This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First SC of the tax season

Or now I remember why I hate refund loans. While this year's loan deal is not the usurious rip-off of prior years, that won't prevent the SC's.

I got an earful from one who was declined. He harangued me with accusations of deceptive practices and fraud because he was declined....as if we were the ones who trashed his credit to the point where he couldn't qualify for this type of loan.

This may be a long season (none the least due to the later deadline-4/18).
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

I filled at home but its also going to draw out the SC's because of that new law and them holding most refunds till 2/15 and they said we wont see deposit till closer to 2/27

They act like it cant wait mines being spent the same way weather I get it now or latter.

Comment

I don't even have all of my paperwork yet for taxes. It's too early for this.

Comment

I still do mine on paper and mail them in. I can do the EZ form so i am not paying a boatload for software that will let me file electronically. I just did mine, and put it in the mail today. Federal literally takes me 5 minutes to do, and another couple to check over. I can wait for my money.

Comment

I miss e-filing my 1040 EZ.

Thanks to some asshole, my social security number was used back in 2012 to file a fradulent return, so now each year I get a new PIN number from the IRS and I have to print and mail my forms in.

I thought the cutoff was 3 years but I received yet another letter in December with a PIN for my 2016 return.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            I got an earful from one who was declined. He harangued me with accusations of deceptive practices and fraud because he was declined....as if we were the ones who trashed his credit to the point where he couldn't qualify for this type of loan.
            Since when is an SC ever responsible for their own problems?
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
              I don't even have all of my paperwork yet for taxes. It's too early for this.
              Regulations mark the deadline for W-2's and 1099's as January 31.
              Quoth raw1989 View Post
              its also going to draw out the SC's because of that new law and them holding most refunds till 2/15 and they said we wont see deposit till closer to 2/27
              Those are returns with certain refundable credits: earned income, higher education and child tax credits. If none of those apply to you, expect the refund within 3 weeks.
              Quoth raw1989 View Post
              They act like it cant wait mines being spent the same way weather I get it now or latter.
              Some can't. I've been put on the phone with auto financers and landlords to verify that the custy is being handed a cashier's check for the tax refund....Come to think of it, that's the only time when I would even consider such a loan (especially the old usurious ones): if the alternative is eviction or repo.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

We typically don't get our refund until late April or early May. February is still pretty good.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I was pissed at myself last year; in my hurry to get my return in, i totally forgot to add in my bank info for DD, so had to wait for a check.

This year, I did remember, but whenever the money comes, I'm happy. Now I have to do my state, which is four pages and much more involved. UGH.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                    I still do mine on paper and mail them in. I can do the EZ form so i am not paying a boatload for software that will let me file electronically. I just did mine, and put it in the mail today. Federal literally takes me 5 minutes to do, and another couple to check over. I can wait for my money.
                    you can e-file that for free you only pay for state if u have state and if u cant do an EZ. I know you can wait just wanted to let u know.

Comment

When we first moved to Oregon we had to pay federal taxes, plus state taxes for Oregon, California (from where we'd moved) and Virginia (Since Turtleguy was a Virginia resident when he was in the military). A bit of advice - don't move in the middle of the year, like we did, if you can possibly avoid it. We waited until Turtleguy retired from the military on May 31, and at that point we were so tired of California we just finished up what needed to be done and moved on July 4. Only good part was that we met a man through a Bible study we'd joined who was a tax preparer, and we still go to him after all these years because (a) he's honest as the day is long, and (b) he knows his business. He's in his late 70s and has been talking retirement, which he says has not been received by most of his clients as good news.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        Regulations mark the deadline for W-2's and 1099's as January 31.
                        Those are returns with certain refundable credits: earned income, higher education and child tax credits. If none of those apply to you, expect the refund within 3 weeks.
                        Some can't. I've been put on the phone with auto financers and landlords to verify that the custy is being handed a cashier's check for the tax refund....Come to think of it, that's the only time when I would even consider such a loan (especially the old usurious ones): if the alternative is eviction or repo.
                        Most people who need it now are the ones with the credits I have the credits but its paying off debit and im having the rest of the work done on my car so mine can wait. I have learned never count on your taxes I mean what do u do for the rest of the year.. Why rely on taxes... but as I say carry on... Hopefully the SC's don't come out but I see them already because they have to wait till the end of February

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                          We typically don't get our refund until late April or early May. February is still pretty good.
                          My was may I waited 14 weeks filing injured spouse is not joke glad I cleared them up last year and don't need to wait that long this year.

Comment

Quoth raw1989 View Post
                            you can e-file that for free you only pay for state if u have state and if u cant do an EZ. I know you can wait just wanted to let u know.
                            Yup, thanks, i can actually do my state return on their site, and file electronically free. I actually don't mind sending in a paper return; i'm in no rush.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                              When we first moved to Oregon we had to pay federal taxes, plus state taxes for Oregon, California (from where we'd moved) and Virginia (Since Turtleguy was a Virginia resident when he was in the military). A bit of advice - don't move in the middle of the year, like we did, if you can possibly avoid it. We waited until Turtleguy retired from the military on May 31, and at that point we were so tired of California we just finished up what needed to be done and moved on July 4. Only good part was that we met a man through a Bible study we'd joined who was a tax preparer, and we still go to him after all these years because (a) he's honest as the day is long, and (b) he knows his business. He's in his late 70s and has been talking retirement, which he says has not been received by most of his clients as good news.
                              My mom has to filed in NJ, where she lives now, VA, where she still owns a house that hasn't yet sold, and PA since she owns property there. I'm pretty proud of her. My dad used to do their taxes as he did it volunteering after he retired. First year, mom had an accountant but decided she would give it a go with turbotax. at that time, she was living in VA so only had to do that and PA.

I'm pretty impressed with her; she just turned 82 and has all her marbles and then some. Plus she keeps meticulous records. and knows when she's missing tax stuff. It may take her a while, but she gets it done, and has never had any issues with it being wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X