Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, lady, go to our competitor ...

So it was a fairly quiet day today ... we had only five people in the store as a significant number of my coworkers are off sick. (It should be noted that we only needed five people; apparently Ass't. Mgr. has been ordered to schedule EIGHT people each Saturday. In January. With Christmas just barely past.)

SP: Serious Pest
    Me
    AM: Assistant Manager

Right at the end of the shift (of course) a woman walks in wanting green tea. Which one's the cheapest? I pick up the tin.

SP: "That's the cheapest??"

Me: "Yes." (thinks: No, we've got tea hiding in the backroom that's $1 per pound but I'm not going to show it to you.)

SP: "Oh. Is it organic?"

Momentary diversion here: for whatever reason, we no longer specify which teas are organic (we did have maybe half a dozen that we could certify as organic and their tins had little stickers on them saying so. Those stickers are gone.) The explanations I've heard are various and some are bizarre: we're going by EU standards and they are very tough; we use the same scoops on organic and non-organic teas (and thus I assume we "contaminate" the organics); the bags in which we put the tea for the purchaser are not "organic" (how the hell do you get "organic" BAGS?!), etc. Anyway, for all intents and purposes, we no longer have organic teas.

But SP won't give up. "Those rules are ridiculous! They make no sense!" (She's got a point there ...) "So which ones ARE organic?"

At some point AM steps in and explains the situation in detail about the 'organic' label. SP is not impressed and continues to demand to know which ones are organic.

Ultimately I show her several teas. She's interested in two. She wants little taste samples of both of them. We normally do NOT do this. I go over and ask AM what to do. AM says go ahead. So I make the smallest possible quantity of both teas. SP ultimately bought some of each. SURPRISE!! NEITHER WAS ONE OF OUR PREVIOUSLY LABELLED ORGANIC TEAS.

After she left, AM told me we should never provide taste samples that close to closing. Excuse me, but I asked you for permission.

Next time SP comes in, if she comes anywhere near me, I am going to hand her over to somebody else so fast her head'll spin.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    After she left, AM told me we should never provide taste samples that close to closing. Excuse me, but I asked you for permission.
    What a first-class idiot!

Comment

Let me serve you a fine inorganic tea. This ferric sulphate decoction seems to be a fine match for you.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Re: organic bags, I would imagine those are bags made from either trees (for paper bags) that were raised on an organic farm, or from plant fibers (for cloth bags) that were raised on an organic farm.

Why that should make a difference I don't know.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The fabric store had a small amount of organic cotton fabric. Once someone asked if it was dyed with organic, plant-based dye. I had no idea, I only knew what it said on the label. The lady didn't like that answer, and let me know by sighing and fussing with the fabric and muttering about wanting to be "sure." Surprise, this didn't make me know the answer. At that time it wasn't as easy for me to look it up on our website, but if she had wanted to she could have looked on her own time. But that would have taken about a minute of her time, which was better spent being mad at me.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            But that would have taken about a minute of her time, which was better spent being mad at me.
            Well, yeah. but the latter required less effort on her part, so...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Organic tea, organic scoops, organic bags. The label doesn't sound worth it.

Comment

Working...
              X