This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Difdi View Post
    I've had a couple from them as well. They never actually sent me a summons, but boy do they like to threaten one.

I haven't used it as a signature for some time (way back in the unix shell reading usenet days, in fact), but for this post I'll dredge up my badge of honor:

*** SP2 w/Clam Cluster ***

Actually, the threat makes you an SP4. Congratulations!

As for the actual topic...nah, no one's actually tried to sue me. I did have a student try to get me fired (from a TA position, which I basically can't be fired from) for having the audactity to fail her for cheating...

-K'Z'K (SP5, recipient of revenge picket, real name listed in ScienoSitter)
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong."
    -Edward O. Wilson

Comment

It never happened to me, but I heard about a woman who came in on my day off, and started screeching that she was going to sue the store and the company and every one of us personally and "see us all in rags" or some such nonsense.

All because we didn't carry a certain size of cheap vinyl window blind in stock.

I'm kind of sorry I missed it, actually.
      "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
      "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
      --Dilbert

Comment

I don't think anybody has ever tried to sue my company.

Now, we have had quite a number of people acuse us of theft and of selling defective property.

In one case, a competing seller for an item was claiming we (without naming us) were selling defective property.

In a current case the manufacturer of an item we're selling (they had hired an outside shop to help with manufacturing and the outside party put their name on it to indicate they did the manufacturing, and the company doesn't like someone else's name on their item) is claiming that the units we have are defective, which they are not. We got them as abandoned freight.

We had another company actually tell his local police that we had stolen an item we were attempting to sell back to him. A lost freight issue. Our local sherriff's came over and acted like complete assholes, and one of them actually equated buying lost freight from customs with theft. Fucktard.

Then there's the military. They've raided us (and got pwned when we did a mediation. their mediator was thoroughly disgusted by their antics), accused us of theft (lost freight, yet again), attempted to actually steal items back from us, and in one case actually siezed an item that shouldn't have ever been out of their possession in the first place. They're just damn lucky that we're the people who bought the thing. We bought it from a company that sold it through eBay!

Oh, and one dude kept threatening to sue us over a piece of advertising art we were using to sell one of the itms we had because he was the original photographer. Yeah, that didn't go anywhere, since we were using a picture of the actual ad banner, which we had bought with the product.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The company I currently work for gets these threats daily... from people who had their items removed from the site... because they were ILLEGAL COPIES...

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Evil Shoe Lady (some of you know her as the Wicked Witch of West Nine) to sue me for stealing her non-existent shoes.

And now, this was a gem from this past Thursday/Friday night. I'm waiting for Mrs. Irritating to Sue me, my co-workers and the company. Because the housekeepers didn't clean her room. *gasp!*

Here's how it was; lady was in town for two nights. The first morning after check in, the house keepers ask if she wants her room serviced. lady says no, give her a few minutes. Housekeepers come back after about 20-30 minutes and ask again. Lady says no and leaves. Housekeepers mark this as a "Do Not Clean" room and go about their jobs.
            Mrs. Irritating comes back around 9pm (this is kinda important) and disappears into her room. She calls the front Desk (I.E. ME!) and tells me the house keepers didn't clean her room (at the time, I didn't knwo about the No Clean). I apologize. She demands a manager. I tell her (my words exactly!) "Ma'am, it's 9:30 at night so he isn't here."
            "Well, now I'm Irritated." She says she wants ME to deliver some clean towels.
            "I'm sorry Ma'am, I'm not supposed to really leave the lobby."
            "Now I'm even more irritated."
            She comes down about an Hour later and tells me that she knew what time it was and she didn't appreciate me telling her so. WTF? So I again apologize and give her her towels.
            She says she wants to talk to the manager in the morning and get her room comped (for free) because no one cleaned her room.
            I smiled sweetly. "I'll be sure to let him know."
            I come in the next afternoon to get this update; Mrs Irritating wants her ENTIRE STAY (109. a night, plus 17% taxes) for free because no one cleaned her room, she's paying a lot of money and expects a clean room, blah, blah, blah. Mrs. M goes to find out what happened with House keeping. Gets told lady refused housekeeping several times.
            Mrs. M informs Mrs. Irritating of this and she gets mad. Says she wants to file a formal complaint and will have Mrs. M's HEAD, the head of Housekeepings HEAD, the Managers HEAD and MY HEAD because I was rude and snippy to her. She was going to take things to the OWNER!

