X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock and sofa shenanigans

It's that time again....

I've got new socks on!

While coming down a main aisle with somebody's furniture carryout, I encountered a group of giggling high-school aged girls.

As I passed them, one of them said to me for no particular reason "I've got new socks on!"

The girl was rolling rolled-up sweatpants which showed her socks peeking out of her shoes, so I dunno, I guess they were new and she felt some need to show them off.

Congratulations, your recent sock purchase has helped to keep the hosiery industry chugging right along, but why did you have to pick me, of all people, to tell about this.

Selective reading comprehension

Answered a page for the seasonal department. A customer wanted a price check on a chair cushion, which was ringing up at $20.99 and she thought she should get an additional 40% off.

I came up to the register, scanned the cushion, and went back to the seasonal department to investigate. There I found the regular price of the cushion was $34.99, and 40% off of that is evidently $20.99. The sales sign even had the regular prices listed along with the sale prices.

I called the cashier back to explain the price was correct. This obviously was the wrong answer, as the customer continued to insist she should get 40% off of $20.99--until I came back to the register with the sign in my hand to show her.

Total mental ruination is a beautiful thing to behold sometimes.

Sick of sofas

Recently, we began carrying a line of folding sofas. They can fold into beds, and one can fold into kind of a chaise lounge. Another one has cushions that lift up to provide extra storage space.

For some reason, people look at these things and go "ZOMG COUCH MUST BUY" because we can't keep them in stock. When they come in, we can't even sell them to the general public because there are so many rainchecks for them.

They are pretty cheaply made and very cheaply packaged. They come in thin, flimsy cardboard boxes sealed by a few random pieces of packing tape and straps that break or slide off the box when you grab them. They are also really really bulky and thus a pain in the ass to carry out.

Today I got called to carry one out for a raincheck. Here is what transpired:
    • Punch the number into my scanner and find that the sofa is located such that I have to turn the box and drag it sideways down a narrow aisle
    • Drag sofa out of location. Have it tip several times and nearly pin me between itself and the other furniture down the aisle
    • Finally wrestle sofa over to flatbed cart. Box has been mangled somewhat.
    • Try to position sofa on cart.
    • Get sofa and cart and try to push to front doors.
    • Reposition displays of merchandise located down aisle so I can push cart through
    • Get ignored and given cat-butt faces by shoppers I asked to move with a polite "Excuse me".
    • Bring sofa out to loading area, where I find the customer has brought his SUV, along with his three kids.
    • Cram sofa into back of SUV
    • Customer advises me "I better not have to come back", referring to partially torn box.
    • Return to backroom
    • Guess who comes back 45 minutes later?
    • If you guessed customer with sofa, DING DING DING!
    • Bring flatbed cart outside.
    • Find customer has returned sofa because (The horror) it is dirty. Guess he never heard of upholstery cleaner.
    • Philosophical discussion ensues between customer and myself, in which customer demands the other sofa of that kind we have in stock, but it is being held on raincheck for another customer.
    • Drag sofa back into store. Customer advises us that in the future we should open all furniture items before presenting them to customers, so that they can ensure nothing is damaged. Fine, whatever.

Bear in mind that not once did the customer ask me to open the box so he could inspect the sofa before I loaded it up for him. I am not particularly fond of customers who ask me to do this because the equate a small tear in a box with inevitable damage, but I will do it for them anyway to make them feel better. All he did was grumble at me after I loaded up his sofa.
    • Drag sofa back to backroom, again having to dodge customers and merchandise displays.
    • Beat head vigorously against cinder-block wall.
    • Trudge through rest of day
    • Make this post on CS.com describing my day
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I dunno about you, but I really hate your job. If only the store would let you take pictures of the SCs so you could then have some hoo-doo-voo-doo fun later.

Edit: W00t! First Irv Post!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

"I've got new socks on!"

Be careful. You don't want to get into trouble having sox with a teen.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

You just had to go there, didn't you Sheldon?
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
          "I've got new socks on!"

Be careful. You don't want to get into trouble having sox with a teen.
          Yeah yeah. I know. 15 gets you 20 and all that.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            Just trying to help. Teens having sox aren't satisfied unless you've got at least a foot.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              Oh, no, Sheldon wouldn't go there. It was a girl.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                As I passed them, one of them said to me for no particular reason "I've got new socks on!"
                Erm, misguided attempt at flirtation?
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                  no no he wouldn't... can i go there?

Comment

It's that time again....

I've got new socks on!

While coming down a main aisle with somebody's furniture carryout, I encountered a group of giggling high-school aged girls.

As I passed them, one of them said to me for no particular reason "I've got new socks on!"[/LIST]

Awww! Yeah, she thinks you're cute!! (Remembering awkward days of youth when I didn't know how to flirt with boys)
                    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                      Hey! I like girls! Who else can I talk about boys with?! haha

Comment

"I've got new socks on!"
                        I've done that.

Not in WI, though.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          I've done that.

Not in WI, though.
                          I've done that. In WI.

I was even wearing sandals. All the better to show off my new socks.

It's my moments of lameness that help keep me humble.

Comment

They are pretty cheaply made and very cheaply packaged. They come in thin, flimsy cardboard boxes sealed by a few random pieces of packing tape and straps that break or slide off the box when you grab them. They are also really really bulky and thus a pain in the ass to carry out.

Bear in mind that not once did the customer ask me to open the box so he could inspect the sofa before I loaded it up for him. I am not particularly fond of customers who ask me to do this because the equate a small tear in a box with inevitable damage, but I will do it for them anyway to make them feel better. All he did was grumble at me after I loaded up his sofa.
                            I feel for you Irv, I truly do. I have to deal with similar asshattery on a regular basis. Quite often I've taken an item which I'm positive is fine, but has opened at one end of the box in the process of being schlepped to the customer pick-up point, only to have the customer demand a replacement.

Occasionally in these situations (only for the suckiest, most condescending and impolite customers) I'll go and get them a new item, and play merry hell with it in the warehouse, kicking it all the way to pick-up, but carefully, oh so carefully, so as not to obviously damage the box in any way

Next time trust me when I say it's not damaged
                            ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                              I've done that. In WI.
                              I would, but most of the insane socks I buy go to my sisters, sisters-in-law and nieces.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X