This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving has no theme music.

I remember a TV commercial years ago (I no longer recall what for) that had a series of scenes illustrating the various holidays, complete with music. Except for Thanksgiving, which had an added caption: "Thanksgiving has no song".
    That isn't true, of course: "Over the River and Through the Wood" is actually a Thanksgiving song, among others. Of course, that is easy to forget, considering how hard it is to sing with your mouth full.
    It occurs to me that part of the increasing marginalization of Thanksgiving as anything more than a shopping holiday is that no one has figured out a Muzak playlist for Thanksgiving, so marketroids feel compelled to jump from spooky Halloween music straight to Christmas carols. And the rest of the seasonal push follows.
    And that is just depressing.

Alice's Restaurant is considered a Thanksgiving song, at least by the radio stations. Though I don't think you'll be hearing it on any store's Muzak system any time soon...
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I thought Jingle Bells was originally conceived as a Thanksgiving song.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

On a turkey farm,
        With a hatchet in my hand...

Oh, wait...never mind.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

"We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing", a poem set to a Shaker tune is also associated with Thanksgiving.

Comment

I'm just here to say, I was up late last night when this thread was first posted. I was talking to a friend not even ten minutes earlier and he asked me out of nowhere, "Why isn't there Thanksgiving music?" I got on here, saw the thread title, and we had a good laugh.

I wonder when someone's going to decide they need to put out a Thanksgiving CD to match their Christmas CD that nobody buys.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Alice's Restaurant is considered a Thanksgiving song, at least by the radio stations. Though I don't think you'll be hearing it on any store's Muzak system any time soon...
              I burn a CD of the one of the several versions that he has done over the years and play it on the way to my sisters house on T-Day. Always a good laugh to start the day that day.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

There's a CD by Priscilla Herdman, Anne Hills and Cindy Mangsen called "At the Turning of the Year" (which is an incredibly beautiful song, too, by the way) and it has a song called "Uncle Dave's Grace". A very funny song about a guy "who reads the Progressive, and it makes him depressed." He proceeds to say grace in a way guaranteed to make everyone guilty about everything. If you can find a place to listed to it online, do it, it's pretty funny.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My thanksgiving music is happy birthday. My birthday us Nov 24th.

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                    My thanksgiving music is happy birthday. My birthday us Nov 24th.
                    Well happy early birthday! On an unrelated note, I always smile with I see your avatar... I once got to say that I'm team Edward, but not the one people are actually referencing.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      I once got to say that I'm team Edward, but not the one people are actually referencing.
                      Would it be this Team Edward?
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Would it be this Team Edward?
                        Sunshine's avatar is referencing the Anita Blake series, which has many similarities on the surface to Twilight. Though AB came out years before and is loads better. There's a human character named Edward who's really normal looking, but is a scary bounty hunter who specializes in hunting supernaturals. I realize it sounds dorky. But he's probably my favorite character. I so wish Hamilton had kept her books like the first few. *sigh*

Comment

Sunshine's avatar is referencing the Anita Blake series, which has many similarities on the surface to Twilight.
                          That's one series I haven't read. What's the title of the first book?
                          Though AB came out years before and is loads better.
                          It would have to be...! Seriously, Twilight was just...ugh.
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

Guilty Pleasures
                            Meeeeoooow.....
                            Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
                              Guilty Pleasures
                              This. It's not a YA series like Twilight was It's really, really, not. There's about... 10 solid books before it fizzled. For me, of course that's subjective.

Just for fun I did a search, and came up with a couple songs I hadn't heard before. Bing Crosby, "I've Got Plenty to Be Thankful For" is sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X