This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future serial killers

During a night of minor league suckage, I had an interesting conversation with a woman who works at the local Big Lots. Big Lots is just down the street from my store.

This particular night, I was getting more easily annoyed than usual with the general public. I was waiting on a customer when one of those crazy random thoughts popped into my head. We could use one of those big, blow-up bobo dolls to demonstrate what happens to people who complain about stupid, petty things beyond our control -- like gas prices, cigarette taxes, or losing the lottery. See it could be worse for you. You could be this bobo doll.

Yes, such bizzarre thoughts are how I keep my sanity when the dumbassed masses are driving me crazy. I could feel the laughter at the back of my throat ready to erupt forward. I was fighting to choke it down. Finally, I lost the battle, but was able to stifle it some. Good thing it was slow at the moment.

She looked at me funny. I shook my head and told her it's just the insanity talking. She started laughing, and told me how they've come to the conclusion at Big Lots that all serial killers started as retail workers who were finally driven insane. I agreed with that assessment, and proceeded to tell her about the bobo doll working in the complaint department. She thought it was hilarious, too.

I've also thought about building a psychotic robot and programming it to obsessively clean all messes after killing those who leave them for us to clean.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Two things.

1. We've all had those thoughts at various times. I cannot tell you how many times I have mentally reached for my imaginary Glock to blow people away. But you folks can relax. I am not all that comfortable around guns. Hell, I have only ever possessed one gun in my life, and that was only because I took it away from a suicidal friend--and wasn't THAT a fun night! And I only had that gun for six months.

2. I have done a lot of reading on serial killers, as some of you know. I actually have four shelves in my bookcases devoted to just that topic. And off the top of my head, I can't think of a single serial killer that worked in retail or the service industry for any length of time. Not. A. Single. One.

Just more proof that we are stronger than many, and that our job is not something unbalanced people can handle.

(To be fair, Ted Bundy did work in a call center, and was apparently very good at it....but that was a rape crisis call center, not an order center. In other words, not retail!)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      To be fair, Ted Bundy did work in a call center, and was apparently very good at it....but that was a rape crisis call center, not an order center.
      I know bad taste but maybe he was looking for tips on " how to get away with it?"
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
      X