Tough luck, Mrs Irritating. The Manager IS the OWNER and you just threatened him with physical violence. Take it up with the company lawyer.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              Mrs. Irritating comes back around 9pm (this is kinda important) and disappears into her room. She calls the front Desk (I.E. ME!) and tells me the house keepers didn't clean her room (at the time, I didn't knwo about the No Clean). I apologize. She demands a manager. I tell her (my words exactly!) "Ma'am, it's 9:30 at night so he isn't here."
              ok, first not to call you out directly (because I don't know if you are guilty of doing this, I'm saying this more as a you reminded me of a cursing out coworkers theme I've been having with our hotel employees for a while now)... but if someone calls in and asks for the manager on duty and you are the only employee there... then by default you are the manager on duty for the sake of the call... please don't transfer me to the central reservations agent sitting next to me, he can't do what I need any more than I can, that's why I'm calling....

back on topic, have you yet had someone threaten to sue you because you refused to waive a cancellation fee when they cancel after your hotel's deadline? scarily I've never gotten that... I feel kinda sad, i'm the only employee that hasn't.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                ok, first not to call you out directly (because I don't know if you are guilty of doing this, I'm saying this more as a you reminded me of a cursing out coworkers theme I've been having with our hotel employees for a while now)... but if someone calls in and asks for the manager on duty and you are the only employee there... then by default you are the manager on duty for the sake of the call...
                Oh, please call, please call!

My boss said we aren't allowed to tell the guests that we're the managers or even the acting managers. If only I had the power of manager! Bwahahahaha!

Oddly, I never got the "I'll sue you if you don't waive this fee!" thing either. I know people who have, but unless it's a dire emergency (Must include either blood, the world ending or the plane is very very late to the point it's been cancelled) then I don't waive fees.
                Last edited by Evil Queen; 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

From when I worked at that sucky job, the little long distance from company.

This happened a lot so Ill just some them all up together.

People would get their long distance bill, call us up screaming/swearing/threatening etc about a huge bill, most were around $100.00 others got a high as $700.00

As always for these calls we look thru the numbers and usually see lots of calls made to foreign countries and we in the cust serve dept knew what the calls were for. We have to call a couple just to check. I'm sure you guessed it, Phone Sex.

Most people would calm down once we told them what the calls were for, other would deny making them. Once they deny it we ask if they had any kids, because those calls were usually 90% made by their own kids.

The best/worst one I ever had was for a bill for about $500. Woman was screaming, swearing etc, threated to sue the company, owners, board of dir, my, my dept everyone.
                  While I left her screaming I checked the numbers and the calls were all for a video game hotline.
                  So I suffered through about 30 mins of rudeness, threats and I get to tell her what the calls were for, first thing out her of mouth(and screamed at the top of her lungs) was "GDI, Mike come in here right now, I'm going to kill you" "what the f*, etc etc, she took one breath, said sorry to me, and as she was hanging up I felt a pain in my heart for that little boy.

At my workers comp job I was threated every day with lawsuits, most were something like this.

SC-"i hurt my back"
                  Me- see a dr, get note from dr saying you cant work
                  week later
                  SC- "my back hurts I cant walk, cant work.
                  ME-did you see a dr?
                  SC-no, it hurts to much
                  me- if you wont go to dr then i cant authorize you to stay at home and miss work
                  SC-I sue you all, you cant make me go to work
                  me- no dr note, yes i can. Just freaken go to the dr, I dont care if you get paid wc and stay at home. I just need the form in the file from your dr.
                  SC-im calling my lawyer
                  Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Back when I worked at Lowe's, there was a lawsuit pending that actually made it to court. I forget what happened, but it ended up being thrown out of court when evidence came out what the customer had actually done.

