X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp...

Don't know which subforum to put this in, so off-topic it goes;

My mother and I were at the Korean market and I went up to her as she was trying out a sample of food. She asked if I wanted to try and I went all "nooo" but then the worker lady asks, "OH! Is that your granddaughter?"

For a split moment, my brain was all puzzled because the worker spoke in Korean and I thought I misheard her.

Then my mom said, "No, this is my daughter."

The worker then smiles and stays silent.

I mean... aren't you supposed to apologize for something like that??? How can you just stand there, smiling? I mean, I'm sure you're embarrassed but at LEAST apologize! >.<

Quoth iPanda View Post

I mean... aren't you supposed to apologize for something like that??? How can you just stand there, smiling? I mean, I'm sure you're embarrassed but at LEAST apologize! >.<

I think maybe she felt embarrassed to say anything...?

Comment

A smile means happiness but in some cultures it is also used by people when they are scolded ... it's a sign of apology/admission of guilt/whatever. I don't know if this is true in the Korean culture, but if it is, that might be why she just smiled and said nothing -- she was acknowledging that she'd goofed.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
        A smile means happiness but in some cultures it is also used by people when they are scolded ... it's a sign of apology/admission of guilt/whatever. I don't know if this is true in the Korean culture, but if it is, that might be why she just smiled and said nothing -- she was acknowledging that she'd goofed.
        That's nice to know/learn.
        Unfortunately, not true in this case. I expected to hear, "Omomomo! Jaesunghapnida!" (Oh my godness!! I'm so sorry!" but I didt. Instead, like I said, she just stood there with this smile all "well, I said the wrong thing.... Whatever."

My mom was obviously bothered by it x.x

Comment

Ugh. That's not good then. Way to lose a customer ...

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
            That's nice to know/learn.
            Unfortunately, not true in this case. I expected to hear, "Omomomo! Jaesunghapnida!" (Oh my godness!! I'm so sorry!" but I didt. Instead, like I said, she just stood there with this smile all "well, I said the wrong thing.... Whatever."

My mom was obviously bothered by it x.x
            You should have asked her " wae gurae" in straight up banmal if she did that.
            :/

Edit: not that I encourage being so rude to elders, especially in Korean, but if it seemed like she didn't care...blehh

Comment

Working...
            X