Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIL: Corporate put a "freeze" on AP apprehensions because it hurt a custy's feelings

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIL: Corporate put a "freeze" on AP apprehensions because it hurt a custy's feelings

Maybe they'll put a neon sign in front of our store that says: "STEAL FROM US!!!" next.

Yeah, so a few weeks ago a woman got busted for stealing from another store in another state. She cooperated with AP(ASSet protection) but then when she got home, she called corporate with a sob story about how her fee fees were hurt when they agent interviewed her and told her that if she was going to come back to the store again, the company would be taking certain precautions(aka, we're gonna have a security dude on your ass at all times). Did corporate tell her that thieves are not customers and to go fuck herself? NO. Corporate apologized, gave her free stuff, un-adult supervision required her, had the store AP team APOLOGIZE TO HER, and is now launching a company wide review on how we deal with thieves.

So basically, my bros in AP said they are now glorified doormen with security badges. All I wanted was justice.

Just more proof management lives in a world all their own and haven't clue one as to how the REAL world works...

You know this will bring out every shoplifter and scam artist for miles around, knowing there's a clueless store just begging to be taken to the cleaners...

The question is, will management get a clue before the store tanks under the huge losses you can see coming from miles away?

And of course this will all be the fault of flyonthewall and coworkers!

Comment

Yep, it'll be all the fault of the workers when profits plummet through the proverbial basement floor.

Because there is NO WAY this woman will keep her yap shut about this. She's gonna brag to anybody who can't run away fast enough how she put one over on "The Man" or "The Suits" or somedamnthing.

Seriously, why have any staff at all? Just spread the merchandise out on the counters, open the doors to the mob, and let 'em go.

That just ... seriously ... I dunno what to say. Except maybe flyonthewall might want to start looking for another job now, before the roof falls in ...
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Luckily, our location has a low shrinkage rate of retail products so it's not going to hurt us as much as some stores. Our biggest problem is people taking our displays and as someone who is a member of the display team, I get hella pissed off. That's MY stuff. Well, from a legal perspective it's not mine but I am the keeper of the stuff. AP was telling me what it's like to know someone has stolen our shit and to have to watch them walk away with it. It sounds awful. The lady's argument was she was SOOOOO embarrassed and they should have been more discrete or some shit when they busted her.

I read an article the other day that argued that shoplifting should not be a crime and cops should not be called because it hurt community trust and some bullshit. >.<

Comment

Shoplifting lessons from Retail.

Dealing with a shoplifter.

Preventing store theft, the corporate way.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

No wonder so many store chains are folding. With that kind of thinking.
            As for corporate So they hurt a thief's feelings--Boo Fricking Hoo!
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Shoplifting lessons from Retail.
              Preventing store theft, the corporate way.
              They DO have a point in a way.

That reminds me, I have this thing where I steal pens when I'm feeling petty.
              Last edited by flyonthewall; 01-27-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

So, fly, what store do you work for again?

Comment

Sounds like AP is needed to get through corporate's thick skulls. What, you didn't mean "Armour Piercing"? Not "Anti-Personnel" either?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I bet this is not the whole story. I bet the shoplifter was a minority or some other protected class and threatened litigation. Either that or the amount stolen wasn't enough to merit a stop according to company policies.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I bet this is not the whole story. I bet the shoplifter was a minority or some other protected class and threatened litigation. Either that or the amount stolen wasn't enough to merit a stop according to company policies.
                      That's the first thing I asked actually. Nope, white woman custy and a white AP woman. White woman on white woman discrimination?

As a white woman myself, I am extremely confused.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 01-27-2017, 02:44 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

The only thing I agree with on most shoplifting policy is not to get physical. Unless you are trained, authorized and able to defend yourself, stopping a shoplifter just dint worth it. Nobody should risk their life or health to protect objects. Stuff is replaceable people are not.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Here is the ultimate solution to shoplifting.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I read an article the other day that argued that shoplifting should not be a crime
                            Excuse me while I reboot my brain.

I mean WTF??
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                            X