Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference I see here is that someone can take a buttload of change to a bank and get it converted into bills, therefore reducing the stress on the cashier, whereas customer service might not be set up to do that kind of conversion on gift cards, so the customer might just be stuck using them one by one.

Yeah, it sucks for the cashier, but sometimes, there just isn't any other way.

Comment

Sucky situation, but no suckage on the customer's part.

We had a similar situation, our company gives gift card rewards in varying amounts. from $10 to $500. We had a total of $650 in cards with the largest being $100. So when we went into Home Depot to buy a stove, we had a stack to pay with. We did find out that since they are already issued, they couldn't be combined. So, the cashier was very helpful in processing them all. Even when the wrong amount posted on one of them and we searched the list and found the card to confirm the full credit for it.

There is just no way around some situations, as long as the customer is willing to go along with you makes the difference.
      I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
      -The Amazing E
      Zonies social group now open!

Comment

As far as buying the cards to get a discount. I have done this a few times around Christmas. Some stores will offer incentives to encourage sales of gift cards, ie buy a $25 card and receive a $5 card. I would then use the cards to make my purchases. I never thought I was being sucky though.

Comment

I don't think using the loopholes is sucky, but why not get larger amounts than $25? if he would have gotten just a $1000 card that would have been fine, or 2 $500, or 4 $250s, but 40 $25s?

the reason I don't feel using that loophole is sucky is because TVs are a high margin item, and if that 5% gets them to buy the tv at your store instead of another, that's a good thing, and the store still makes a $2-300 profit from it

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post

the reason I don't feel using that loophole is sucky is because TVs are a high margin item, and if that 5% gets them to buy the tv at your store instead of another, that's a good thing, and the store still makes a $2-300 profit from it
            Really? Then why did my company take away the senior citizen and employee discounts on them, claiming the margins on electronic items are razor thin and those discounts were bleeding the company dry?

Unless TVs really do have big margins and the suits figured it'd just be easier to take the discount away on all electronics instead of picking and choosing.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

hmmm I could be wrong, but I've seen TVs marked way down in the holiday season, it wouldn't make sense to sell TVs at a loss. selling candy at a loss, or socks, or something cheap like that to get people in the store is one thing, but most people who buy TVs leave with little or nothing else so I'm assuming they still make decent profit to be taking $100 off of a $600 TV, your last comment is probably right

2 more possibilities are that your CEO can't get good prices(it's obvious he cant get the same one as wal mart based on sheer quantity, so that will cut margins), or that corporate lied to you about the reason or a combination of the 3

Comment

Quoth jam704 View Post
                In California gift cards and certificates are not suppose to expire. But, it doesn't stop them from expiring at whatever rate it is that company has set forth in the terms.
                In California, gift cards and certificates are the same as cash for the store in question and they cannot charge any service fee or set any expiration date.

If you don't think you'll be redeeming one for merchandise in the near future, then just take it in and get the cash back. The store is legally required to do so. I do that with Schlockbuster cards people give me because I don't actually shop there.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Around here, most gift cards have an expiration date 1 year after purchase, and I'm pretty sure most shops who will take them have a limited number of cards per transaction policy, probably because they're concerned about a guy with 40 cards would harm the customer experience of those behind him in the line.
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Maybe it's just our simple-as-hell gift cards, but I don't see any suck to this at all.
                    People use fistfulls of gift cards at my work all the time and to be honest I kind of prefer it.
                    They're faster than any other form of payment.

Comment

i use to sell a service where you could purchase a certain ammount on a gift card, up to so many at a discount
                      it was like 20-25 5-50 dollar gift card to verious different places, and get 5% back

Comment

Considering that most chains and stores no longer have layaway and point folks towards those gift cards (ie buy one a week until you've got enough to cover your purchase), that may be what has occurred here.
                        Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

Comment

Working...
                        X