This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post
    i wasn't questioning wal mart having these policies, i was questioning the laws, the laws don't care about insurance
    The laws don't care about insurance? Then why is it the law that businesses have to have so many different types of insurance? And if a company violates their insurance, thereby losing it, it's more expensive to get a replacement, as they're proven to be a risk.
    there is no certification required to use the cart machine and compactor, and i'm not sure about the baler, I've trained people on the cart machine before
    I didn't say you needed certification, I was (admittedly unclearly) drawing a parallel between the fact that you can't get a CDL when you're 16 for certain reasons, and similar reasons are likely why you're unable to drive the cart machine under 16, or whatever age was set. Again, the name of the game is "liability." Legally, depending on area, persons under 18 or under 16 can't be held in binding contracts, and the parents are held accountable for certain actions, which muddies certain situations. It's simply easier for corporate and the lawyers to say "We don't want to deal with that. Ever. Sorry, kid, you can't do these things." It's their business, and as long as they're within the law, they can set whatever policies they want, regardless of how an individual feels about it.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      The laws don't care about insurance? Then why is it the law that businesses have to have so many different types of insurance? And if a company violates their insurance, thereby losing it, it's more expensive to get a replacement, as they're proven to be a risk.

I didn't say you needed certification, I was (admittedly unclearly) drawing a parallel between the fact that you can't get a CDL when you're 16 for certain reasons, and similar reasons are likely why you're unable to drive the cart machine under 16, or whatever age was set. Again, the name of the game is "liability." Legally, depending on area, persons under 18 or under 16 can't be held in binding contracts, and the parents are held accountable for certain actions, which muddies certain situations. It's simply easier for corporate and the lawyers to say "We don't want to deal with that. Ever. Sorry, kid, you can't do these things." It's their business, and as long as they're within the law, they can set whatever policies they want, regardless of how an individual feels about it.
      i don't think i'm being very clear either

it is a violation of federal law for anyone under the age of 18 to operate power driven machinery. they have a sign over the timeclock that has the statute number on it. if it was wal mart's policy, they would probably allow us to load the compactor, even if they didn't let us smash it, that doesn't matter, but if it was a company policy, to save on liability, i wouldn't be as confused, but why the politicians love to screw minors so much is completely beyond me, the part of running the cart machine that requires skill is steering, and that is the job i'm given because i can't operate the machine, and being able to load the compactor and just leave it would make it simpler. there's not much i could do about either, but i'm sick of the government being such a bully. the sad thing is i'm more capable of running the machine(LOTS MORE CAPABLE) than some of the people i've had run it. being a minor sucks

Comment

i don't think i'm being very clear either

it is a violation of federal law for anyone under the age of 18 to operate power driven machinery.
        I guess farmers are the exception to the law. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and you wouldn't have to go far to find a ten year old driving a full grown tractor.

Comment

yes farms are exempt from most child labor laws

http://www.youthrules.dol.gov/

Comment

alaska wal mart's pay a lot better than most districts(minimum is $10.50).
            Holy shit.

it is retail, so it's not great and the pay is low, but it's as good as any retail.
            Are you joking? When I started at my grocery store four years ago, the starting cashier pay was $6.50. Now it's like $7-$7.50 for teens. Hell, I STILL don't make $10.50; how could that, as a minimum, be low?! Is there something about the Alaskan economy that I don't know?

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
              Are you joking? When I started at my grocery store four years ago, the starting cashier pay was $6.50. Now it's like $7-$7.50 for teens. Hell, I STILL don't make $10.50; how could that, as a minimum, be low?! Is there something about the Alaskan economy that I don't know?
              Well, it's all relative. How much does a loaf of bread cost up there? Also, what's the job market like? If there are 10 people available for every job, it's going to be a very different picture than if there are, say, 2 jobs available for every person.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm FROM Alaska, and the cost of living up there is HIGH.

Produce:
                $1.99 / lb for celery
                $1.59 / lb for apples IN SEASON
                $2.99/ lb for apples out of season

Milk:
                $3.49 / gal for milk

Chicken:
                $7.99 /lb for boneless skinless ckn breasts.

Rent:
                Anchorage from 600's up to 1500..depending on rooms.

It's not cheap.

Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                  Holy shit.

actually, i was comparing it to skilled labor such as steel workers and the lot, one of our people greeters told me she was making $20 an hour in another field 15 years ago, but as far as unskilled labor i'm making kick ass money, and i know that, i asked at a local competitor and they start less than $1 over minimum wage to do the same job. granted my store is much busier than theirs, so i would not be doing as many carts, but they don't have the ironically named quickcart either(not that i can use it, but it sure broadens the scope of who they can send out to help me in the event of a call out)

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                    I'm FROM Alaska, and the cost of living up there is HIGH.

Produce:
                    $1.99 / lb for celery
                    $1.59 / lb for apples IN SEASON
                    $2.99/ lb for apples out of season

Milk:
                    $3.49 / gal for milk

Chicken:
                    $7.99 /lb for boneless skinless ckn breasts.

Rent:
                    Anchorage from 600's up to 1500..depending on rooms.

It's not cheap.

Cutenoob
                    most of the state is around 15-30% above national average, you can google it, there are WMs in:
                    anchorage(2)
                    eagle river(anchorage suburb)
                    kodiak
                    ketchikan
                    juneau
                    fairbanks
                    wasilla

to give you an idea of where they are if you care what the cost of living is. another important part of it is:no state taxes. there are local taxes which can vary, but the state just taxes the oil companies senseless

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Well, it's all relative. How much does a loaf of bread cost up there? Also, what's the job market like? If there are 10 people available for every job, it's going to be a very different picture than if there are, say, 2 jobs available for every person.

^-.-^
                      well

my store had flyers up a couple months ago saying we had 200 slots open, so i'm going to say there are lots of jobs in retail

construction is pretty good too, if you don't mind being laid off in the winter. if you do work done on the inside, you don't have that(like my electrician friend), but most do

a loaf of bread at fred meyer (juneau is the only supercenter, and i don't think i'm jeopordizing my customers finding out who i am saying i don't work in that store) is $2.49

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                        Hell, Sam Walton is credited for inventing the concept of "the customer is always right" which should be enough reason for anyone who posts here to never want to set foot in one of his stores ever again!
                        Sam Walton was a great businessman, but he most certainly did not coin, "The customer is always right." It predates Walton by quite a few years.

The exact phrase itself is most often attributed to Harry Gordon Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge’s department store in London in 1909. However, even that is not the true origin of the concept. It was in use in the Marshall Fields chain before Selfridge's ever opened their doors. Furthermore, César Ritz, the celebrated French hotelier, is credited with saying 'Le client n'a jamais tort' - 'The customer is never wrong' in 1908.

Origin of the phrase
                        Why the customer is not always right

Comment

Fascinating read. Thanks for sharing it.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X