Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd comment about someone else's baby...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my youngest was a baby, people would ALWAYS remark about her. She was (and still is) a really adorable baby and people would comment on her looking like a doll, on her full head of hair, her smile. I didn't mind and would thank them. But then you would get the ignorant assholes (and unfortunately it was only women) who had to make comments in that voice "OMG! Look at all that haaaaaaair!! How did she get so much haaaaaaair" (I ate rogaine bitch) or after she learned to walk and people assumed she was younger than she was due to her size "OMG!! She's how old? Why is she so smaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll???" (Bitch, how would you feel if my child looked at you and brayed OMG! Why are you so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? You just insulted a 2 year old with a congenital heart defect and another birth defect that affects her mouth thus causing feeding problems so quit braying your ignorant comments!!)

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
      When I encounter babies in public, I'd generally rather talk to them than the parent(s), especially if they're at the babbling stage.

Baby: HadadaDAAdada.
      Me: Nice to meet you, too.
      Baby: DadaDAAda dada gaaAAAAH!
      Me: And then what?
      Baby: Buh. Ga-Wah!
      Me: Well, I disagree, but I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

Stuff like that.
      I've done that too, and seen it done as well.

Baby: HadadaDAAdada
      Them: Really?
      Baby: DadaDAAda dada gaaAAAAH!
      Them: No kidding!
      Baby: Buh. Ga-Wah!
      Them: And then what happened?

At which point the baby actually clammed up and looked thoughtful, like they were trying to remember what happened next.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

As someone else said, the most you can say is "Oh, such a cute baby!"

When my own daughter was a baby, a woman commented "Such a pretty little girl. She's much cutter than you were." To her own teenaged daughter. WTF!!!! I wanted to slap her and hug the teen.
        It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

When presented with a squawking child to admire,I just go with 'Ooh...I wonder how far they would bounce'...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            I can't believe the number of people who squeal, "Oh my gosh! He's SO TALL!"
            "Yes, we're hoping he'll be nine foot by his sixteenth birthday."

As deadpan as you can.

Runner up: "I was skeptical about putting Miracle-gro in his baby food, but it really seems to have done the trick."

People like that don't really deserve common courtesy.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              IF - and only if - you're family/friend-family to the baby, "He/she looks just like (mother or mother's relative) when he/she was that age." And that only if it wasn't adopted/a donor egg and you know it for a fact.
              I'm told that people occasionally commented that my brother got my mother's brown eyes. He is, however, my brother from another mother, since our father took custody of him when he divorced his first wife. I suppose back in the nineteen-fifties it was better to say that than comment on a 22-year-old having a six-year-old child.

My folks were private people. They said little or nothing. The divorce was a touchy subject for my father, who never, ever talked about it to us. All I ever knew was what he'd told Mom, and she passed along to us.

Comment

With my oldest, I heard the "OMG, he's SOOOO TALLLL!!!" and still do. He was always "above average" on the height chart. He's also got big feet.. and so does his little brother. Neither of my kids could wear the newborn or the 0-3 month socks when they were born, because they both had big feet!

I've learned to just thank the nice people and ignore the rude, because my temper can be used for more constructive things, like breaking down brick walls using my head..

For the record, I've looked at both my kids right after they were born and said I had an alien. I'm weird.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  What? I .. but .. wait what?! On what planet is that acceptable? I just..

We apologize for the technical troubles, Mytical's brain has just packed it's bag and went off to vacation in Tahiti. It's last words were "Somebody stop the planet, I want to get off."
                  Ah, Tahiti. It's a magical place.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Guess you're never too young to be fat-shamed.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                    X