Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slang and catch phrases -- what are yours?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few which come to mind:

"Monkey's Uncle" Generic expletive. Example: "Son of a monkey's uncle!!!"
    "Expletive!" or "Expletive Deleted!" See above.
    "Pissss!!!" See above.
    "Shit damn fuck!" or "Fuck shit dammit!" Not-so-generic expletive.
    "Martha Faulkner!" Used in place of a certain, umm, Oedipal reference.
    "Metric Fuckton" as opposed to a Standard or Imperial Fuckton.
    "Junkmobile" Used to refer to my primary mode of transportation, due to the amount of stuff I tend to haul. Currently up to Junkmobile Mark IV.
    "So smart, he's stupid!" Smart enough to get oneself into a predicament, but not quite smart enough to get themself out. Usually used to refer to my brother's cat.
    "Dumber than a bag of stupid!" Used to denote extreme stupidity.

More to come as I think of them.
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Comment

Lately, in order to keep the language clean in front of Lil Zel, we have tended to use the term "Oh coconuts!" (from a Disney cartoon for preschoolers) instead of "oh shit" or similar.

Much an eyebrow was raised today during a bowling tournament wherein Mr Zel loudly yelled "COCONUTS!!!!" once he flubbed a shot
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

^That reminds me how sometimes I yell "FINLAND!" or "son of a basket weaver!" when upset.

I also randomly quote The Princess Bride and Harry Potter apropos of nothing.

Have fun storming the castle!
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
          "Hello, my name is auntiem I don't belive we've met..."
          I use about the same thing when one of my friends or coworkers asks something that I consider a dumb question, and the response indicates my opinion of their question.

For example:

"Are you having a beer after work?"
          "Can I buy you a beer?"
          "Are you going to be watching the Super Bowl?"

"Hi, I'm Jester...have we met?"

I think I've even used that on my Mom on some occasions.

Quoth Eisa View Post
          I also randomly quote The Princess Bride and Harry Potter apropos of nothing.
          "All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die," says the man next to me out of nowhere.

Quoth Eisa View Post
          Have fun storming the castle!
          My buddy Popcorn says this a lot, usually when he's leaving, or when someone else is leaving...and he always says it in a dry, almost derisive tone. "Yeah buddy...have fun storming the castle, okay?" Yeah. That way.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Balls - Said in a low drawn out way. Usually when something failed or didn't go how I wanted.

"Deploy Emergency pants!" - either when mimicking what is happening on the wargaming table/xbox or after a particularly nasty sword blow is dodged.

"Waitnodammitstoparghwhodidcrap!" - Often varied. Usually when all hell breaks loose in a xbox session with friends. Apparently I say this in a very entertainly way.

Any time a friend mutters "God" "Oh God" "Jesus" etc, one of us will usually respond with "Yes?"

"Bollocks" - See Balls.

The others aren't coming to mind right now. That and the way we twist some phrases is not repeatable in polite company. So I will repeat them now.....

(Just kidding)
            "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
            Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Oooo. ApolloSZ reminded me of another one.
              My boyfriend started this one (as far as I know) and it caught on with me and then with my roommate.
              When someone mentions 'god' as in 'thank god' one or all of us will say 'god has nothing to do with this.'
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                Any time a friend mutters "God" "Oh God" "Jesus" etc, one of us will usually respond with "Yes?"
                I do shit like this all the time, especially at work. A customer, for whatever reason, will invoke the name of a deity, and I will look up and deadpan, "No, my name's Jester. It's the beard....it confuses people." Or if I'm cleanshaven, "A common misconception."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

"I'm too young to feel this old." I tend to say this a work a lot, usually after I have been lifting furniture, barbecues, etc, or running across the store, or after bringing in carts, in heavy snow or rain.

I often respond to "How are you?" with "Still crazy."

"Bring on the apocalypse!" This or something similar is said after seeing some of the crap that becomes popular on TV that supports my views that we are past our prime as the dominate race.
                  "Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away," and he proceeds to swallow his own eye. Xiahou Dun

Comment

I tend to use a general term of endearment to everyone: Dumpling. And in this, a usual greeting from me will be: "Dumpling(s), you're alive!!" *hugs*

A phrase I borrowed from me mam is "Shit-arse-damn-and-bugger-it."
                    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                      I do this all the time myself, or I'll say "You called?".

Quoth Eisa View Post
                      ^That reminds me how sometimes I yell "FINLAND!" or "son of a basket weaver!" when upset.
                      Reading this, and I immediately thought of Liu Bei, who was often insulted by his enemies calling him a "weaver of mats and shoes" denoting his humble origins despite his ancestral connection to the then ruling Dynasty. That reminded me of something I see and use as an insult, calling someone normal.
                      "Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away," and he proceeds to swallow his own eye. Xiahou Dun

Comment

My most common one is "Leave it be", which I find a useful phrase with kids and coworkers alike.
                        Beyond that I've a tendency for therefore and nevertheless which I just find to be satisfying words. Oh yes, and the phrase "Wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead" does tend to crop up quite a bit when dealing with customers.
                        I don't really swear but do tend to resort to "ye gods" when under stress; actually, thinking about it my blasphemy does tend to be in the plural for some reason.

Comment

I thought of another one, because I said it today at work. "That worked well." I usually say it in a sarcastic, even tone when something doesn't go as planned. For example, I said it today at work when I dropped a box instead of loading it onto the dolly/cart/two-wheeler/whateverthefuckyoucallit as I had planned. My response was to look at the box, shake my head, pick it back up and mutter "That worked well!" to myself.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I forgot one: "slap your mama good" I have no idea where I picked that up, it sounds Southern to me, but I've never been to the South.
                            That phrase is my go-to restaurant review if I really like the place.

Comment

The word I use all the time is: SHEESH. It's my favorite word to use. Usually said in an exasperate tone.

The other word I use a lot of, is FOOK.
                              And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

I like to steal a lot of Britishisms:

I daresay
                                Brilliant
                                Wot
                                and so on

Fabulous is a word I use a lot to express enthusiasm.

Great Googly Moogly is an expression I use when profanity is inappropriate (needless to say, I use this one alot).

Sucks to be you = No sympathy from me, dumbass.

Butt nugget = variant on asshat
                                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X