This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: The End is Nigh

End of football season that is, and on the one hand, I'll be happy to get some sleep, on the other, I'll sure miss stuff like this. At least until next year.

Flakes with Fakes

Perhaps our intrepid student in this story was taking an economics class as an elective and decided to put that knowledge to good use.

"Why?" she may have wondered, "Why do I have to buy three temp permits so my friends can visit me this weekend? I can just buy one, and then use it to forge two others, for only 1/3 the price!"

Well, the reason that doesn't work is when I towed those two friends of yours in for their use of said fake permits, the costs and fees between them were $290 for tows/tickets, and the incalculable cost of shame, assuming they had any, which probably put your projected savings into the red, sad to say.

You were a bit dumbstruck how you got caught as you thought the fakes "were pretty good"

And they were.

Except for the obvious scissor marks

And the fact you didn't use card stock, so they were too thin, too wrinkly.

And, because you used white paper and not colored card stock, they were only the right shade of green on the front, the back was still, well, white.

And the fact that they were identical between them, even things that can never truly be congruent no matter how hard one may try, like the secretary's handwriting and the strokes of the felt tip pen that made them, were the EXACT SAME on both, which can only be accomplished by mechanical-aided mass production

And the fact mechanical-aided mass production isn't foolproof either. Your printer hiccuped and for some reason bumped everything on one of the fakes about 3 or 4 pixels left, halfway though, right in the MIDDLE of that row of letters. The resulting fault line was fairly obvious and would have been caught had you done some post-printing QC.

And the fact you parked those cars within 10 feet of each other, one suspicious permit leads to me looking for more in the same vicinity...

But yeah, aside from all of THAT, they were GOOD!

Good for a laugh

As they went in the trash

Better luck next time

The Fake Returns, With a Vengeance

Speaking of finding on suspicious permit, that complex where we had 4 fakes last week was at it again.

Seems one of them didn't learn his lesson.

Well, he learned the WRONG lesson.

What being charged $130 to get his car back should have taught him was "Don't forge sh*t" instead, the REAL Aesop was apparently "Don't forge sh*t and do a sh*tty job" because this time, it was a truly VALIANT effort.

He had the right color, right shape, right size, right dates, even had the backside right, where there SHOULD be a "remove before driving" warning that 99% of caught fakes forget to include. But he actually remembered to flip it over and run it though the printer the second time to get that on there.

Alas, he forgot one tiny little thing.

The serial number on the bottom, that should be unique to just one permit.

It wasn't.

Permit 00212 was already accounted for in that lot, two cars down from the suspected fake.

You may be ramping up your forging skillz (tm) but, In turn, I'm ramping up my diligence when I have a known "problem lot" that's ripe for these kind of shenanigans, so what might have passed by unnoticed at DEFCON 5 is sure as heck going to blip the radar when were at DEFCON 1 and primed to fire.

At this rate though, another weekend of trying and you'll probably finally be able to forge one I can't detect, but by that point, the semester will be over, the permits will change, and all that effort put into getting one past Da Man (tm) will have been for naught, as you've already forked over $390 worth of tows and whatever your production overhead was in the desire to not pay him, well, a LOT LESS than that for a real permit...

Oh well, who am I to judge you? Knock yourself out and go for the three-peat. I'll be over here in the meantime, sleeping on this huge pile of ill-gotten money, some of which is yours, I believe.

That Relationship is Over

The young heroine of this next story found herself in quite the pickle.

Seems that she returned to her SUV, only to find Spitzilla had it halfway to towsville.

She asks why this is so. He informs her that she has 4 unpaid week-old parking tickets that are delinquent now, and one on her windshield that's just a baby, being only about 10 minutes old, the whole ticket family being the result of her persistent insistence of parking at parking meters and not paying them. Once you've got that many, the ticket folks just decide to stop wasting paper on you, and give you the cold steel hook instead.

So, she owes a $75 drop, a $15 ticket, and 4 $25 tickets before her car can be consider to have repaid it's debt to society.

