Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want us to sell you that for WHAT?

Today was a hell of a day at the Store. As I was clocking in for my evening grocery floor shift, we were already at what I like to call "Critical Mass"; all the registers are open, there are long lines at all of them, there are no carts in the cartroom, and the parking lot is almost completely full. I.e.; the only reason we aren't busier is because it isn't physically possible for us to accommodate any more business. No sooner have I clocked in and grabbed my radio and my set of supervisor keys from the office than I get flagged down by a cashier who's having trouble with a customer.

The customer is holding a package of pork steaks from the meat department. It costs $9.03. However, a bit of meat juice has gotten onto the label and smudged the 9 so that it almost kinda sorta looks like a zero. Quoth the SC: "This is mislabeled. I want it for three cents and you HAVE to give it to me for this price."

The cojones on this woman, and the aggression she came at me with right away, knocked my socks off. I could have pointed out that the weight and the price per pound on the label were completely legible and it was thus obvious that the package wasn't 3 cents. I could have pointed out that when the barcode is scanned it doesn't come up at 3 cents. I could have showed her that the last three digits of the barcode are identical to the package price and, surprise surprise, it's not three cents. I could have said that the fact that the label is smudged doesn't make it "mislabeled" any more than if you just tore the 9 off the label with your fingers. I could've said that since the outside of the package was contaminated with meat juice that we couldn't sell it to her at any price.

I didn't do any of that, because it was clear to me that this woman was being irrational and thought she'd found some kind of cheat code that would beat the system, so I just went into strict deadpan mode.

Me: (cutting her off mid-sentence) I'm not selling that to you for three cents.
    SC: What do you mean?
    Me: I'm not selling that to you for three cents.
    SC: By law you HAVE to. (Oh, if I only had a nickel for every law our customers have invented.)
    Me: That's not a law.
    SC: I will walk out of this store and I will never shop here again if I don't get this for this price! (Oh, no, please don't go, your three cents is the only thing between us and financial ruin.)
    Me: If that's what you want to do, then you have a nice day.
    SC: YOU ARE VERY RUDE! I'M GOING TO TALK TO YOUR GENERAL MANAGER!
    Me: (challenge accepted) I'll call for him right now. (on my radio) GM, could you come to checkstand X? I have a customer I need your assistance with.

Within about 30 seconds, GM arrives.

GM: What's up, Smapti?
    Me: This customer wants us to...
    SC: YOU STAY OUT OF THIS! YOU ARE VERY RUDE! (repeats her initial demand to the GM)
    GM: Go ahead and get started on your work. I'll handle this.

I stepped away at that time and let him deal with her, so I don't know exactly what was said, but in the long run, she didn't get to buy the steaks for 3 cents. I caught up to the GM later and asked him what he wants me to do if something like that happens again, and he responded;

"You did exactly what you were supposed to do. What a crazy ."

The rest of the day was a roller coaster ride of long lines, empty shelves, giant milk spills that took forever to clean up, live product unloads, and our cardboard compactor being unusable for hours because the garbage-man locked his keys in his truck, but at least I got my quotient of crazy out of the way right at the beginning.
    Last edited by Smapti; 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM.

Who would be stupid enough to think that a package of pork steaks cost 3 cents? Wait...that's right...customoos....lol.

Comment

Customoos...I like it! I may have to borrow that word from you

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        Who would be stupid enough to think that a package of pork steaks cost 3 cents?
        Oh, I'm completely sure that she knew they weren't supposed to be that price. She saw the smudged label and said to herself "A-ha! This label is smudged! These fat-cats HAVE to sell it to me for this price! It's THE LAW! I've beaten THE MAN at last!", much like the nutcases you can see on YouTube trying to argue that they're exempt from DUI laws because of the Uniform Commercial Code or gold-fringed-flags or 9/11 and so forth.

Comment

It's really good that you, as a supervisor, and your boss have a healthy environment to discourage the proliferation of of toxic sucktomers.

