER sale!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Customer: Oh. Well...it's not that I can't put it together myself, I'm just feeling lazy today. You sure you can't sell me the display?
    As your title suggests, as least he was honest.

I had a customer tell me that once, though a little less honestly. He wanted to set up a wireless network at home with a printserver for two printers and file-sharing among his four computers. He'd been asking me the questions I typically hear from people who know enough about computers to use them when they're working perfectly but know nothing about configuration, troubleshooting, repairs, and that sort of thing. I had to explain to him what a router was and why he needed it and then the same thing for the printserver. At the end of it all, when he has the equipment he needs, he says, "Now, I'm really a computer nerd, and I know I can set this up myself in just a few minutes, but I'm lazy. Can your techs come do it for me?" Got some extra services revenue out of him, at least, which made management very happy.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

hawaiianshirts, at least your customer was asking for a service you provided, and willing to pay for it, assembly is not a service provided at irv's store, and his customer seemed to want it free

at least they were both honest though

Comment

Working...
      X