She protests, she has 10 days to pay tickets before they count against her.

Spiz flips over the envelope of the ticket on the car and points out it says, right on the back,

"Tickets not paid in 48 hours are considered delinquent, all unpaid tickets will be prosecuted to fullest extent of law"

So much for THAT theory.

This upsets the young woman's boyfriend, who has caught up to the party. And upon learning something bad is happening to his fair lady, he does the only appropriate thing for his age/gender demographic.

He goes full "bro"

You NEVER go full "bro"

I wasn't there, so this was all through Spitz' memory, and, according to him, Bro-friend looked to have already had a few to start the day, so a lot of it was incoherent.

According to Spitz, bro attempted to "accidentally" bump into him and start a fight. He then tried to fight with everyone walking by on the sidewalk, some of whom had the nerve to point out that his girlfriend was getting towed, or maybe just looked at the developing trainwreck a little too long. No takers there either. Convinced it was because they just didn't know what a bad ass Bro was, he loudly declared he "wasn't scared" to fight, because he'd been kicked out of a bar the night before, for fighting... still no takers.

His now-mortified girlfriend, who's not happy about the tow, but is nonetheless being compliant, tells him to calm down, he's embarrassing her.

Brofriend still is itching for a fight.

She tells him to just go inside the Starbucks adjacent to where she's parked and get himself a coffee or something, she'll be done paying by the time he gets back. Spitz runs her credit card, gets her a receipt, unhooks the car and pulls clear.

She gets in and takes off.

Spitz noticed what you all probably just did, she DIDN'T wait for brofriend after all, and I don't think it was an accident...... too bad Spitz had to go help a person who'd locked themselves out of their car, I so wanted to know what Bro's face looked like when he came back...

That relationship is probably a goner.

Maybe it all Makes Sense.. If Yer High.

I don't know what's worse about this particular concrete palace of an apartment we tow from. Is it the fact that the first 4 floors are an impenetrable catacomb masquerading as a parking garage? With 90 degree turns, lack of lighting, low overheads, and the occasional minotaur encounter? Or maybe it's the exterior, the poster child for everything that was wrong with the brutalist school of architecture, hideous even BEFORE it got slathered in a 3-color combo (red-orange/brown/tan) that I was certain had been ruled illegal on mental health grounds since the 1980 ruling in Rodgers v. Glidden Paint Co. was upheld?

The office secretary is MOST CERTAINLY a front runner on the gripe list, due to her habit of double-leasing parking spaces, as in, she'll rent space #44, to multiple people, up to THREE, and the first day of classes, we'll end up towing two people who technically paid for the space. This semester alone we've had six or so give-backs for this very reason.

YOU HAVE A FILE! HOW CAN YOU NOT NOTICE THERE'S ALREADY A NAME IN THERE?!!. OR TWO?! OR THREE?!!!

And worst of all, when she calls up to tell us we've once again just wasted 20 minutes and a gallon of diesel because that car we just towed in? We have to let them go cuz it was her bad, he he he, sorry..... ugh... That laugh of hers doesn't help either. Makes it pretty clear she thinks the chaos she sews is just HILARIOUS.

Yeah, keep laughing there, Joeleine, one of these days, my fantasy about opening a Christmas gift and finding it's an article of clothing that's been partially if not WHOLLY woven from YOUR LARYNX is bound to come true!!!!

Whew, now that that infuriating but necessary backstory is out of the way, on to the story itself.

Because the filing system there is a mess, it took them four weeks to figure out that the one car that kept parking in space 38 didn't belong there, because it wasn't leased. We towed it in, and it sat for 3 days, accruing storage before the owner found it missing.

He came in with his buddy, and, had a bad case of verbal diarrhea in the front office... instead of actually paying, he wanted to argue, and argue and argue....

For FORTY minutes.

What were they arguing about?

