This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My crazy job; warning language

My husband and I work as porters cleaning parking garages. We both work for the same employer at the same location of parking garages. We both work the morning shift.

He is assigned to one garage. I am assigned to 2 garages plus a parking lot that is located above one of the garages. The garages I am assigned to are underground parking.

The location we work at has been short-staffed for a while. Currently there are no new employees working at our location.

My husband was asked by one of the managers who works at our location to learn how to use the intercom system in one of the offices to answer calls from customers needing help at the pay machine(s). This was a while ago. He agreed to do this. There were 2 employees working in that office until one was let go. One worked the first shift. The other worked the second shift. This was a while ago. He was asked to work the intercom in the mornings Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. until a replacement was found. At 9 a.m. the first shift employee arrives at work. He is also expected to complete all of his duties regarding cleaning the garage.

The garage he cleans needs 2 people in the morning since there are over 1000 parking spaces in that garages, but no-one has been hired to help clean. There is a checklist of duties that must be completed. Some are daily, some are every other day and some are once a week. My employer as well as the manager over that garage expect everything to be done in addition to his working the intercom for 2 hours Monday through Friday without any over-time.

When that does not happen, the manager over the garage has a meeting with the immediate supervisor my husband, I and 2 other co-workers report to. That manager has been upset to the point that he "rides our supervisors ass".

Our immediate supervisor had a meeting in the break-room with his staff last Wednesday. The purpose of the meeting was for him to dump what the manager(s) tell him when they are pissed at him as well as his staff onto us. Since those manager(s) rode his ass, he told us that it is only fair for him to ride our ass. The impression I got from him was that we were his trashcan for him to dump his trash in. He told me that he was at one of my garages yesterday, but he did not see me. His response was that I was not at my assigned post. I told him that I was at the other garage when he arrived, but he told me that he had his doubts regarding what I told him even though I told him what I was doing, which is one of the duties on the checklist.

I really did not want to be in the meeting when he told all of us that it is only fair that he rides our ass.

I could use some good advice regarding how to deal with this mess at work.

Sounds like they are asking too much of too few people. You CANNOT be in two places at one time, do two things in different places at the same time and do too much with too little time.

Management needs to get a grip on reality and either hire more people or stop expecting the impossible...

Comment

Unfortunately that's how every company is running these days. At least mine is trying to hire people, but I guess our seasonal hours don't work with the hours of their regular jobs.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We hired somebody to be a cashier/front-end supervisor; she quit after a week.

Then we hired somebody for softlines; they called and said "I don't think I can handle the job" and quit before their first shift.

The holidays are going to be so much fun.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I strongly recommend that you and your husband look for new jobs. While shit generally does tend to roll downhill, it's also a pile of crap that the supervisor isn't pushing back for the sake of the employees under him. And for him to treat his remaining staff like garbage is not a sign of a good supervisor, or anybody in management for that matter.

It takes a special sort of person to fight on behalf of their employees...too bad most businesses seem to hate those types of managers

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
            I could use some good advice regarding how to deal with this mess at work.
            Save yourself! Get out before it harms your physical or mental health. This is beyond toxic, IMO.

!!!
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              Save yourself! Get out before it harms your physical or mental health. This is beyond toxic, IMO.

!!!
              I am on vacation beginning this Monday for 5 days. I plan on looking for a better job.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                I am on vacation beginning this Monday for 5 days. I plan on looking for a better job.
                It would be terribly hypocritical of me to suggest finding new employment, since I can't seem to get away from my current place, but from all your stories that place is messed up. There is unreasonable, then there is UNREASONABLE. At least at my place, I know for a fact that my bosses boss is has just plain stupid expectations, yet our SM does not treat us badly because of it. She lets us know what corporate is telling her, but doesn't use the same phrasing. She doesn't say "this has to be done, and it is unacceptable to allow otherwise," which is how upper management approaches it. She says "this is what the company wants, and we'll do our best with what we have."

He's told you that he will take out his anger on you, and that he feels it is justified. You've also been told that you aren't doing your job, and called a liar. Also, could you possibly expand on your comment about your husband not getting paid overtime for the intercom time? It sounds like he's being given extra work, not getting paid extra, and then getting yelled at? Nope, I couldn't deal with it.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post

He's told you that he will take out his anger on you, and that he feels it is justified. You've also been told that you aren't doing your job, and called a liar. Also, could you possibly expand on your comment about your husband not getting paid overtime for the intercom time? It sounds like he's being given extra work, not getting paid extra, and then getting yelled at? Nope, I couldn't deal with it.
                  Our employer will not pay over-time unless it is approved by the Senior Manager over the entire operation.

Yes, my husband is expected to work the intercom while getting the salary of a porter. Office staff make more than porters where my husband and I work, yet my husband is not compensated for his working the intercom from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Monday through Friday.

He is expected to get all of his work done, including working the intercom, in his 8 hour shift.

Comment

Unless he's on Salary, if you're in the US, uncompensated work is illegal. If he is on Salary, ....yeah. Not much you can do. Seconding the idea of looking for new jobs -- for both of you -- before this place drives you nuts. The "Shit rolling downhill" method was also par for the course back at "GameStore."
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Small update

I found out from my husband that soon he will not be working the intercom from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Monday through Friday. My employer hired someone to work the second shift in the office. The new employee accepted the job. She will be working the intercom.

He will be on vacation the first week of November. So he will be job hunting.

I will also be on vacation the third week of November. So I will also be job hunting.

Comment

Working...
                      X