This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this because of ten cents??

For the past six years I've worked at a small local custard stand. We've had our share of crazies and wackos. This is one story from this past summer.

I was working register when a mid-40's something woman comes up and orders a child size sundae (it's about one - one and a half scoops of custard with a single topping and a cherry). She says she wants it in a taller cup so that it would fit in the cup holder of her car. Alright, no problem. I ring up the order, give the order to a coworker and make, and announce the price to her...Then this ensues:

Me: me, duh.
    CL: Crazy Lady
    CW: Coworker

Me: That'll be $2.25.
    CL hands over $10.15. I wait patiently, assuming she's trying to find another dime. Apparently not.
    CL: That's it.

A bit confused, but assuming maybe she just needs change, cashes out her change and hands her $7.90.

CLaccepting bills but not coins, looking confused at coins) Why did you give me all this change?
    Me: Because your sundae cost $2.25 and you gave me $10.15.
    CL: No, the sundae's $2.15, it's always been $2.15.
    Me: Umm, no, actually it's $2.25 and has been all year.
    CL: No! I come here all the time and it's always $2.15!
    Me: I'm sorry but this year it's always been $2.25. Maybe you went to another franchise? (There are several branches of this custard stand all over the county.)
    CL: NO! I always come here and it's always been $2.25!

Meanwhile, CW has finished the sundae and handed it out to window to CL. She looks at the sundae is seems almost horrified.

CL: What's that? That's not my sundae! It's too small!
    Me: (turning to CW) You weighed it, right?

Each sundae/cone/dish is weighed prior to putting any toppings on it to ensure that each product is equal.

CW: Yeah, it was 5 ounces.
    Me: (turning back to CL) This is your sundae. It's actually a bit big as child size sundaes are supposed to be 4 ounces and this is 5.
    CL: Well I want you to weight it again!
    Me: It won't really matter because we weigh it before we put the topping on. If we weigh it now, it won't mean anything.
    CL: Weigh it!
    Me: (rolling eyes inwardly, turning to CW) Weigh it.
    CW weighs it, comes back and says: It's 6 ounces.
    Me: (muttering) That means nothing to me. (Back to CL) Ma'am it's correct.
    CL: I want to see him weigh it! Do it again!
    Me: (again rolling eyes) Fine, CW, weigh it.

I step aside to allow her a clear view of a scale where CW places the cup and it weighs out at about 6 ounces. Again, that means nothing to me. She finally seems resigned to the fact that the weight is indeed correct and goes back to the money issue.

CL: Well where does it say that this costs $2.25?
    Me: (gesturing towards large price board above my head) Right up there.
    CL: (leans into window and squints at board) Well I don't see it!
    Me: (still holding the $.90 in change, extends hand to her) So here's your change.
    CL: No! I want to pay my way! I want a dollar! How much do I need to give you to get a dollar?
    Me: A dime.

CL digs through purse, flinging change left and right until she finds a dime and shoves it over to me. I accept it and change it out to a $1 bill.

CL: I still want to see where it says this is $2.25 because I don't believe you!
    Me: OK, step over to this next window then. (steps to "Pick Up Window" and CL shoves it open and immediately sees the price)
    CL: Oh, well the window was blocking it!
    Me: (WTF?!? The see-through window was blocking the price???)
    CL: (glares at me, obviously hoping to get me in trouble) How long have you worked here?

For the most part, high school students work here as a part-time job and the normally stay no longer than two years because they find a better job/internship when they head off to college. I'm an exception though.

Me: (smirking) Six years, ma'am.
    CL: (face drops) Oh. (scurries back to car)

It amazes me that she freaked out over ten friggin' cents! But cracked me up when she asked how long I worked here, obviously hoping that I was a high schooler who had just started a few months prior (as the majority of my coworkers working that night had).

But yeah, that's one of my crazo customers. I've got plenty more where that came from.

First, off,

Wow, that lady is a freak.

I just love the people who insist, repeatedly, that something that hasn't changed for a long time was different just the week before.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The icing on the cake would've been if 10-cent lady jumped over the counter and attacked the OP.

Just like a cop in Milwaukee did some years ago.

Linky goodness

Wow, I can't believe that story was still up...
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I won't have put it passed her...Or many of our other customers!

Comment

Another unsatisfied customer off their meds. It's a worldwide trend.
          Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Most customers are too stupid to realize that prices change. If any of them had actually attended high school, they would have taken economics and understood that.

Things change. Prices go up. Prices go down. But more often than not, up.

And arguing with a cashier over how "It's ALWAYS been $5!" isn't going to help or make your case and you won't get your way.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              I just love the people who insist, repeatedly, that something that hasn't changed for a long time was different just the week before.

^-.-^
              Come to my store. You'll have a BLAST.
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

It my Grocery Store they changed the price of muffins from 0.99 to 1.25 reg. retail. If you scan you card it will take of 0.24 to bring it back down to the original price of 0.99. If the customer doesn't have card we can scan a store card. Too many customers are not smart enough to realize this, despite several 8.5X11 signs plastered over the front of the muffin case. Our policy is the cust. has to ask us to scan the store card, sadly some SC's don't want to save money. And yet it is always our fault for them not telling us to scan a card or inquire as to why the price is higher, before i hit the EFT or CASH TENDER button.

Comment

No crazo, scamo

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
                  For the past six years I've worked at a small local custard stand.
                  You worked there long enough that I am sure there is no mistake on your part.

Insisting it is a lower price, claiming a window is blocking the view, trying to see if you are new ... all signs of someone who probably has scammed a number of new employees who are unsure about prices.

Comment

IPF, I remember when that happened.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      Most customers are too stupid to realize that prices change. If any of them had actually attended high school, they would have taken economics and understood that.

Things change. Prices go up. Prices go down. But more often than not, up.

And arguing with a cashier over how "It's ALWAYS been $5!" isn't going to help or make your case and you won't get your way.
                      I had a doozy today...

"I always get $20 worth (of petrol), but it doesn't take me as far as it used to. Do you think there's something wrong with my car?"
                      Last edited by edible_hat; 10-09-2007, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        "I always get $20 worth (of petrol), but it doesn't take me as far as it used to. Do you think there's something wrong with my car?"
                        Oh, man, that person would've gotten so laughed at.

Just wow.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I told her that $20 doesn't buy as much as it used to, but she should get the car serviced just to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X