This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Say the Q Word

So... yesterday was my first day back at work after an almost two-week vacation.

Around 7:30am, I made the mistake of commenting to one of my managers, in a joking fashion, "I kinda want a nice quiet day to ease me back into things."

She looked at me in horror and said, "DON'T SAY THAT."

Within ten minutes, we were slammed with calls. And we stayed slammed, with at least 2 calls waiting in the queue (all the way up to 8 calls in queue at one point), for the rest of the day.

It finally trickled off after 5pm, when most of The Client's workforce was leaving for the day.

I accepted responsibility for it, and said to the manager later, "I regret everything."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

There's also the W word...

As in it, "It can't get any worse!"
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Back when I still ran pen-n-paper RPGs, I trained my players to never, EVER say anything like "Whew! I hope we don't have to go through all of that again!" Well, I didn't tell them this overtly, but they learned...they learned, and quickly.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That reminds me of an ER nurse commenting they learned *never* to say, "You know who we haven't seen for a while?"

Comment

Also never say anything about making good time/light traffic on trips.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I learnt not to tell anyone that I'm about to take my lunch break soon. Because if I dare to word it out, someone would walk in. I usually shout "I'm off for lunch" when running in our break room...

Comment

Brings to mind this old comic (that page is safe, but the vast majority of that site is NSFW):

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Back when I was still on the register at the Warehouse, I made the mistake of saying that it was too quiet to one of the COS's. Sure enough, it got super busy for the next two hours -- I took responsibility for it once it died down.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

In the hospital where my mom used to work, the following words/phrases would probably be verboten:

- quiet
                  - slow
                  - not busy

because the moment you said any of them, the hospital would soon be slammed with people needing emergency care.
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

NEVER compliment the hose-like qualities of the vein you are palpating. Nor the good temper of anything but known excellent animals.

Comment

saying that word is all but forbidden in my store. Saying that word will, without fail, cause everyone in town to suddenly decide that C-Store is the place to be, all at once. Even if someone asks me if it's been quiet, I'll only attest to it being 'not bad' most of the time. Don't want to risk angering the SC gods, after all!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

At my job the words/phrases
                        "Go take a break/go give so and so a break."
                        "Go start this special project because we're dead."
                        "Go start stocking everything you can."
                        "I'm going to grab something to drink."
                        and
                        "So who wants to go home early?"
                        are all pretty much banned as well as "I wonder if we're going to be slow all day." "I kinda wish it'd pick up around x time and last until I go home.." "Today looks and feels like it's gonna be an easy day." "How many people do you have in line right now? None!"

As soon as any variation of those phrases/words get uttered...we get slammed....like from the counter to the freaking doors slammed and we stay that way for a few hours.

Comment

The list of things we never say in the cockpit, even jokingly, is very long. Here are a few.

We don't say "crash," "crunch," "mishap," or "accident," and we don't talk about recent ones while we are on the plane, as that is speaking "MacBeth" in a theater. We never, ever wish any of our coworkers a happy flight and never tell them to be safe. We don't ever tell a fellow pilot to relax.

We don't say "take-off" in reference to the event until we are actually cleared to do so, because repeating back instructions with air traffic control is mandatory. It's "departure" until then, even when making the request for clearance. Last time terminology got screwed up 583 people died.

We are always (or should always be) courteous to ATC. We always wish them a good day on first contact and always to the same before we switch.

We don't ask the flight attendants for coffee. We don't drink the in-flight coffee (and neither should you) because the potable aircraft water is disgusting.
                          Last edited by Swordsman422; 09-29-2016, 06:03 PM.
                          O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Quoth Swordsman422 View Post
                            Last time terminology got screwed up 583 people died.
                            He is not exaggerating that number, folks.
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

The perimeter's quiet. Yeah, a little too quiet.
                              Well, that was easy. Yeah, a little too easy.
                              Look, it's Raph! Yeah, a little too Raph.
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X