This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ye olde dumb questions!

So someone posted up a thread elsewhere asking for some of the dumbest and most bizarre questions re-enactors and LARPers have gotten at medieval events or similar. Here are a small compilation of these:

Are these real weapons?
    This seems to be a staple one in that nearly every single re-enactor who deals with weapons gets this question at least once. Yes, they are real. Yes, they are replicas of weapons used in the actual time period.

(My response to this is "Would you like a demonstration?" )

Is that real fire?
    Another staple question asked at any event where re-enactors are cooking food. Some variants of this question have also involved people testing the damn fire out. This is usually why cooking or camping areas are roped off like crazy.

Is that a real baby?
    Bonus points for asking this while the re-enactor holding the baby in question is BREASTFEEDING. (and this isn't an isolated incident by the way)

Are those real children?
    Why no, we regularly kidnap small children and infants to act as slaves around camps. :eyeroll:

Is that a real dog?
    No, it's a realistic robot. Of course it's a real dog! >.>

Are you going to kill anybody?
    I believe that's called murder and is illegal, so no.

Is that real food?
    Bonus points if this is asked WHILE we are eating or cooking it. One of our members also had some twat stick his fingers IN the soup we were eating at the time. This is why I now eat either away from the general public or in a roped-off area.

Why don't medieval stews look pretty?
    Food stylists didn't exist back then. -_-

Is maille bulletproof and is that helmet street-legal?
    This was at a demo done for a bike & hot rod show. The guy was disappointed when the answer to both questions was no

Does your mother know you dress like that?
    This came from one of our male members. Our kit is very similar to the clothes worn in Men in Tights, so that's ALL you need to know.

Where's Maid Marian?
    Just...no.

I'll post some more when I get them, but please share your own dumb questions from medieval fairs!

Are those real children?
    No, we hired a tribe of Oompa-Loompas.

Comment

Why do the weapons have to be peace tied?
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Makes me wonder if they are watching too much Westworld.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
          So YOU don't get hurt . . .

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
            Ours are blunted but we do allow people to pick them up and hold them. A lot of people like to get photos of themselves/kids wearing a helm and a sword. We haven't had anyone steal one yet thankfully.

The only weapons that are tied down for safety reasons are our bows actually

And I have a few more stupid questions:

"How do you poo?"
            Yes, this was an actual question asked of one of our male members as he was leaving a toilet at an event. (the best response to that was "Verily, with my bottom.")

Is that goat [on a spit] real?
            Someone seriously thought it was a wax copy being roasted over the coals. O_o

Are you a Mormon?
            This was asked of someone portraying the 15th century. About 400 years too early there bud!

What Game of Thrones group do you represent?
            *sigh* Just....WHY?!

(for the record, I don't watch the show, my SO does, but I do know of a few things related to it. I have contemplated the books.)

Do people still do that?
            This question typically gets asked while doing things like spinning yarn. While far less sucky than the other examples I've mentioned so far, since some crafts are seen as being obscure nowadays, this one came off as very bitchy.

Comment

I have to admit, this immediately brought to mind this song...
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBul7B3eK4

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                Why don't medieval stews look pretty?
                Food stylists didn't exist back then. -_-
                Haha, that person would get a giant rant from me detailing how I feel about the idea that pretty is more important than tasty. I'm a person that looks at an ornate wedding cake and just thinks "but does it taste good?"

Some of these questions I can... kinda... understand at least? Like, people thinking that the weapons are plastic or something. But... Fake children? As a society, are we at the point that fake children are real?

I guess we're at the point that people truly believe that garbage about no questions being stupid. That just encourages people to speak before thinking and needs to be stopped.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post

Some of these questions I can... kinda... understand at least? Like, people thinking that the weapons are plastic or something. But... Fake children? As a society, are we at the point that fake children are real?

I guess we're at the point that people truly believe that garbage about no questions being stupid. That just encourages people to speak before thinking and needs to be stopped.
                  Re the weapons, it's usually when people pick UP the weapons that they ask the question, but yeah.

I also have a few more (although some of these are more dumb statements)

"Did you get that chicken from Red Rooster?"
                  This was asked of someone who was cooking a chicken over a spit. The person seriously thought that they'd bought a whole chicken from Red Rooster, stuck it on the spit and were "pretending" to cook!

Look children, medieval people lived in tents because they didn't have houses!
                  Yup, an actual statement. After that, we made it very clear that we live in an "encampment", NOT a village.

Do the women fight too?
                  Probably not nearly as dumb as some of the others mentioned here, although it does depend on context. Asking this in relation to a conversation about the battlefields in the 14th century...fair enough. Asking this in context of what we get up to as a club...not so much.

How do you get your flags all to point the same direction?
                  I really do wonder what on earth we teach these people nowadays...

Historical Entertainment!
                  Someone else commented that when he was splitting wood for a campfire at an event, he wound up having 20-30 people watching him and would cheer him on whenever he cleanly split a log with one stroke!

Hens in a...cage?
                  Another group had hens and a rooster at their encampment. Someone got upset because "the chickens were attacking each other!" Turns out that the rooster thought that the event was a perfect time to give a display of chicken mating rituals!

Comment

Another group had hens and a rooster at their encampment. Someone got upset because "the chickens were attacking each other!" Turns out that the rooster thought that the event was a perfect time to give a display of chicken mating rituals!
                    "Those chickens!"

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      But... Fake children? As a society, are we at the point that fake children are real?
                      Someone is already marketing a robotic dog. Can robotic children be far behind? It's just an upgrade from Chatty Cathy.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Someone is already marketing a robotic dog. Can robotic children be far behind? It's just an upgrade from Chatty Cathy.
                        Scary thought: Some idiot may try using those over-animated dolls to "train real AIs"... with the trainers thus being random members of the public, who consider the nascent AI to be a toy that They Paid For With Their Own Money. The M$ chatbot debacle will look like a summer shower next to to that storm....

Comment

So it's gotten to the point now where one of our more long-standing members will say whenever people approach the campfire area "Yes, this is real food and yes we are planning to eat it," before one of us describes whatever IT is.

Comment

Is maille bulletproof and is that helmet street-legal?
                            This was at a demo done for a bike & hot rod show. The guy was disappointed when the answer to both questions was no
                            Well....the helmet one, I'd give a pass to in that situation Hey, at least it suggests he liked the look and/or craftsmanship!

Those other questions, though...Dear Lord.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              Worse, it could be "Talking Tina"...
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X