This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Waterbed Deliveries

I think this is the right forum for this post, but if it's better suited elsewhere, feel free to move it...

I recently (3 weeks ago) moved in with my boyfriend. Things are great! Except he has a really tiny bed. It's a "super single" which basically means it's a bit bigger than a single and a bit smaller than a double. We can sleep fairly comfortably in it, but there's no room to roll around, and it's a free-flowing waterbed, so when one of us does try to roll over, we generally wake the other up. Plus, the cats can't sleep next to us, so they tend to sleep on top of us.

Anyway, I told my boyfriend that one of the first things we had to do if I was going to move in with him was get a new bed. A queen sized, at least. We both have a good amount of money saved up, so there was no reason to not get a really nice, high quality bed that would last us years (decades, if we're lucky.) So about two weeks ago, we did just that. We walked in to one of the few furniture stores in town that sold waterbeds, and ordered a Queen size. They said it would take 10-14 days for the mattress to get delivered to their store, and then they would call us to set up delivery (we paid extra to have their delivery team deliver and set it up for us.) We also ordered a frame, since obviously we didn't have a queen-sized frame to go with it. All in all, we spent a bit over $1400 on the whole thing.

So, today was the big day! Our new bed came in a few days ago and we decided to have it delivered today (Saturday) since my boyfriend didn't work, and it would give us time to drain our old waterbed, disassemble it, clear out the bedroom, etc. (And BTW, draining the old waterbed was a pain. But that's another story.)

So, the delivery guys come and start setting stuff up...except...

Delivery Guy: You don't have a frame.
    Me: Um, no, we ordered a frame with the bed.
    DG: The frame you ordered is just a metal frame that needs a standard queen-sized wood frame to be installed on.
    Me: Uh...we specifically told the sales guy we needed a frame. Actually, he ASKED us if we had a queen-sized frame that we could use, and we told him no, and he told us he'd order one for us.
    DG: Sorry, we can't set up the bed like this. Maybe you want to call your sales person?
    Me: ... Yeah, I'll do that.

So I call the furniture store and talked to the same guy who helped us order the bed. Turns out he did in fact order the wrong frame and admitted it was his fault, not the delivery guys' fault. And since they have a full load of deliveries today, they won't be able to come back tonight...and they're closed tomorrow...so the soonest they can get it to us would be Monday. He did refund us $20, but it wasn't for inconvenience, it was for the difference in price in the frame.

I'm upset, yeah, but I didn't push the issue. I did very pointedly tell him that we had already disassembled our old bed, and that with the new queen mattress in our room we didn't have room to set the old bed up again, and in the meantime, we had no bed to sleep on over the weekend. He said he apologized for the inconvenience, and I just left it at that. I know people make mistakes...it just really sucks. I kinda wish we could have gotten more than $20 off but it's better than nothing, and I didn't wanna turn into an SC. What would you guys have done?

PS: We do have the box spring and the actually mattress for the new bed, which we did go ahead and fill with water and we're planning on sleeping on it tonight (originally when I talked to the sales guy, we weren't planning on filling it, 'cuz we'd just have to drain it again on Monday so the delivery guys can set up the correct frame underneath it, but we decided to try it out anyway.) So at least we don't have to sleep on the couch/floor for the weekend.

Just be careful, waterbeds has been known to eat people before, when lacking a frame.
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...hreadid=194040

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
      PS: We do have the box spring and the actually mattress for the new bed,
      Box spring? Do they come with box springs now?

I wish I knew you needed a new bed. I've got a king size (had it for over 20 years) and I'm ready for a change. Of course getting it from here to Wisconsin....I don't even want to think about the shipping cost!
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        Box spring? Do they come with box springs now?
        Apparently...there is, at least, something beneath the mattress itself (that came separate from the mattress), and I think I heard the delivery guys call it a box spring.

