X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddamn it . . .

Comment

I had one yesterday myself.

I was really cranky at work, like my nightmares came to life. Everyone was being stupid. Demanding I find stuff that was right in front of their noses. Not doing their work, that I pay them for.

Then around 5:30 there was a commotion outside, in the parking lot. A 91 year old man was with his daughter, getting dinner here. They were talking and she was about to pull out of the parking spot, when he seized up, and died. Seeing the police, fire and paramedics do CPR on him for 25 minutes, seeing his blue face. Knowing that he wasn't going to make it.

Yeah, big wake up call.

I'm still in shock, and feel so bad for her hand her family.

EDIT:

He didn't make it. I saw his obit in the paper today.
      Last edited by Victory Sabre; 10-20-2016, 11:11 PM.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I was wrong again. My CW has both terminal lung cancer and bone cancer. From what I understand, the bone cancer was only found in one knee. She's so positive, it's incredible. I almost wanted to say that it's okay to be upset.

My mom watched two of her brothers die of cancer, and the one thing that she hated was how everyone kept saying "think positive!" and crap. It's a lovely sentiment, don't get me wrong! But near the end of their lives, they just wanted peace, not some drivel about "mind over matter." ETA: I just want to stress, positive is good, but these people were heavily implying that just by being positive, you wouldn't die. Like if you were just a bit happier, you would beat it.
        Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-22-2016, 12:10 AM.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I spent one Christmas season at the US's most reviled retailer. I didn't have to I suppose, I just didn't want to collect unemployment until bridal season started again. It was boring. I wasn't good at it. I thought my life sucked.

Two children approached the terminal, one pushing the other in a wheelchair. The notable thing about the urchins is that they weren't screaming, "Buy me something!" The girl was pushing her brother around, and twirled him around in a circle. He seemed to like that.

Mother approached and started loading things onto the belt. Onto the belt went some spray-dyed cake with a Madagascar theme, and coordinated paper plates and napkins. I stink at making small talk, but the mother was willing to do most of the work.

"It's my son's birthday. He loves 'Madagascar.' '

I smiled and said, "We all love 'Madagascar.'

"It's a big one. He five." There was a pause. "You might have noticed him in the wheelchair. We just found out he can chew and swallow some solid food. Well, cheese doodles," she said, putting a package on the conveyor belt. "So we're going to try some chocolate cake."

There was not one iota of martyrdom or self pity in her demeanor. She was quietly joyful of her son's milestone.

I would never know how hard it is to wrestle a full-sized five year old into and out of a van every time we go out. I'd never have to figure out how I'd care for him when he's bigger than I am, or how he'd be cared for after I'm gone.

Comment

Nothing like a short cold shower in someone else's reality to make you feel grateful for your own.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I had another reality check today.

A few months back there was the mall stabbing in here in St. Cloud. It was big world wide news. I found out today that one of my employees, when he was at his other jobs, was one of people stabbed by that terrorist fuckface. I went back and watched the video again, with my new knowledge, and was sent into total chills seeing him getting attacked. He could have been easily killed that night. He didn't tell us, because he wanted to keep it quiet.

No wonder why he's been having sleeping problems lately.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

My customers don't wake up one day and say "I know what would be fun today! I'll go down and apply for food stamps." For the most part, people don't want to come to my office and many people will wait until its a complete emergency.

Some of the stories I hear are so heart breaking that I'm humbled to be able to help them.

I've mentioned in several posts that I'm using a cane now. Its part of my physical therapy. Even with all of that pain and inconvenience and expense going on, all of my complaints are minor.

(Of course, I still bitch about them when I'm out on my break. I'm allowed!)

Comment

Slaves story reminded me...

My father had knee replacement surgery. I have known several people who have had it. They all said the same thing. Recovery is PAINFUL.

My father was doing his Physical Therapy one day, complaining as usual. A Marine came over and told him to STFU. The Marine them hopped back over to his own therapist on his remaining leg. According to my mother, my father didn't say another word for the rest of his PT.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

That one reminds me of an incident in "Reach For The Sky", the autobiography of an RAF pilot.

After WW2, he was visiting a rehabilitation centre where one of the patients was learning to walk again with double below-the-knee amputations. Book's author was walking with a bit of a limp, and told the patient he'd get used to it. Patient was somewhat miffed, and basically told the author "Easy for you to say".

Author's response was to drop his trousers. Why did he do that? Simple - the author was Douglas Bader, who also had a double amputation - with one being above the knee. That pretty much shut up the patient.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                      A Marine came over and told him to STFU. The Marine them hopped back over to his own therapist on his remaining leg.
                      A story I have heard about the drummer for Def Leppard, who lost an arm in a driving accident.

Someone on tour with the group was having therapy on their arm, and was complaining a bit. The drummer looked over at them and said, "Oh, just have it off, then."
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        Someone on tour with the group was having therapy on their arm, and was complaining a bit. The drummer looked over at them and said, "Oh, just have it off, then."
                        Was the drummer British? Reason I ask is that's exactly the same wording that Bader used when talking to someone who complained about a problem with their leg.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Was the drummer British?
                          Dronfield, Derbyshire, England
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Allen_(drummer)

Kids these days don't know classic rock.
                          Save the Ales!

Comment

I do know classic rock (Elvis FTW) - it's just that Def Leopard isn't my kind of music. And who are you calling a kid? Now get off my lawn!

Comment

Which one of us is older?
                              Save the Ales!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                                Which one of us is older?
                                Physical, mental, social, ethical or spiritual age?
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X