This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the store is still standing!

I posted earlier this year that the store site was being eyed for a new elementary school. The town voted on a final site last week...and the store is safe. I believe the deciding factors were more about cost and the assorted hazards/disruptions associated with rebuilding (the original building was a factory 100+ years ago, so god knows what kind of crap is in the soil). Someone likened it to the toxic silt at the bottom of the major river--yes it's bad sitting there, but stirring it up would have a greater negative impact.

Also, having the school there would mean four schools within a 10-block area, which even parents agreed was too many (and there would be some interesting redistricting going on).

Maybe this means that Corp will start spending money on the stuff that actually needs to be repaired/replaced...who am I kidding
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    Maybe this means that Corp will start spending money on the stuff that actually needs to be repaired/replaced...who am I kidding
    Yeah, getting Corporate to spend money, even on necessary items, is like a journey through Mordor.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It sounds like the town made the right decision. Glad you get to keep your job. Fixing up the store might be a dream.

Comment

Oh come now, what could there possibly be to stir up...

Old mold, chipping lead paint, unseen termites...
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
          Old mold, chipping lead paint, unseen termites...
          asbestos, toxic waste
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            asbestos, toxic waste
            Dead bodies....
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Shithead once told me that there probably are bodies underneath the original foundation/basement. As for the asbestos/mold/lead/etc, we were probably all exposed when the ceiling was falling in. I'm trying to find more information about the property for my own amusement (what was there before a grocery store, etc). I know our electrical infrastructure can barely handle the load on a normal day (I can't recall a day when all the registers were functional at once), and the town won't let us replace the cooling system because the noise level of the new equipment would be a few decibels over what they consider "noise pollution" (like anybody's gonna hear it).

There is a dip in the flooring toward the back of the store that seems to be getting more pronounced as the years pass. Right now I can park a shopping cart in one spot and it will roll toward the endcap...any major fixes would require a pretty thorough overhaul and re-engineering.
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-19-2016, 02:05 AM.

Comment

If you find Jimmy Hoffa, let us know.

Comment

This is probably the one place they haven't looked. A like-minded CW commented that the floor sag could be caused by organic decay and soil settling into the void (my money is on a leak, but what's to say the two aren't somehow connected? we did have that water main break a few years ago...)

Part of me wanted to see what they'd dig up during an excavation...

Comment

Our old store had a seriously uneven floor. Place a spool of thread in the middle of the floor and it'd zoom to the wall. It also had huge cracks in the breakroom wall and an open sewer grate by the bathrooms. Yeah. Glad we got a new place.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I used to work at a convenience store which had a big crack running lengthwise across the middle of the store. I referred to it as the "Mr. Convenience Fault Line". The store closed down a few months after I quit; it eventually reopened under new management after being renovated, and the crack seemed to be gone.
                      -Adam
                      Goofy music!
                      Old tech junk!

Comment

Working...
                      X