Quoth Pagan View Post
        I wish I knew you needed a new bed. I've got a king size (had it for over 20 years) and I'm ready for a change. Of course getting it from here to Wisconsin....I don't even want to think about the shipping cost!
        Ooooh...I actually don't live in Wisconsin anymore, I moved to Texas (to move in with the aforementioned boyfriend.) I'm not sure that a king would fit in our current bedroom without seriously rearranging the furniture anyway, although it would be nice if we had a bed that size. But the one we got is really nice, anyway. Thanks for the offer!

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
          Just be careful, waterbeds has been known to eat people before, when lacking a frame.
          http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...hreadid=194040
          I think the moral of THAT story was "Don't have rough sex in a waterbed. The waterbed doesn't like it."

(why yes, my mind is in the gutter, why do you ask? )
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
            I think the moral of THAT story was "Don't have rough sex in a waterbed. The waterbed doesn't like it."

(why yes, my mind is in the gutter, why do you ask? )
            If it's a free-flowing waterbed, sex of any kind is almost impossible. Why yes, yes I am talking from experience! On my boyfriend's old bed, we quite literally ended up on the floor.

Comment

heh right now i'm doing the cheap thing. i have a full size air mattress. i figure... $50 instead of over what, 200-300 or more for a regular bed.

Comment

Apparently...there is, at least, something beneath the mattress itself (that came separate from the mattress), and I think I heard the delivery guys call it a box spring.
                Huh. Mine doesn't have that. I've got the pedestal, the frame, the headboard, and the bladder. There's a liner that goes under the bladder, but it can't be called a "box spring" by any stretch of the imagination.

I moved to Texas (to move in with the aforementioned boyfriend.) I'm not sure that a king would fit in our current bedroom without seriously rearranging the furniture anyway, although it would be nice if we had a bed that size. But the one we got is really nice, anyway. Thanks for the offer!
                Well, that is closer, right next door. Glad you got a nice bed though. Nothing worse than sleeping in an uncomfortable bed, no matter the type.

Comment

You're certainly closer, but shipping a waterbed even from one end of Texas to the other is so expensive you might as well just buy a new bed. Ask me how I know

Anyway! Welcome to Texas!

Comment

Many years ago, while living in Nevada, I had a super single waterbed. I was taking a nap on it when a 5.0 earthquake hit, with an epicenter about 30 miles away. It was an interesting sensation to wake up to.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Moggie View Post
                      Anyway! Welcome to Texas!
                      Whaddya mean "Welcome to Texas"? Last time I checked, Albuquerque was still smack in the (almost) middle of New Mexico*! Here I thought you were a nice girl and you insult me like that?

*Well, there is that one bunch of idiots that keeps trying to claim that Texas actually extends to the Rio Grande. And the ones that keep trying to steal our water.

Comment

My fiance had a favorite summer time toy when he was a kid. He called it The Blob. His dad would haul it out to the back yard, fill it with water and let the kids jump all over it. He told me about this when we first started dating, calling it a "huge water pillow" and my first thought was "waterbed mattress" but no, it couldn't possibly be a waterbed mattress. It was amorphous and blob-like. So last June when we're in the Cape visiting with his Dad, he asks what the Blob was. A queen sized free flowing waterbed mattress. I just sipped my Mike's and smiled.

Ok, on another note, I grew up with a super single, going from the crib to a water bed, and it is infact, very possible to have sex on a water bed. It's easier on smaller ones because then you can root your feet against the frame... I'm gonna shut up now. :-D

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                          Ok, on another note, I grew up with a super single, going from the crib to a water bed, and it is infact, very possible to have sex on a water bed. It's easier on smaller ones because then you can root your feet against the frame... I'm gonna shut up now. :-D
                          We never thought of that! Will have to try it now. Thanks!

Comment

i've not tried sex on a waterbed...but now i kinda want to...what about having it deflated so that you can hands-and-knees on the bottom if you're careful?

Comment

Ooooh...I actually don't live in Wisconsin anymore, I moved to Texas (to move in with the aforementioned boyfriend.)
                              That part is why I said "Welcome to Texas!" Of course, if you're not in Texas feel free to come on over. We can argue BBQ and eat things that are high in cheese content. Bring green hatch chiles!

Comment

Working...
                              X