This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourists. Go HOME

DC has a lot of tourism, what with the WH and all. But it's never been like this!! Tourism ends in fall here, when they go back home, wherever that is, and our percentages go down like the temperatures and we relax. Ahhh *sips tea*
    But not THIS year! Sold out most days and oversold the rest. WTH?!?! Go HOME. Go home, go home go home! Summer is over!!! And yet corp has been declaring that they won't stop advertising until every bed has a butt, and every butt is a D Member. WTF! Haven't they looked at our numbers? There's no room for more! Stop sending them to us have mercy PLZ!!! Everyone in our staff, except for the managers of course are looking thinner and grayer.
    Last edited by HotelMinion; 10-25-2016, 08:23 AM.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

It's still got to peak in Jan. Seems there's some sort of event this year that's very big. Even more so given who's involved.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
      It's still got to peak in Jan. Seems there's some sort of event this year that's very big. Even more so given who's involved.
      Nah. Can't be. If there were such a thing, it would surely be dominating the news, and social media, and causing all kinds of ill-tempered badwill and making many people genuinely worry about the future of our country...
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Well, it's not like you can go to D.C. and buy tickets to watch the "show", lol. Probably see more on the internet...

In a very small way, I can understand the frustration over tourists. My hometown has lost it's industry (fishing and logging) and now is just a place tourists go to see the pretty sailboats. Driving on the only road around the harbor makes my eye twitch. Speed limit is already slow, but people are driving 10 mph, making full stops where there isn't even a stop sign. Then the tourists wander into the street, and you're stuck while they meander across. It's pretty common for families to abruptly open their car doors into traffic, then unload their kids into strollers in the street. I much prefer the town I live in now, with the college kids driving like maniacs.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

If it's tourist season, what's the bag limit?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            If it's tourist season, what's the bag limit?
            You kill it, you eat it.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Well, it's not like you can go to D.C. and buy tickets to watch the "show", lol. Probably see more on the internet...

In a very small way, I can understand the frustration over tourists. My hometown has lost it's industry (fishing and logging) and now is just a place tourists go to see the pretty sailboats. Driving on the only road around the harbor makes my eye twitch. Speed limit is already slow, but people are driving 10 mph, making full stops where there isn't even a stop sign. Then the tourists wander into the street, and you're stuck while they meander across. It's pretty common for families to abruptly open their car doors into traffic, then unload their kids into strollers in the street. I much prefer the town I live in now, with the college kids driving like maniacs.
              Your hometown sounds a lot like my native part of the Oregon coast.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Tourism never really stops in Denver. Summer is our high season but then everyone is coming in to see the fall color in the mountains, and once that's done the skiers and snowboarders start arriving. Of course, living here you kind of have to deal with out-of-towners. 400 families a month move to Colorado, and Natives (those born within the state, like myself) are getting rare. I rather like talking to people from other areas, even if they don't always understand how we do things here (like no, you can't smoke dope inside when tobacco smoking indoors isn't allowed).
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

One of these days, I'd like to do more than just pass through Colorado. So far I've seen the Denver Greyhound Station, the Denver Airport, and the Colorado Springs Airport-not all at the same time.

As far as tourists go, I work in the industry so they're kind of a necessary evil. They can be annoying at times but most of them are pretty cool.
                  Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                    ...not all at the same time...
                    I should hope not. All three materialize in the same place at the same time?

It would go well with the New Yellowstone Caldera for a blast!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

HotelMinion, I guess you can partially blame me for bringing you so many people. Usually by this time of year, we see a slowdown in the rev flights. I'm usually flying south more than north. Not this year, no. I'll actually be doing KATL/KDCA for the weekend starting tonight. But they are paying me to dump them off with you, so I gotta comply.

Yeah, we're quite surprised, actually. The planes into KDCA and KIAD are still pretty loaded. And while I always love a layover in DC, I hate, hate, HATE the approach and departure routes out of KDCA. Well, not totally. KDCA River Visual into 19 is a wild ride. I just hope the forecast weather holds up. 'Cept for those winds. 14 knots gusting to 21... please get steady. Please...
                      O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Denver is great. You should totally visit! We are an hour from Rocky Mountain National Park, plus we have lots of city entertainment if that's more your thing. I don't ski bit we also have plenty of that. Skip the major resorts like Brekenridge (too crowded) and try Loveland Pass or Arapahoe Basin.
                        Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 10-28-2016, 05:20 PM.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                          Denver is great. You should totally visit! We are an hour from Rocky Mountain National Park, plus we have lots of city entertainment if that's more your thing. I don't ski bit we also have plenty of that. Skip the major resorts like Brekenridge (too crowded) and try Loveland Pass or Arapahoe Basin.
                          Colorado doesn't really appeal to me. I can no longer complain about certain legalizations now that Alaska's been hit too, but between the evil airport in Denver, the high altitude/thin air making engines run slow, and the likely high tourist traffic on all the good roads...
                          Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Nah. Can't be. If there were such a thing, it would surely be dominating the news, and social media, and causing all kinds of ill-tempered badwill and making many people genuinely worry about the future of our country...
                            IMHO nothing is as scarier than the SC tourists that keep talking over you. Elections, bring it on! Tourists go away. Nothin new to see here.
                            Quoth Swordsman422 View Post
                            HotelMinion, I guess you can partially blame me for bringing you so many people. Usually by this time of year, we see a slowdown in the rev flights. I'm usually flying south more than north. Not this year, no. I'll actually be doing KATL/KDCA for the weekend starting tonight. But they are paying me to dump them off with you, so I gotta comply.

Yeah, we're quite surprised, actually. The planes into KDCA and KIAD are still pretty loaded. And while I always love a layover in DC, I hate, hate, HATE the approach and departure routes out of KDCA. Well, not totally. KDCA River Visual into 19 is a wild ride. I just hope the forecast weather holds up. 'Cept for those winds. 14 knots gusting to 21... please get steady. Please...
                            Is there some way that you could make an announcement to your passengers to stay at our competitor hotels????
                            And I know what you mean about the wind...last night I heard our building creeakk as the wind pushed it to one side, and than pushed it back. One day it's gonna crumble on me! I bet.
                            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post

Quoth Seanette View Post
                              Your hometown sounds a lot like my native part of the Oregon coast.
                              Sounds like my neck of the woods. Reno is bad enough, but then you go to Virginia City or Lake Tahoe and dear God, the traffic from tourists is out of control. And, while Lake Tahoe at least has some public transit (at least enough for locals going to work), Virginia City has nothing, you drive or you don't go (but, of course, not going just isn't an option, now is it).
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X