Oh, if they only meant it when they dramatically declare that they will never darken your door again.

Comment

I'n not sure I would want meat that cheap! Talk about mystery meatcarrion....barring some kind of catch/promo (e.g. spend $100 at the store and get a chicken for a dime), of course.
            Last edited by taxguykarl; 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
              Oh, I'm completely sure that she knew they weren't supposed to be that price. She saw the smudged label and said to herself "A-ha! This label is smudged! These fat-cats HAVE to sell it to me for this price! It's THE LAW! I've beaten THE MAN at last!", much like the nutcases you can see on YouTube trying to argue that they're exempt from DUI laws because of the Uniform Commercial Code or gold-fringed-flags or 9/11 and so forth.
              The fact that the store was super busy didn't hurt either. Some cashiers might have sold her the steaks for three cents just to get her out of the store and the checkout line moving again.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I vaguely remember some SC trying this on a clearance item once. The ink was probably running out on the price gun, and the far left number was a little faint. It was still readable, and was in a giant pile of items that were all marked clearly, plus you could see the decimal. This woman had obviously sorted through until she found this ONE that was a LITTLE faintly printed. She didn't get the stupidly low price, either.

This must work for them sometimes, though. Once at Bullseye my mom and I had something we thought was clearance but wasn't, and the cashier just gave us the cheaper price even though we wouldn't have pushed it.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

IPF -- I think that that is exactly what she was banking on.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She has the same chance of getting those steaks for 3 cents, as I do getting Ariel Winter in my bed wearing nothing but a smile.

Yeah, not going to happen.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Sounds like that GM is a keeper.
                      AkaiKitsune
                      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

What is with customers and screaming "FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!11" constantly? I've been a customer longer than I've been a retail minion and in all my years of being a customer, I've never claimed false advertising because honestly, fighting about such things isn't worth it. Just don't buy it and move on. >.<

Comment

Back when I worked for the Navy commissary it was posted all over the place that merchandise would be sold for the price on the shelf, but meat was not included in that rule. So what did I get? A woman who insisted that the huge pack of ribs that had erroneously been priced at $0.00 should be free. This particular customer had been a pain in previous encounters, and why she kept coming through my line I don't know, but she kept telling me it was "the law" that I had to give her this huge pack of ribs for free. I didn't even wait - I immediately yelled (and I do mean yelled) for the closest supervisory person, and got the store manager. The customer didn't like that I felt it necessary to summon the store manager (so she said) but I knew why, due to previous encounters with this customer: The store manager was a very nice lady, but she tolerated very little nonsense from customers and employees, and she was great to work for. Anyway, she sent me back to have the ribs rewrapped and repriced, and I went back to the meat section and told the gentleman back there, "This woman up front wants this whole xylophone of ribs for free!" Once the meat cutters all stopped laughing about my "xylophone" reference (I was informed that they were called 'racks') the package was repriced and rewrapped.

I had other encounters with that same customer, like the time she insisted I was trying to overcharge her, so the above-mentioned store manager had another cashier rering her order, and the other cashier and I disagreed by 1 cent, which was easily explained by the weight of a scale item. Really, if she thought I was so incompetent why did she always come through my line? Boggles the mind.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                            She has the same chance of getting those steaks for 3 cents, as I do getting Ariel Winter in my bed wearing nothing but a smile.

Yeah, not going to happen.
                            Is it you or Ariel Winter just wearing the smile?
                            It will have a big effect on the pictures in my head...

Also,who's Ariel Winter....?...googles her....
                            Ah now I see... in the words of Mr.G.Quagmire...giggity giggity giggity....
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                              Sounds like that GM is a keeper.
                              Working at a store as busy as ours tends to bring out the best in the people who run the place. The guy he replaced is now the regional VP. About half a dozen of the assistant managers/supervisors we've had have gone on to be GMs elsewhere. The company even sends us a lot of the manager candidates in the region to train for AM.
                              Last edited by Smapti; 01-11-2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X