This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My comptuer issues... And an unexpected fix

We moved cross country, and my computer stopped powering up. Push the button and nothing. I'm pretty sure it's not the power supply, but something could have come loose in the moving truck and I don't have the patience to reseat everything, neither does fiancé.

So we take it to a local shop. He goes to power it on..."the button feels a bit stiff"
    Open the case... The plastic bracket holding the internal switch to the button was broken! He tried to glue it to fix it, no go. So he took off the power button, strung the internal button through the hole and sent us on the way no charge because he doesn't consider that a fix!

Smart move on his part. A quick labour-only fix, so he's not out any money for the "freebie", and guess where you'll take your computer when you have to get some serious work done?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Smart move on his part. A quick labour-only fix, so he's not out any money for the "freebie", and guess where you'll take your computer when you have to get some serious work done?
      Heck, at my last job I would keep a couple of those clips around as we'd see that once or twice a year. Its just a couple more minutes when you're salvaging a PC before disposal, and you look like a genius to the VP who just angrily stabbed his power button hard enough to pop it all the way into the case. Even though its a quick plug & pop replacement, to many people plugging things into the motherboard is akin to magic!
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I hate those. We usually just take the plastic face off the front of the computer, since it's usually only cosmetic. The actual power switch underneath it is fine, but the cheap plastic switch on the cover always breaks. A lot of HP towers do that.

Comment

Working...
        X