This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Minutes =/= 20 Days

Ever had someone flash from being way too patient to rudely impatient? (Of course, you have! I've read the stories!)

The program I support is supposed to auto-generate a report and send it to end-users' emails based on a few system rules. If it fails to do that, I can force it to cooperate on an as-needed basis.

Near the beginning of this month, the program generated and sent the reports as normal. About two days after that, Sucky User emails me to say that she did not get her report and needs it soon. I was able to respond in about 15 minutes, which is faster than usual for me, and I told SU that I would trigger the report for her right away. I then specifically stated, "If you don't get an email from <Automated Address> within about 45 minutes, then the process probably failed, and I'll have to get the report for you manually."

I didn't receive any further contact from her that day. Or the next day. Or the next. I assumed she received the email. My experience seems to be that no news = good news in the tech support world.

Yesterday, SU emailed me again. It's been 20 days since her request. Now she's mad. She still hasn't gotten her report, and she's been "waiting patiently for it all month." She went on to say how important that report is to her organization (which is true), that she really needed it several days ago (also true), and that she's very frustrated that I didn't re-send it when she asked for it (NOT true).

We exchanged a few more emails; I found and fixed a minor glitch; she got her report about an hour later.

But, seriously? I basically told her that if she didn't get it in an hour or less, it didn't work, and she should say so. I warned her of a potential problem and virtually handed her a solution. She waited for [math] times the duration I suggested before taking any action, and somehow I'm to blame. Ugh.

It's like those SCs who order a pizza, pick it up, drive around town for another four or five hours running errands, and then complain that their pizza was cold and dried out when they finally got it home.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

[math] = 20 x 24 x 60 / 40 = 720 times the duration. ;-)

Comment

Yes, that! Thank you, TheSHAD0W. I was too tired to do the calculation myself.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Working...
      X