- They LIVE there, so we can't tow them (You may LIVE there, but unless you opt for the parking space when you rent, and the extra $600 per semester that entails, you're SOL)
    - Since they'd gotten away with it for 4 weeks, the apartment had their chance to catch them, and failed, so they can't just suddenly... catch them... or something.... yeah, the one time you sped and didn't get caught doesn't grant you immunity from ever being caught in the future.
    - Our towing signs don't meet legal requirements, the "legal requirements" he cited don't exist in this state, maybe his home state, but not here.
    - We aren't a legal towing business because our business signs out front don't have our posted hours on them, day by day, (the "24 hours" isn't good enough) Again, this may be the case back where he's from, but not here
    - Their car is the ONLY form of transportation they have, therefore, we cannot "withhold personal means of transportation" from them (watch us )
    - We can't charge storage (the fact we did kinda shoots that down)
    - Since THEY didn't ask for a tow, THEY don't have to pay! It's the apartment's bill! (Wow, there's flawed logic, bad logic, and then there's that... MOON logic!)

So after about a half an hour of this happy horsecrap, we decide it's ultimatum time, SURRENDER: Or be blown into 200,000 micro cells! Oops, that one was intended for Marvin Martian, ahem, I meant to say: Pay or hit the bricks.

Well, gee, now we get to the REAL reason for all the arguing, they can't pay. They're just Poor College Kidz (tm) and they have no money.

Well, reality is a harsh mistress, ain't she?

No, we apparently don't understand, they're poor, they can't PAY to get the car back, so, uh... something... and they can just have it, right?

Nope

Now they're really getting desperate, desperate enough that they offered us weed.

Yeah, you read that right, they said that if we want to get paid, we're going to have to take marijuana in a barter... uh.... lemme think about that for a few seconds while I pick my brain up off the floor by it's tail as it's trying to run away from that stupidity.... ahh, there we go.

Uh, NO, you cannot pay us with illegal drugs, hell, you can't pay us WITH legal drugs, the only payment we take is cash, credit or debit. If you're that low on funds go SELL the weed and see if that nets you enough cash to pay us.

Now for the finale, they threaten to call the cops on us.

Wha, wait... I ..... for what?

Apparently it's illegal to not give a car back if the owner can't/won't pay, I dunno, I'm still a bit shocked that these two WANT to call the cops AFTER having offered us WEED.

It's your funeral dudes.

So the cops are called.

The pair intercept the officer in the parking lot before he can even come inside and spend the next 10 minutes or so chatting him up while we debate wether or not to tell the cops they probably have weed on them. Oh, it's decision time, here comes Ossafer Friendly now! So, what's up?

"These two guys keep citing laws that don't exist" he says "Told them they can either pay, or take you to civil court, the usual"

Hmmm... oh what the heck, we'll be extra evil today

"You know, they tried to pay us in weed"

"Really?"

"Yep, and then they called you"

Cop shakes his head and goes back outside, after another 5 or so minutes of interlude, he returns with some good news, they'll pay, as soon as the one kid's mom transfers some cash into his account. Seems when given the option of either paying or having their pockets emptied out, they chose to make arrangements to pay. Despite their very poor legal knowledge, they knew at least ONE very valid law that was about to be enforced on them if they continued to be nuisances.

"Gets better" says the cop, "I ran their names through the computer, the one guy's license has been suspended, the other one has a rap sheet about a mile long, disorderly conduct, possession, it was quite a read. Anyway, make sure the one with the bad license isn't the one who drives it off, okay?"

Sure

Eventually the money from Mommykins arrives and the two are allowed to leave.

The kicker, wasn't even their car. It was MOM's.

It must be interesting going through life like that... not that I'd WANT to, but, is there a newsletter or email list of yours I could subscribe to? I get the feeling hilarity like this happens everywhere you two go.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post

Maybe it all Makes Sense.. If Yer High.

The office secretary is MOST CERTAINLY a front runner on the gripe list, due to her habit of double-leasing parking spaces, as in, she'll rent space #44, to multiple people, up to THREE, and the first day of classes, we'll end up towing two people who technically paid for the space. This semester alone we've had six or so give-backs for this very reason.

