This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Air Pirate

Well, now that the holidays have ended and my schedule is more normal (thank you, travelers, for enabling my addictions) I can get back to posting. And boy, this one's fun.

So, when I have time I help out at a nearby flight school operated by one of my coworkers. They (we?) provide airplane rentals as well as lessons, and it's okay if a client makes arrangements to rent an aircraft for several days. The most popular traveling plane in the fleet is a Diamond DA40, a little Austrian-built four-seater that looks like a sperm cell grew wings and a t-tail.

One of our renters has always been a bit of a self-important pain-in-the-ass. He always refers to himself third-person style as "the Pilot in Command." As in "I know this plane can fly for an hour on the fuel it has, but I'm the pilot in command and I want it topped off" of "well, the pilot in command wants this plane towed to the T-line before we start it up."

Well, Mr. PIC rents the 40 for a weekend. Fine, whatever. If the plane isn't flying it's not generating revenue, just like the big boys. Fast forward to the end of his weekend. I'm at the school helping with dispatch and we are tracking his flight. About an hour out, his track disappears. We thought it a little odd, and after 30 minutes of not seeing the track resume, we call the FAA to report and overdue plane. About 20 minutes later, they get back to us. Having contacted the nearest field to the end of track, they discover that our plane had landed, taken on fuel, and had then parked on the T-line by the fly-in restaurant. We then called that airport operations center and asked if the plane was still there. They reported that it had just started up and was taxiing out. The chief's wife (and therefore the head of the school) texted Mr. PIC and asks him if he stopped and why, getting a reply that they had been running low on fuel and they got hungry.

FAR/AIM Part 91.151 requires that during a daylight VFR flight, and aircraft must possess enough fuel onboard to fly to the destination filed on the flight plan plus remain airborne for another 30 minutes. Mr. PIC had given the school's field as his destination with no stops and thereby filed and flown an illegal flight plan. He was also an hour overdue, forcing us to cancel a lesson that was supposed to take place after a 30-minute turn around of this aircraft and losing the school several hundred dollars in revenue.

The owners of the school conferenced several days after this incident and decided to deny him further service, giving him official notification by email. An hour after this email is sent, the phone rings. This is the conversation between the chief's wife (CW) and the renter (PIC).

PIC: Hey, CW, what the fuck does this email mean about denial of service?!
    CW: Well, as the email says, under state law, we are permitted to deny service to anyone for any reason. We are exercising that right due o your repeated negligence and recklessness with our property.
    PIC: Okay, that's some fucking bullshit. I have always been a safe pilot. I wasn't reckless with shit!
    CW: Well, I know that the flight that prompted this denial was illegal. You did not have enough fuel onboard to meet regulations. You landed without informing us of your delay and were over an hour overdue causing us to lose revenue. Plus, we had to find out that our aircraft was safe by contacting the FAA to report it. This is just the most recent example of your unacceptable behavior with our airplanes and we no longer want your business.
    PIC: Okay, that flight plan was not illegal because of the fuel requirements. We landed because we didn't have enough fuel. As the pilot in command, I thought it a safe decision to divert and refuel. And I sent you a text when you asked where we were. I demand that you still provide me with rental service.
    CW (after trying to wrap her head around his excuse): Uh, no, we are not going to allow you to rent from us again. If you want to rent planes, do it with someone else.

She thereafter hung up.

They've ben waiting for Mr. PIC to show up to carry on the complaint in person, but apparently it hasn't happened yet.
    O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

PIC should be happy he isn't being fined by the FAA for that stunt.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Yeah, it's not like running afoul of FEDERAL REGULATIONS is a big deal or anything.......... just tell them the PIC said it was okay....
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        PIC should be happy he isn't being fined by the FAA for that stunt.
        Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Yeah, it's not like running afoul of FEDERAL REGULATIONS is a big deal or anything.......... just tell them the PIC said it was okay....
        POD to these, PIC is lucky he still has a pilot's license!

Did your company charge him for the lost revenue?

Comment

They did not. They just told him to fuck off and not come back. Having their last physical memory of him being his backside as he departed forever was good enough.

Comment

PIC = Pilot In Command?

More like Pain In Cockpit.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

In this case, "PIC" means that the "R" and "K" have fallen off the sign.

BTW, since you're involved in aviation, does the "Swordsman" in your user name refer to the (North American Aviation) Sabre, or the (Diamond) Katana?
              Last edited by wolfie; 02-04-2017, 11:51 AM.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Air Pirate? His name didn't happen to be Don Karnage, did it...?

Comment

This guy has a future in politics. Categorically declaring the wrong thing you did wasn't wrong because reasons is behavior better suited for the halls of government. Us normals don't get away with that.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    BTW, since you're involved in aviation, does the "Swordsman" in your user name refer to the (North American Aviation) Sabre, or the (Diamond) Katana?
                    Neither, though I'm a huge fan of the DA20-C1 Katana. Quirks and all, it's my favorite touring plane. Safe, reliable, adequately powerful, and offers excellent visibility. It's as fun on a date as a '56 ragtop Corvette.

Nah, I got the appellation back in my college theater days. For one play, the art department required for insurance purposes that anyone involved in the on-stage fight choreography get stage combat certified.

For professional reasons, I'm obliged to be vexed and slightly embarrassed that my aviator friends all refer to me as Spanky. Yes, there's a story (any good nickname has one). No, I won't share.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      Air Pirate? His name didn't happen to be Don Karnage, did it...?
                      He's speaking to you now, IN his OWN voice....

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        He's speaking to you now, IN his OWN voice....
                        "Now where could that idol be...? Idol. Idol! 'Joo know, I like that word..."

Comment

I see PIC coming back DEMANDING you rent him an aircraft. After all, don't you know how important he is?

Comment

I'd agree, and give him a paper one.

Comment

Gotta love the desperate for a power trip ones. Bet he applied to the military and the police academy and got kicked out or was turned down for both.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                              X