• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last moving parts are out

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5a&oe=57DBD0E3

Next stop: Engine Shop

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ac&oe=57CF5F83
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      The last moving parts are out...
      Looks for picture of Argabarga being hoisted...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

But I don't WANT my moving parts out...

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          But I don't WANT my moving parts out...
          We just wanna change your oil, tune up your body, and stop the leaks and backfiring
          ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

what year is she? there was at one point a gold '77 grand prix in my family.

Comment

78' Grand Prix LJ, first year for "downsized" Grand Prixs, only weighs a modest 4700 pounds.

Comment

Took a while due to an unexpectedly long line ahead of me at the engine shop, but I got my block back today (and all the other stuff)

http://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5325/30...60c39291_b.jpg

Comment

I gather the vehicle shown is the F-body you mentioned in another thread, not the Grand Prix you're doing the engine work on. Might want to blur the plate in the picture.

REAL bad luck would be someone who loses a Flathead Ford to valve-piston contact when it eats its timing chain.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Let's hear it for NON-interference engines! Or, in this case, a 38 year old motor using a 60 year old OHV design. The only difference between it and the one in the FRONT of the Camaro is 49 cubic inches. (301 Pontiac vs 350 Chevrolet)

I have no reason to blur my plate, I drive around with it visible in public all the time and who it belongs to is a matter of public record anyway.

Actually, I lied, I am missing one part.

The harmonic balancer. It's apparently no longer available in the wholesale/retail parts chain, but, they do show up on eBay, and that's one of the final pieces to go on anyway. I can build the rest of it while waiting for one to turn up.

Comment

There might be aftermarket balancers in the "hot rodder" supply chain, and I've read that there are some places that can rebuild a balancer by replacing the rubber ring. Might want to check both possibilities since you can't get an OEM one through the normal supply chain. I'd steer clear of eBay - anything there is probably either used (possibly abused), as old as the one you're replacing (rubber deteriorates - NOS rubber parts are generally a bad idea), or Chinese Replacement Auto Parts. I've read on an automotive forum (non-GM) that anything made of Chinesium is most likely a "will fit" - does it have the proper mass of the outer ring and resiliency of the rubber bit for your engine, or was it designed for a more popular engine and will bolt onto yours, but won't balance it properly - and are generally of low quality.

The reason it would be REALLY bad luck to lunch the valves on a Flathead Ford is that it's physically impossible. On your engine, if something REALLY BAD happened in the head and the valves traveled further than they're supposed to, you could get contact with the piston. On the FF, the valves are beside the cylinder and travel parallel to it, so even extending the travel lines to infinity wouldn't result in contact.

Comment

Okay, brace yourself, I'm going to try and put it back together....

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c4&oe=58B4E56B

Block needed .030 to true up the cylinders

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7c&oe=58D0B6F4

Which required new .030 pistons.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e6&oe=58C130D6

And the crank journals were too scuffed to resurface, needing a new crank. This poor motor got only maybe 1/4 of the oil changes it needed, it was a gunky mess inside.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d1&oe=588A217C

Comment

You can't turn the crank and use 1st under bearings? That's what some engine builders will do.

...Then again, those are the same folks that will take the two halves of a crankcase and machine the surfaces where those halves meet, just so they can bore the journals back to round again. And will time-sert every stinking threaded hole in the case...

(Yeah, magnesium is nice and light, but it ain't that strong!)
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            Then again, those are the same folks that will take the two halves of a crankcase and machine the surfaces where those halves meet, just so they can bore the journals back to round again.
                            VeeDub family (including Porsche) or Subaru? The only engines I know of where you "split the cases" are boxers - all others have caps for the main bearings.

Comment

The crank was scuffed in parts they couldn't resurface, I'm just lucky the crank took the damage, and it didn't spin the bearing and wreck the block beyond repair (had that happen once)

Comment

Working...
                              X