This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perspective check

I had thought my day wasn't so great. Lots of callers with problems, few with payments.

Then came the afternoon. Witnessed a co-worker from another project (right next to my own) being taken out on a stretcher by paramedics, was told about a teammate who came damn close to being fired today (she was hauled into great-grandboss' office for a dressing down. Surprised she hasn't been bounced before now, really), and another teammate informed me he'd been kicked out of his house (he was living with grandparents, IIRC).

Adjusted my perspective on a gloomy overcast day and disappointing lunch rather quickly.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Perspective and reality checks are very good for attitude adjustments! Yup.

"OH! Well, then. Ok..."

Comment

As I have been saying since my 9-11 adventures:

Don't sweat the small stuff. If it does not involve a 767, it is probably small stuff.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The day the gentleman got hit by the train I work on was a major perspective check. Before that happened a coworker and I had been complaining about the lack of product. Afterwards we both agreed that not having salmon spread wasn't that big of a deal in the scheme of things.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

SC take on the situation:

Just because some damnfool got himself hit is no reason to stop the train. I need to get to my destination. Gimme a salmon sandwich. What do you mean you're out of salmon spread - I demand compensation!
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I rarely have a bad day at work, but there was one day last year that just seemed to get worse and worse. We had originally departed out of Atlanta late because of gate delays and traffic issues, and it seemed that everywhere we went, the issues got compounded by further traffic delays, weather problems, or trouble at the gate. The last flight back to Atlanta, we were over an hour behind schedule. I thought it was a terrible day.

Came home to find out that an instructor friend of mine had been seriously injured when he and a student crashed into a metro neighborhood when their engine quit shortly after take-off. No one died, and he miraculously managed to keep them from hitting houses or cars.

Until that moment, I would have given anything to make up some time. Afterwards, I am just grateful that I left a plane with all it's big pieces still attached.
            O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

A CW recently found out that she very likely has bone cancer. So, yeah. Perspective check for sure.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

One hot summer day, I had to cut the grass. I had a membership at the local pool, so I figured I'd cool off there after I was done. When I got there, they had the entrance to the parking lot blocked off. Someone who was there to control traffic told me I'd have to wait until "the helicopter" left.

I didn't say anything, but I was a bit annoyed. I was all hot and sweaty, and I wanted to cool off. Fortunately, it was only a couple minutes before I could go in.

I found out the next day that the helicopter in question was Life Lion. A little girl had, for unknown reasons, run out into the busy road and got hit. Sadly, she didn't make it.

I felt like such an ass for getting pissed about having to wait to get into the pool, when someone there was literally dying.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Bad news today: the car has decided that it really doesn't need coolant as much as we think it does, and keeps dumping same. This will make grocery shopping a colossal pain in the butt.

Good news: DH doesn't think the probable offending part will be all that expensive, replacing it himself will be a pain but within his abiities, and taking the bus for a couple of days to get to work isn't that big a deal. We've had much worse automotive problems, such as that charming "hose of death" in the Ford Tempo we once had that killed an engine.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    A CW recently found out that she very likely has bone cancer. So, yeah. Perspective check for sure.
                    Too true. I was feeling sorry for myself today as it's 2 days before my birthday and I have a miserable cough that makes me feel like my ribs are being kicked on a regular basis.

A few hours ago a colleague called us all together and said that she's just been diagnosed with breast cancer, so she's going to be out a lot for the next 6-8 months between the op (however they do it, they're still working out how much to take) and later chemotherapy and recovery.

Suddenly I don't mind my cough so much.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      I felt like such an ass for getting pissed about having to wait to get into the pool, when someone there was literally dying.
                      It's not as if you knew it at the time.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I was griping about the bus commute to work. Then we got a call from a co-worker's Mother. Said co-worker got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Perspective check for me too.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Yeah, me too.

High blood pressure, shingles, pre-diabetic, cfs. Life ain't easy, and sometimes I'm cranky about it.

Then we gave an SCA demo the last couple of nights. To a couple of groups of mentally-challenged adults, and their carers.

A little less cranky about my own difficulties today . . .

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            Well, it's not bone cancer. It's stage four terminal lung cancer.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Well Hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X