Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Mackerels -- I has one (yes, that's actually my cat), along with a red tabby ^_^

A few years ago, a friend of mine who worked at GameStore (who moonlighted as a vet tech) was preparing to move so that she could take care of her elderly parents (their choice, not hers). The thing is, said parents made it abundantly clear that it would not end well for her three kitties if she brought them into their household >_>

Thus, she began interviewing people she knew, and decided on me I got all three, tho one of them has since passed on (a very talkative Siamese).

The cats themselves had been rescues in the first place, and the mackerel had apparently been physically abused before the CW rescued her It literally took her a month to get her to the point where she would come to me, or even eat when a human was in the room, but she's since turned into my little velcro-kitty They're up to the low teens, now...I can't really tell if they're slowing down as they age ~_~ They've always been lapcats.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She's home

In other news, Tiger had earmites....but after a rather rough morning at the vet, he's doing fine.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Whoo hooo! Congrats! :congrats:

Can Haz Pics?
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

on your new friend, Blas!

And I second Silk: pics, please!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

When we got our brothers, my mom complained "Tabbies? Can't you find anything but tabbies? They're so COMMON and boring!" yet she also grexes nonstop about her lovely longhaired dilute calico and ragdoll mix, who are both among the showiest AND best natured cats I've ever seen. Annoyed that the girls hang all over her, annoyed that the boys mostly ignore her...make up yer mind, woman!

My handsome mackarel tabby boys..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Fire_on_High; 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM. Reason: Image management wtf
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
              My handsome mackarel tabby boys..
              And handsome boys they are. That's a very cute pic
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                When we got our brothers, my mom complained "Tabbies? Can't you find anything but tabbies? They're so COMMON and boring!"..
                Some of the nicest and most beautiful cats I've known have been tabbies!

Great pic! They are both very handsome.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  She's home
                  Congratulations! I'm also trying to adopt a cat that I saw at Petsmart. Two, actually. After the string of cat losses over the last few years -- some from age and some from sudden unexpected illness -- we've found ourselves down to two cats for the first time in almost 13 years. We had a third one for little bit, but he was my son's cat, and he recently moved out and took his cat with him.

The two we have left are over overgrown 13-lb kitten who will be a year old next month, and one of the two compact kitties that my friends found abandoned by their mother as kittens, and nursed them back to health. That one's almost seven years old now, and on the small side. The other one likes to play, and sometimes he gets a little too rough with him. He used to play with my son's cat, and they were closer in age and size, and more evenly matched.

We've been thinking about getting him another playmate, another one close in age and size, and maybe another one close to age and size as our older cat. We've been to the pet stores on many occasions, and we've looked at cats just to look, but even when we still had six cats, it was so tempting to take one or two home with us.

This past Saturday, we stopped by there to pick up some goldfish for our aquarium, but decided to look at the kitties first. We didn't intend to get any cats, although I knew at that time of the day on a Saturday, the volunteers would be there, and it would be so easy to break down and want to take some home. And that's what happened. We found one that was about a year and a half old, and about the same size as our kitten, and fell in love with him right away. But then we saw on the back of the tag that there was already an adoption pending. One of the ladies told me that "it wasn't going well", and went on to explain that the other person who had filled out the application had four cats, and didn't list a vet. Then she walked away to talk to one of the other ladies, and then came back and told us that he was available.

While we were looking at him, one of the other kitties came up to the front of the cage and started reaching her paws at us, like she was saying, "Take me home!" She was a little older, about a year younger than our older cat, and we figured that they might be a good match. She snarled at us when we first let her out of the cage, and I started having second thoughts, but she warmed up to us pretty quickly, even letting us pick her up. Even the volunteers seemed surprised.

We played with the two kitties for a little bit, and then put them back in their cages, and then filled out the application. So far, it's looking pretty good. I got a call from them this morning, letting me know that my vet had verified that the cats I already have are fixed and up to date on their shots. They said that they were going to call my references next. They asked for two, so I listed the people I got the cats I currently have from.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack Blas's thread. If everything works out, I'll start a new thread and post a pic of the new kitties.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Not a problem at all, Mike.

I'm so glad to hear that some of us that have been coping with bad furbaby losses have been healing well and moving along with new additions

I remember my parents swore up and down, practically on the darned Bible that as soon as the pets we had (at the time, Bear the Dog, Fatty Cat, and Baby the feral demon) passed away, one at a time, that's that, no more.

Well, that first changed when we inherited Tiger in 2011, and then now with....hmm, what shall I call her.....Girly Girl.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                    X