The Story: As I have pieced together.

The customer had come into the store to purchase a pretty good bit of plywood. Now these carts aren't the kind where the lumber is stood on edge, but rather it kinda holds it flat. Apparently the customer, after getting three or four sheets of plywood (and a few other things) refused help loading it and took it out himself.

Now here's where it gets curious.

The suit was apparently about the cart itself. The man rolled it up behind his truck, proceeded to unload it, and then got in the truck leaving the cart behind it (the truck.) Now he must have forgotten it was back there, because he placed the truck in reverse and backed OVER the plywood cart. Ending up with a couple thousand dollars in damage to the truck.

It never ceased to amaze me that not only did he sue, but he claimed it was the store's fault. The case however was thrown out when the store produced video evidence that the man had done it himself.
                    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Go for it, and see what doesn't happen!

I sold bedding for about four years. One (married) woman called after her mattress and box spring set was delivered, complaining that the stitching was loose on part of the mattress. No problem, this happens sometimes, the machines at the manufacturer's factories mess up occasionally, and we would just do a like-for-like exchange asap.

Except that this woman kept calling. We'd exchange the mattress, and she'd claim the same problem. Our delivery drivers inspected the mattress and there was nothing wrong with it. They also told me she was flirting with them - and her husband was in the next room! I have to believe he was totally spineless, because next thing I knew, she dragged him into the store and he went right along with her BS. When I refused to do any further exchanges, she exclaimed, "I'll get a lawyer!" To which I replied, "Go right ahead. I hate lawyers; I think they're soulless, greedy yuppie scum! [my apologies if you're reading this and are an Atypical attorney] So threatening me with one is the quickest way to get me to do absolutely nothing!"

They huffed off and we never heard from them again.

I have to wonder if she tried this with every company whose delivery guys wouldn't sleep with her.
                      "Sir, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick one hundred percent of your ass!" - "Brad Hamilton", Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Comment

Funny Lawsuite

While I have been threaten with suites all the time, nothing came of them once I pointed out that you need to pay in real money to file one. The only guy I thought was serious had me tell him that "If you threaten wit a lawsuite just because because I am telling you that you have the wrong settings on the computer, then I am walking." Which I did, I refuse to ever contact him again and heard nothing either.

But what was funny was an Internet/Usenet discussion where one poster pointed out that another poster was trying to scam people out of their money (stock market advice you pay for.), the scammer claimed *NEVER* to make a wrong call on the stock market. The poster who knew better pointed out where the scammer had been wrong in the past, and also asked the simple question.

"If you are NEVER wrong, why do you need other people's money?".

The scammer threaten to sue, then realized he had no idea who the poster, he then was demanded his real name and address. Of-course that person refused and posted LOL, pointing out that the suer has to do the legal paper work. For the next couple of days this scammer posted all sorts of message demanding the poster identify himself, all for not!

So next time someone demands your name so they can sue, smile and say nothing.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                          So next time someone demands your name so they can sue, smile and say nothing.
                          Or you can say you're name is Robin Steele
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                            Or Helen Waite. So that the next time they have a problem, they know they can go to Helen Waite.
                            "Sir, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick one hundred percent of your ass!" - "Brad Hamilton", Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                              Quoth Fandangoose View Post
                              Or Helen Waite. So that the next time they have a problem, they know they can go to Helen Waite.
                              I feel dumb. It took me a while to get the jokes here. Now that I've got them, they're great!

Comment

I used to do relief reception at a law firm that I worked for. I can't remember the amount of times that someone would call to talk to the corporate lawyer on the floor, and when he was not available would tell us why he was suing such and such a company, most of the time I would tell them that the corp lawyer charges $280AU for a consult and even more per hour they work on the case, that usually got rid of them fast. I usually bumped the price higher if it was something ridiculously stupid as well.
                                Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Working...
                                X