Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would you even think that was an option?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you even think that was an option?

I was running the front end of the Store the other night when the customer service clerk paged me to take a phone call. This generally means one of three things; a customer lost their wallet/purse/ID/debit card/etc., a customer forgot one of their bags on their way out of the store, or an employee is calling in sick. This was none of those.

I stepped into the receptionist's office (I prefer to take calls there so I don't have any distractions) and take the call.

Me: This is Smapti speaking, how can I help you?
    C: Hi, my name is Customer. I went shopping at your store yesterday and I bought a can of Pilsbury pizza crust, and I'm making dinner right now for someone who's just worked 12 1/2 hours, and I opened the can, and it didn't smell right, and I looked at the can, and it says it expired in August 2016.

Me:

I am aghast at this point, and rightly so; we have a very good QA team that works the shelves at night rotating product and checking for close-dated stuff, and it's pretty remarkable that something like that could have evaded them. I respond as apologetically as I can, and that's when the conversation takes a hard-right turn into WTF-Ville;

Me: Oh dear. I'm very sorry, ma'am. I don't know how we missed that. I'd be happy to offer you a refund or a replacement if you'd like.
    C: How about you send someone over here with a new one, since I have to have dinner in the oven now?
    Me: I'm afraid I can't do that, ma'am.
    C: Oh. I guess you can't.
    Me: Sorry.
    (5 seconds silence)
    C: Goodbye. (hangs up)

I hesitate to call the customer sucky here. Their complaint was reasonable, and it's one we definitely would have made right - as good as we are, we aren't perfect, and it's entirely possible that an expired can could have gotten left on the shelf.

Still, though. How could you ever think that sending a store employee to your house with a fresh can was a possible alternative? For one, we don't deliver. For two, bringing products to customers' homes isn't part of our employees' expected duties as covered by the contract between the company and the employee association (who are also the majority owners of the company, and one of the advantages of working for an employee-owned company is that the management has your back). We don't have the kind of insurance or licensing that would even allow our workers to make home deliveries in the first place. I don't know that you aren't some kind of axe murderer or Ocean's Eleven type who needs to kidnap a Store employee as some kind of elaborate ultra-con. And finally, I don't even have enough people working that I could spare one of them to make a road trip on your behalf and risk the lines backing up halfway down the center aisle just so you don't have to leave the house for your $1.68 can of dough.

I get that it sucks when you go to the store and you buy something that's no good, but there's only so far backwards that we can physically bend in order to remedy that.
    Last edited by Smapti; 01-23-2017, 02:36 AM.

I suppose it's at least a sort-of positive sign that the customer didn't fall right into Rantsville ("WADDYA MEAN YOU CAN'T BRING ME A FRESH CAN? ARE WE SUPPOSED TO EAT THIS?? ARE YOU TRYING TO POISON MY FAMILY?!?")

But to even think that the store would do something like that ...

I'm guessing the phrase "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" was uppermost in their mind at that point.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm not TRYING to poison your family, but, I wouldn't stop someone who was...

WHoops, did I let that out? Didn't mean it!
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

While I get that it's possible for expired product to be missed, and left on shelves (seen it happen, stock workers are human and sometimes miss stuff), I'm gonna call BS on a can of pizza dough that expired in August being unexploded now, almost 5 months later. I've had cans of various bread products and they've all tended to pop open even before the outer label is stripped off if they're anywhere near the expiration date.

At least she didn't go off on a rant when you refused to have another can of pizza dough delivered to her. Still, kind of get the feeling she was just fishing for freebies.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Unfortunately the supermarket i work for are pussies. The store mgr would of sent whoever had a car to deliver it.

Comment

Not that sucky, but it doesn't hurt to ask--she couldn't know otherwise.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

This is why it's a good idea to ALWAYS have an alternative for dinner. I get that sometimes people are very low on groceries, as well as money; I've been there (and will be again, probably) but isn't there SOMETHING else to eat in the house?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X