This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 30 to 35 hours a week job

I am looking for a job where you can work between 30 and 35 hours a week.

Which types of jobs provide this?

Where can I find this information on the internet?

I am looking for a consistent work schedule.

My background is almost exclusively retail and restaurant but I just landed a job in phone customer service. There are a couple of call centers here that are contracted out by other companies for that, but mine's different. I've heard those other ones aren't always a good thing.

In my company we only serve our own clients over the phone, and specific types of contracts go to dedicated departments. For instance, I'm in billing and I only deal with businesses who lease our equipment. Anyone who rents gets routed to a different dept. Software users call another dept. and people calling in for supplies or credit line billing issues go to yet another group. It's a fairly big company; our brand is well-known because our founder created the type of equipment we carry about 100 years ago.

We have full time in my dept. at 40 hours and overtime is ok. There is a part-time position that is 32 hours, Mon-Thurs. That's just us in cust. service. There are other locations in the world who do other things like sales or specific services.

I'd say research the history of your city and see if any well-established companies come up. Look at those. They're the ones who are more likely to be flexible and treat employees well. It's not always true, but it often is. And put a resume on Indeed. That's how I found out about this position. I was applying for something else and my resume happened to be public and our HR lady came after me!

The best piece of advice anyone ever gave me was to even apply for jobs I wasn't sure I could do. I did in this case and I feel it'll be a good fit. I really, really like this company and everyone I've personally talked to has had great things to say about it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You might see if some company has multiple locations near you, so if the "Main Street location" only needs you Saturdays and Sundays, maybe the "River View" location could schedule you three other days a week.

It's going to be a little harder than in the past. If you average 30 hours a week or more, and the company is over 50 employees, they have to offer you health insurance, owing to the affordable care act. That may be why the store you now work at has kept you at so few hours.

Boring, unpleasant jobs have higher turnover. Factory work, assembly, janitorial work might have openings. Does the local school have openings for janitorial work? They might even have a union to negotiate contracts with the school system.

Comment

I personally would enjoy factory work. I can be a people person, which I have to do currently, but I can also be very task-oriented. Factory jobs can be very stable and often you can get overtime.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I personally would enjoy factory work. I can be a people person, which I have to do currently, but I can also be very task-oriented. Factory jobs can be very stable and often you can get overtime.
          I'm looking forward to not spending 8 hours running around a poorly climate-controlled store like a madman, running up and down ladders, lifting heavy stuff all day while being told to go faster. And doing it at all different times of the day. (Clopening, yuck, still have to do it two more times T_T)

My new factory job places a big emphasis on training and seems to have a lot of people who've been there a while. I've heard nothing but good things about the place. It'll be nice to focus on doing things right, instead of just doing them fast.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

First Congrats on the new Irv

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            The problem with this is these days (at least in my area -- not that far away from you) is that those type of jobs are filled not by the company but staffing/temp agencies which around here are notorious for crap hours, crap schedules, crap benefits, scheduled shifts that may or may not exist, etc. This just-in-time just-the-right-amount-of-workers stuff who-knows-if-I-will-work-my-shift-today/tomorrow/this week has become rampant at least here.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

True. Glad I got hired permanently at New Job. We do have temps sometimes.

Comment

I went to the job placement center at one of our local community college campuses since I am a student there to get some help finding the part-time job I am looking for.

The staff person there told me she will help me find what I need.

Comment

Government jobs are usually 40 hours a week, but they do hire "seasonal" workers who sometimes work shorter days. Seasonal workers usually don't get full benefits, but they are still paid fairly well and its a good way to get experience and network.

Many government jobs are public facing and there is a greater emphasis of good customer service than there was. I have been working my current job for 15 months. Out of those 15 months, I have spent at least 12 weeks doing nothing but intensive training and I'm still not fully trained.

As long as I show up every day on time, do my job to the best of my ability and treat customers, my co-workers and supervisors with respect, my job is pretty secure. 3 months of training in a year is a rather substantial investment in an employee and not something to throw away lightly.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                    Government jobs are usually 40 hours a week, but they do hire "seasonal" workers who sometimes work shorter days. Seasonal workers usually don't get full benefits, but they are still paid fairly well and its a good way to get experience and network.
                    My position isn't technically a government job but our machines are regulated by the government and this is how my company works. Well, we do have part-timers. But the majority of employees are full-time, including temps.

Comment

Security work can be fairly consistent. Maybe look into that?
                      Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Working...
                      X