YOU HAVE A FILE! HOW CAN YOU NOT NOTICE THERE'S ALREADY A NAME IN THERE?!!. OR TWO?! OR THREE?!!!

And worst of all, when she calls up to tell us we've once again just wasted 20 minutes and a gallon of diesel because that car we just towed in? We have to let them go cuz it was her bad, he he he, sorry..... ugh... That laugh of hers doesn't help either. Makes it pretty clear she thinks the chaos she sews is just HILARIOUS.
    I certainly hope your company bills this moron for your wasted time and effort, and it sounds like they're another client you can do without...

Comment

Your stories always boggle the mind.
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

The kicker, wasn't even their car. It was MOM's.
        That wouldn't work here in California. Here, the law is that the registered owner has to be the one to come in and pick up the vehicle. (I know the hard way - my daughter's pickup was in my name when she had her DUI. Worse, she had let the registration lapse. I was picking it up on a Saturday, when the DMV was closed. Fortunately, I made it to the AAA before they closed, renewed the registration, and got the car out of impound. And when she sobered up, I gave her shit over it.) (She was so drunk she was over legal 18 hours later....)
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

If it's the secretary's fault that the parking spots keep getting over-booked, is there any chance that y'all could get away with billing the school/parking garage for the unnecessary tows? Or, at least try?
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Offering to pay in cannibis and then calling the police?! Sounds like he may have had too much to think this would go over.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              Offering to pay in cannibis and then calling the police?! Sounds like he may have had too much to think this would go over.
              That's almost as stupid as some druggie calling the cops because their dealer sold them some bad weed.

Not as stupid, but still pretty close.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

give you the cold steel hook instead.
                Superb phrase.

She tells him to just go inside the Starbucks ...and get himself a coffee or something, she'll be done paying by the time he gets back.
                Spitz noticed what you all probably just did, she DIDN'T wait for brofriend after all,
                Well, she didn't lie. She was done paying by the time he got back. I like the way she thinks. ('cept for the whole tickets thing.)

Comment

When I start a business. I will allow 4 types of payment.

Cash, Credit/Debit, Gold, or Sliver (NO CHECKS). I like shiny metals

I will never accept any other substance as a form of payment.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Well, she didn't lie. She was done paying by the time he got back. I like the way she thinks. ('cept for the whole tickets thing.)
                    Makes you wonder if it wasn't his idea to park there in the first place, because he'd deal with any issues...
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Makes you wonder if it wasn't his idea to park there in the first place, because he'd deal with any issues...
                      Yeah, my ex was like that. He didn't tell me that he had this habit of not paying the meter any time he went downtown. Of course, it was when I went downtown, that it got towed. I called the cops, they said it was towed for unpaid tickets. I said I'd never gotten a ticket; they asked if anyone else drove the car. So I paid & got the car back. I opened the glove box and it was FILLED with unpaid tickets.

That marriage didn't last long.
                      I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                      - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        Actually I'm pretty sure it was her idea, passed the exact same car parked along the curb in front of the Starbucks again, yesterday, with 2 more tickets on it....

Either they've reconciled, or she's just not that bright.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Actually I'm pretty sure it was her idea, passed the exact same car parked along the curb in front of the Starbucks again, yesterday, with 2 more tickets on it....

Either they've reconciled, or she's just not that bright.
                          Well if the former is true, then so is the latter...

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                            Well if the former is true, then so is the latter...
                            Nah. Two mentally crippled people like that deserve each other.

Comment

I live in a "green" state, so if they lived *here* instead of *there* they *might* have been able to get away with it...but not knowing how much they owed I really couldn't be sure. I think we can only have something like one ounce per person and I have no idea how much an ounce goes for...so depending on the quality of the weed and the amenability of the tow driver...
                              No. They still fail.

Comment

Working...
                              X